Best QB in 2007

Guest workinprogress

QUOTE(Footballfan15 @ Apr 16 2007 - 09:55 AM) 826438499[/snapback]I would like to see the game be played also.

Footballfan---Am I correct in thinking that you open up with Franklin? If so that would give us all a good idea of how you all an Arrent are going to be. Great measuring stick if you ask me.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(workinprogress @ Apr 16 2007 - 10:44 AM) 826438535[/snapback]Footballfan---Am I correct in thinking that you open up with Franklin? If so that would give us all a good idea of how you all an Arrent are going to be. Great measuring stick if you ask me.

Yes Franklin is Hillsboro's opener. Returning the same team except some good offensive linemen. Same QB, RB, WR's and 2 OL. Defense returns 6 starters I think but not sure.

6 or 7 Gold Balls. 6 or 7 QB's. I don't think so. Sonny Gray is I'm sure a great QB but there are others that are just as good but not quite as celebrated. Curt Phillips is being scouted by just as many schools with the same calibre as Gray but no one speaks of it because Sullivan South is not as successful as Smyrna. I suggest that 2007 will produce some interesting results as pertaining to QB's in the state of TN. And Curt Phillips will be among those results.

QUOTE(compusatman @ Apr 16 2007 - 08:59 PM) 826438949[/snapback]6 or 7 Gold Balls. 6 or 7 QB's. I don't think so. Sonny Gray is I'm sure a great QB but there are others that are just as good but not quite as celebrated. Curt Phillips is being scouted by just as many schools with the same calibre as Gray but no one speaks of it because Sullivan South is not as successful as Smyrna. I suggest that 2007 will produce some interesting results as pertaining to QB's in the state of TN. And Curt Phillips will be among those results.

Have you been able to see Sonny play.. if you never knew who this kid was you would think he is to small but what makes him such a great player isnt his size its his smartness and ability to pick up on the game quickly.. this kid is the real deal and is in my opinion (just my opinion)the best in the state...

QUOTE(Live4FridayNite615 @ Apr 16 2007 - 10:38 PM) 826439083[/snapback]Have you been able to see Sonny play.. if you never knew who this kid was you would think he is to small but what makes him such a great player isnt his size its his smartness and ability to pick up on the game quickly.. this kid is the real deal and is in my opinion (just my opinion)the best in the state...

bottom line is that Sonny is the man......there are people who make the game more complicated than it has to be at QB but he does what i believe all qb's should and just play......everything with him instincts which on the field is a lot better than thinking.....even when he makes big runs its not because he has blazing speed (even though he is pretty atheletic) its because he uses instincts just like when throws the ball down field................but having a rocket connected to your doesnt hurt either

My opinion is Sonny Gray!! He is very good and pretty reliable to make the pass. Plus he has great speed and great agility!!!

Good Luck To ever Team and May yall have a great season wit no major injuries!!! /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Sonny is a great player no doubt, I have seen him play more than once. Curt Phillips is a better QB though. Smyrna is LOADED with talent compared to Sullivan South and Sonny Gray has no less than twice the talent to work with. I have seen Curt play a few times as well. He has many SEC schools all over him and was rated as the #3 player in the Elite 11 camp in South Florida recently. Curt is about 6'4 230 and runs a 4.6 40. He runs a 11.2 in the 100 meters and is a musular specimen with a cannon arm. UT, Auburn, Virginia Tech Wake Forest, Vandy, GA Tech, Duke, Folrida, Georgia, Central Florida, Miami, Kentucky are some of the first schools to show serious interest but pretty much every D1 school in the nation has at least contacted him including IVY league schools. The guy will run over or around you, and can through with powerful laser precision. Sonny is good, but Curt is by far the best QB in TN this year and this is comng from a Nashville resident. If Curt played in the Nashville area, the media there would have gotten him much more attention earlier.

QUOTE(bud @ Apr 19 2007 - 10:46 PM) 826441554[/snapback]Sonny is a great player no doubt, I have seen him play more than once. Curt Phillips is a better QB though. Smyrna is LOADED with talent compared to Sullivan South and Sonny Gray has no less than twice the talent to work with. I have seen Curt play a few times as well. He has many SEC schools all over him and was rated as the #3 player in the Elite 11 camp in South Florida recently. Curt is about 6'4 230 and runs a 4.6 40. He runs a 11.2 in the 100 meters and is a musular specimen with a cannon arm. UT, Auburn, Virginia Tech Wake Forest, Vandy, GA Tech, Duke, Folrida, Georgia, Central Florida, Miami, Kentucky are some of the first schools to show serious interest but pretty much every D1 school in the nation has at least contacted him including IVY league schools. The guy will run over or around you, and can through with powerful laser precision. Sonny is good, but Curt is by far the best QB in TN this year and this is comng from a Nashville resident. If Curt played in the Nashville area, the media there would have gotten him much more attention earlier.

what were this kids stats last year??

QUOTE(Live4FridayNite615 @ Apr 19 2007 - 11:54 PM) 826441564[/snapback]what were this kids stats last year??

This link is to Rival.com:Curt Phillips @ Rival.com Curt was all State the past 2 years. He will probably break 11.0 flat in 100 meters before track is over. Bud has seen Sonny Gray play as well as Curt but I have not seen Gray play so I didn't want to speak from ignorance. None of you have seen Curt play so you don't know. He has it all, i.e. arm, speed, quickness, intelegence, size, 65 yard cannon, leader, reserved, and team player. He has the unique and desirable trait of being able to play hurt. His list of schools on Rival.com is a brief example of what in reality is courting him. Spurrier, and Urban Meyer have committed to visit spring drills in addition to most every other SEC coach. He reminds me alot of Heath Shuler. Auburn and Georgia have been interested since his Soph. year. He has been called a QB with a LB mentality.

My fault, Curt has run an electronic 4.54 40.

Here is a good story

South's Curt Phillips Set for Prestigious Elite 11 and Nike Training Camps

by Steve "Parrothead Vol" Wilmoth

TriCitiesSports.com

April 19, 2007

Sullivan South quarterback Curt Phillips’ spring travels continue this weekend with trips to two of the top high school camps in the nation. Phillips will participate in an Elite 11 preliminary camp in Atlanta on Friday night and then make the short trip over to Athens, Georgia for the prestigious Nike Training Camp on Saturday.

Phillips hopes to continue the momentum stemming from outstanding performances at camps in Charlotte and San Antonio. Phillips was coming off shoulder surgery last year and couldn’t participate in many of the same events as a rising junior that has parlayed some of the top Class of 2008 signal callers into the upper echelon of recruiting service rankings.

“My arm strength was hurting me last year,” recalled Phillips. “I had to lay off the deep ball so I’m trying to get that done right now.”

He’s also using work with the South track team to shave time off his sprints.

“Coach Carter and Coach Haynie decided it would be a good idea for me to run track,” said Phillips. “We’re trying to work on my speed and see how I compare to some of the other quarterbacks and running backs out there. We’ve been looking at books about quarterbacks and running backs and we wanted to see how I compared to them. I’m really enjoying track right now.”

Time on the track seems to be paying off for Phillips. At a recent camp in Charlotte, Phillips clocked a 4.54 time in the 40-yard dash. Unconvinced, officials asked the 6’3” 220-lb Phillips for a re-run. He responded with a 4.56.

Phillips also said he compared well with many of the more well-known quarterbacks at the San Antonio All-American combine.

“Most of those guys are huge 6-5 drop-back passers,” said Phillips. “I’m more of a dual threat.”

It will be much the same on Friday in Atlanta where many top quarterback prospects in the Class of 2008 will gather for the Elite 11 regional workout on the Georgia Tech campus. Multiple prospects will be working on their skills and auditioning for a shot at making the Elite 11 quarterback camp, which annually showcases the top high school signal callers in the nation.

“I’m hoping to do a whole lot more dual threat,” added Phillips. “At the Elite 11, that will be hard because I’m one of a few dual threat guys that will be there. A lot of them are straight drop-back guys, too.

The Elite 11 regional in Atlanta is a precursor for the more widely known Elite 11 held each summer in California.

“They have five regional Elite 11’s and invite about 60 kids to each,” explained Phillips. “It’s called the Elite 11, but the top 12 will be chosen and will travel to California during the second recruiting dead week in July.”

Phillips said the regional Elite 11 also holds additional value.

“This is the first camp that the coaches can come and watch,” noted Phillips.

It’s the 10th year of the NIKE Football Training Camp, but changes are in effect this year after new NCAA legislation.

It was last year at this very camp where Knoxville Catholic safety Harrison Smith turned in a sub 4.4 40-yard sprint that vaulted him onto the wish list of most every college recruiter. Smith eventually signed with Notre Dame, but it wasn’t until this camp that the Irish became really interested.

This year, NCAA rules won’t allow individual testing in the 40-yard dash, bench press, etc.

According to the NIKE Training website, the camp has three main purposes.

1. SPARQ TRAINING - Trainers work participants through specific drills designed to improve athletic ability, speed and explosiveness and also how to train specifically for the needs and requirements of their individual positions.

2. POSITION SPECIFIC DRILLS - Position groups work individually on football skills and techniques with top-notch position coaches with college and NFL experience.

3. ONE-ON-ONES - The NIKE Camp concludes with one-on-one passing and non-contact line drills, which many say are the highlight of the camp.

While in Atlanta and Athens, Phillips will also make unofficial recruiting trips to Georgia Tech and Georgia. It’s the second such trip to the Tech campus.

Following a week back at school, Phillips will be on the move next weekend as well.

Phillips will head to Piscataway, New Jersey for the Air Seven QB camp at Rutgers. No doubt he will check out the Scarlet Knights football program as well since coaches from the school contacted South head coach Stacy Carter on Thursday requesting more information and game film.

“Rutgers called today,” said Carter. “Everybody is starting to call. My cell phone almost always full of messages from college.”

The Air 7 Camp includes both on the field and off the field work including film study and classroom testing. During the final session quarterbacks go through an NFL pro-day workout where they receive a final grade and evaluation.

The Air 7 Camp is headed by one of the nation’s most prestigious quarterback coaches, Steve Clarkson. Clarkson is considered by NFL, college, and high school quarterbacks to be one of the most influential quarterback developers in the sport. Among his many clients are NFL QB’s Matt Leinart, Ben Roethlisberger and J.P. Losman. Hall of Famer Joe Montana chose Air 7 Camps for his two sons and the nation’s top prep quarterback from the Class of 2007, Jimmy Clausen, camped with Clarkson for three straight summers.

“Those names speak for themselves,” said Phillips. “He [Clarkson] is Ben Roethlisberger’s personal trainer and coach and he’s widely respected across all of football.”

Phillips has enjoyed the various camps, but those trips are winding down.

“Unless I’m chosen for the Elite 11 in California, I’ll be done with camps after the Air 7,” added Phillips.

He won’t be done traveling though.

“I looked at the calendar the other day and I think in the month of June we are completely booked with trips to individual schools.”