Baseball.......Riverdale

shadoe

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Winners Inc @ Apr 13 2007 - 08:13 PM) 826437036[/snapback]There is an enormous contrast between the definition of "fluke" and "upset". A fluke is a chance happening (luck) For example: When I tipped the cup of milk over, nothing spilled. Everybody knows the laws of physics and gravity says the milk will respond to pouring out onto the ground. An upset is a legitimate overturn of what is expected, but without an unlikely interference of the laws of nature. For example: Hillary Clinton won the presidential race and will be our nation's president! /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> . She may not be expected to win, but the fact that she's in the race gives her the potential to win the race. When you say that Oakland's loss was a fluke, it is interpreted by anyone who is competent of the dictionary that Cookeville defied the laws of nature and beat the ungodly, unbeatable Oakland Patriots. So my friend, I'm glad you gave me the option of calling the occurance an upset, because it was nothing more than an upset. But to put "upset" and "fluke" in the same category of choices is like saying, "you can call this pit bull a cat or a dog... whatever term suits your fancy." My point: Baseball is a verrrrry mysterious game. You can go out on any given night against any given team and have your butts' handed to ya if you aren't ready to play. It's a perfect game with perfect philosophy, perfect strategy, and perfect chemistry. If all of these aren't applied by one team but all are applied for the other, anything can happen.... Gotta love the game. Not taking anything away from Oakland... congrats on the riverdale sweep /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Extremely well said - a little wordy, but well said. I agree that "fluke" cannot explain a 7 inning loss in a baseball game. If so, then I guess it could have been a "fluke" that Oakland beat us in the Warrior Classic when we threw our #4/5 pitcher and had to withstand the homefield advantage (with the PA system/announcing, K-Mart special blue lights, etc.) in a tournament that IMO should not have games with said advantage. Oakland is good, but definitely not above being "upset".

QUOTE(hasbeen7 @ Apr 14 2007 - 04:19 PM) 826437523[/snapback]Extremely well said - a little wordy, but well said. I agree that "fluke" cannot explain a 7 inning loss in a baseball game. If so, then I guess it could have been a "fluke" that Oakland beat us in the Warrior Classic when we threw our #4/5 pitcher and had to withstand the homefield advantage (with the PA system/announcing, K-Mart special blue lights, etc.) in a tournament that IMO should not have games with said advantage. Oakland is good, but definitely not above being "upset".

sorry... i like to publish novels through coacht /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

QUOTE(oaklandPOWER @ Apr 13 2007 - 10:31 PM) 826437174[/snapback]There is a such thing as a fluke loss. A team can lose even when the other team doesn't outplay them. Oakland is a prime case of this. Cookeville didn't outplay them-- Oakland didn't play to it's potential. Fluke is defined as "a stroke of luck". It was Cookeville's "stroke of luck" that Oakland didn't play to it's potential that night. And by winning 27 of 28 games so far, one can say that the one Patriot loss was a "stroke of luck" for the opposing team.

Sorry for getting off the subject rhs man just thought i should throw my opinion in there. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Perhaps it was coaching, Cookvile's Chaffin is one of the state's best!!!

QUOTE(hasbeen7 @ Apr 14 2007 - 04:19 PM) 826437523[/snapback]Extremely well said - a little wordy, but well said. I agree that "fluke" cannot explain a 7 inning loss in a baseball game. If so, then I guess it could have been a "fluke" that Oakland beat us in the Warrior Classic when we threw our #4/5 pitcher and had to withstand the homefield advantage (with the PA system/announcing, K-Mart special blue lights, etc.) in a tournament that IMO should not have games with said advantage. Oakland is good, but definitely not above being "upset".

You must be a USJ fan that still isn't used to getting run ruled /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />