Pitchers throwing too many innings

eaglefan85

What do you think about coaches that over use high school pitchers? Example; Pigeon Forge had a kid that threw a complete 10 inning game about 2 weeks ago. Coach stated in local paper that he only threw something like 100-105 pitches. People in attendence said he threw at least 150 pitches of not over 200. Any thoughts?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(eaglefan85 @ Apr 13 2007 - 10:43 AM) 826436746[/snapback]What do you think about coaches that over use high school pitchers? Example; Pigeon Forge had a kid that threw a complete 10 inning game about 2 weeks ago. Coach stated in local paper that he only threw something like 100-105 pitches. People in attendence said he threw at least 150 pitches of not over 200. Any thoughts?

This will always be an issue. Hopefully, most coaches use wisdom when it comes to pitch count. By this point in the year, getting up to 120-130 pitches might be OK if the pitcher has had and will receive the proper rest between starts and if he has built up to that point. I would be more concerned with pitchers who are thrown every 3-4 days. I saw the Jackson Sun today where the McPherson kid at JCM pitched again yesterday after throwing one of their district games against Brighton on Monday. What's going on there?

QUOTE(eaglefan85 @ Apr 13 2007 - 10:43 AM) 826436746[/snapback]What do you think about coaches that over use high school pitchers? Example; Pigeon Forge had a kid that threw a complete 10 inning game about 2 weeks ago. Coach stated in local paper that he only threw something like 100-105 pitches. People in attendence said he threw at least 150 pitches of not over 200. Any thoughts?

Tough Call. As a kid he may feel that his arm feels good but it could hurt him in the long run but what does he do? Tell the coach to pull him? A high school coach should be trying to prepare his kids for the next level and not hurt them in the process. Winning championships is a great thing but a high school coaches first goal should be to try and develop kids to go to the next level. Unfortunatley that is not the case in most schools.

QUOTE(catsbackr @ Apr 13 2007 - 11:20 AM) 826436783[/snapback]Just a different point of view, don't crucify me....

How many HS kids go to the next level from an individual team? 5%-10%, maybe, at the most.

Let 'em pitch, their senior year in HS baseball will probably be the last time the ever get to pitch.

If you count warm ups between innings and bull pen prior to start of game, this pitcher threw will over 250

pitches. Too many in my book!

QUOTE(catsbackr @ Apr 13 2007 - 12:20 PM) 826436783[/snapback]Just a different point of view, don't crucify me....

How many HS kids go to the next level from an individual team? 5%-10%, maybe, at the most.

Let 'em pitch, their senior year in HS baseball will probably be the last time the ever get to pitch.

Senior year or not, throwing more than 120+ pitches is too much for a young arm. You run the risk of tearing the labrum or rotator cuff. I feel there should be more limits set in middle school and/or high school on how many pitches that is thrown. Not only does arm problems affect pitchers but catchers also. Even if these young men do not play in college/pros, the damage is done and they can suffer arm problems then end up having surgery. Even a lot of the pros have to have surgery to repair damage that was done when they were younger.

QUOTE(catsbackr @ Apr 13 2007 - 01:02 PM) 826436888[/snapback]Nah, if I knew my Senior year was going to be my last time to pitch, shoot, let me throw 150 pitches per night. This will be most pitchers' last chance for glory. And please don't tell me about later on in life, etc. Their arms will be fine. How many of us make our livings with our arms?

I agree with you to some extent. If it is at the end of the season and your season is on the line then you do anything it takes, but if this is on a consitent basis it is not good because the young man he is talking about in this thread could have a future at the college level somewhere. The game he threw these pitches in was not really a meaningful game. Non-District, Non-Region. Just a grudge between schools. Stupid to put the kids at risk for a coaches rivalry.

QUOTE(catsbackr @ Apr 13 2007 - 03:02 PM) 826436888[/snapback]Nah, if I knew my Senior year was going to be my last time to pitch, shoot, let me throw 150 pitches per night. This will be most pitchers' last chance for glory. And please don't tell me about later on in life, etc. Their arms will be fine. How many of us make our livings with our arms?

LOL, I agree with you catsbackr.....that's what they all think and I would too... but here I am mid-life and 2 rotator cuff surgeries later from old softball(shortstop) injuries that torn my rotator cuff at 17... I slept in recliners with heating pad on shoulder for several years because it hurt so bad. Finally had to have the first surgery at 21 years old... at about 30yrs old it all started again and I spent 6 or 7 years putting up with the pain until it go so unbearable I had to repeat the surgery... I was getting an hour of sleept a night and waking with finger tips numb until early afternoon I had no feeling in the fingers... Now here I am 8 years after surgery and that slight pain is starting again.... I know I have about 10 years before it gets unbearable again but living with a constant nagging pain is harder then you would imagine.

I never had anyone teach me the proper throwing mechanics until rehab at 21 years old after that first surgery....but it was too late then to go back and change things!

Did I have fun... you bet ya... would I do it again.... if somebody erased the memory of the pain before they sent me back I certainly would do the same thing again.....but if you let me keep my memory when I go back to re-live my teenage years....welp, rest assured that I would find out how to throw properly and how to rest my arm so as to limit the chance of hurting my shoulder!

So don't be too quick to dismiss these guys that are telling you to take care of your arm and give it proper rest.... That still might not be enough but it is a good place to start... winning isn't everything, I cannot even remember how many games we won or lost in my High School softball carreer anymore...I just wish I had taken better care of my shoulder!

i was a sr pitcher last year and i know the feeling of not wanting to come off the mound knowing that i might never walk back on the mound ever again. but you have to be logical. it is a sport that i loved, but it is a sport. i have the rest of my life ahead of me, and there is no need to risk an injury that i will have to deal with for the rest of my life. every pitcher knows their own arm better than anyone else, but you have to be smart. no kid is ever going to ask to come out. by the time you reach about 90 or so pitches, your arm is kind of numb. you won't feel the pain or consequences of that many pitches til the next day. there is a fine line of pushing yourself to get the most out of you or going overboard of risking injury. the coach needs to take care of his players.