Daylight or Dark?

back@home

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(back@home @ Apr 17 2007 - 10:22 PM) 826440004[/snapback]Does hitting during night games effect players hitting vs. hitting during ones in the day???

If so, how???

What do you think???

i think the sun effects the feilders more than the batter...having umpired for a long time i dont recall the sun ever being in my eyes however as a feild umpire you always have to contend with the sun

QUOTE(riverdaleman @ Apr 17 2007 - 11:35 PM) 826440014[/snapback]i think the sun effects the feilders more than the batter...having umpired for a long time i dont recall the sun ever being in my eyes however as a feild umpire you always have to contend with the sun

Page for some reason built their field so the batter faces into the sun in the evening.

QUOTE(riverdaleman @ Apr 17 2007 - 10:35 PM) 826440014[/snapback]i think the sun effects the feilders more than the batter...having umpired for a long time i dont recall the sun ever being in my eyes however as a feild umpire you always have to contend with the sun

If you ever play at Millington's (just north of Memphis), home field the setting sun will also be in your (batter's and umps') eyes.

QUOTE(davidlimbaugh @ Apr 18 2007 - 11:49 AM) 826440304[/snapback]Elias/MLB has been tracking Day vs Night and Grass vs Turf and other variables for years:

Examples:

http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/individual_player...&statType=1

or

http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/individual_player...&statType=1

Some hit better during the day, others at night....

I would think comparing major leaguers day vs. night stats to high school isn't fair. At major league stadiums you have state of the art lighting.....Some high school fields have very ample lighting but then you always have parks that don't have nearly enough lights and that can make picking up the ball from the pitcher very difficult.

QUOTE(pedo_29 @ Apr 18 2007 - 12:45 PM) 826440361[/snapback]I would think comparing major leaguers day vs. night stats to high school isn't fair. At major league stadiums you have state of the art lighting.....Some high school fields have very ample lighting but then you always have parks that don't have nearly enough lights and that can make picking up the ball from the pitcher very difficult.

I agree - I was making the point that MLB tracks it WITH great lighting and you can see how it affects some players so you can just imagine how it affects folks in high school ball.....

I'm not sure if the lights have as much to do with it as do the weather conditions when the sun goes down.

I've always felt that the adrenalin started flowing when the lights came on, and the players felt more like playing. But, you get into the other factors- cooler air, which is great in the summer, but not in the spring- especially this past week of 'dogwood winter'.

I think personally, that it has to do with a player's mentality. Traditionally, baseball just before or right at dusk seems to be played with more enjoyment and intensity.

As I said, though, depending on the time of year, that is usually the most comfortable time of the day, which leads to more hitting, better fielding, etc.

Just my opinion.