Are JV players ineligible for varsity if they transfer?

cutoff

QUOTE(Butchie @ Apr 19 2007 - 02:30 PM) 826441225[/snapback]Actually the rules say he has to sit out a whole season which is some say twelve months but actually if he moved last yr he can play for his new team if they reach the District this yr. Example Logan Poore played for JCM last yr second base. TSSAA said he cannot play Varsity for Mckenzie this year but if Mckenzie reaches the District playoffs he can play because actually he has missed a whole season. But he can play JV all yr. So good luck with your delimma. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Not one whole season...One calender year from the date of last participation.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Butchie @ Apr 19 2007 - 03:08 PM) 826441248[/snapback]By God, /mad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" /> If Mckenzie makes it to District Playoffs Logan Poore will be eligible to play so there.

If he plays before the 12 month timeline, his Mckenzie will forfiet any game he played in unless he moved. Surely he didn't go to JCM and then start commuting from Jackson to Mckenzie. He must have relocated which throws the eligibility question out the window.

QUOTE(billybuck @ Apr 19 2007 - 01:53 PM) 826441204[/snapback]I understand what you are saying but my point is that the letter of the last date comes from the school that the player left. If they have no record then they cannot just invent one. That makes it difficult to punish someone who played only J.V. unless the coach keeps accurate records of J.V. participation. I know if they participate they are not eligible but it must be kept up with.

Interesting point. TSSAA does not mention anything about records. Does anyone report or keep records of JV games? It just seems like overkill if a kid only had very limited JV playing time and could play somewhere else. Seems like the school would have to go out of their way to prove someone played JV in order to block the play at another school. The whole point of the rules should be the best interest of the kid.

there was a kid from oliver springs that transfered to rockwood and if u played or was on the varsity or the j.v roster u are ineligible.u are eligible either by moving or if u never seen the field on the varsity game or a j.v game.but even if he play 1 inning in a varsity game or a j.v game then he is ineligible til the day of his last varsity or j.v. game the kid from oliver springs played in his district tourney his freshman year and had to set out til the following district tourney game of the next year b/c he didnt move and then after that date he was eligible to play but ur best choice is to move and not set out the year.

QUOTE(cutoff @ Apr 19 2007 - 10:58 AM) 826440993[/snapback]If a JV player never plays a varsity game, would they still have to sit out of all varsity sports for a year if they transfer without a move?

What is your question here? are you wondering if the JV player could go to a different school and play at a varsity level?

If thats the question, the JV player is ineligible for a year from his last participation in a varsity game. If he has never played a varsity game then from my understanding, he is good to go and can play when transferred. But you have to take in consideration that this is all sports so if he is a JV baseball player but varsity basketball player then he cant play (any sport) for a year from the last date he started a varsity basketball game.

I'm not positive though, what PurpleGrad is saying sounds right but i have not checked the book on this in a while.

QUOTE(JohnDoe @ Apr 22 2007 - 11:06 AM) 826442820[/snapback]What is your question here? are you wondering if the JV player could go to a different school and play at a varsity level?

If thats the question, the JV player is ineligible for a year from his last participation in a varsity game. If he has never played a varsity game then from my understanding, he is good to go and can play when transferred. But you have to take in consideration that this is all sports so if he is a JV baseball player but varsity basketball player then he cant play (any sport) for a year from the last date he started a varsity basketball game.

I'm not positive though, what PurpleGrad is saying sounds right but i have not checked the book on this in a while.

I will tell you this much. If a player plays J.V. for the entire season at one school and then transfers to another it all depends on the school they come from and what last date of participation that school puts. The TSSAA will send a letter back to the school he is attending now that says when he is eligible. If the original school does not have records of when the athlete played then it can be challenged. Trust me I have done it. You must have a date of last participation and be able to provide proof of that. For those of you who think it is twelve months then good luck if you ever transfer.