Webb vs. Catholic

shims4

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(shims4 @ Apr 24 2007 - 10:04 PM) 826444477[/snapback]Ayres scored on a ball sent in by Eric Hultquist then Chase had an incredible volley to tie before half...both off set pieces. then in the second half Hutchins had a rocket from about 22 or so out that went through the wall to beat joey. also the refs were some of the best i've seen in quite a while. overall it was a great game, full of action. it'll be on tv this saturday at nine.

yeah u obviously play for webb because those refs were all onesided and the set pieces were not even fouls. hutchins even admitted that the second goal wasnt even a foul. good try thou.

Yeah i definitely do not play for Webb, good try yourself though...the refs were more consistent on calls and talking to players than most this year. And fyi, Catholic got every foul call but one or two after Hutchins' goal. Of course Hutchins would say that to you, he's not trying to make trouble...the refs may have missed couple calls throughout the night but that wasn't even close to the most questionable one of the night. Don't try and start anything here...it was a good game on both sides of the ball and there's no reason to be sore about it.

QUOTE(shims4 @ Apr 24 2007 - 10:57 PM) 826444571[/snapback]Yeah i definitely do not play for Webb, good try yourself though...the refs were more consistent on calls and talking to players than most this year. And fyi, Catholic got every foul call but one or two after Hutchins' goal. Of course Hutchins would say that to you, he's not trying to make trouble...the refs may have missed couple calls throughout the night but that wasn't even close to the most questionable one of the night. Don't try and start anything here...it was a good game on both sides of the ball and there's no reason to be sore about it.

i agree webb played a teriffic match congrats on the win. they came to play. and catholic looked flat but i just personaly watching the game felt that catholic should have not got some calls or a few more calls.

QUOTE(numba1stunna @ Apr 24 2007 - 09:04 PM) 826444587[/snapback]i agree webb played a teriffic match congrats on the win. they came to play. and catholic looked flat but i just personaly watching the game felt that catholic should have not got some calls or a few more calls.

Whining will get you no where.

QUOTE(numba1stunna @ Apr 24 2007 - 09:04 PM) 826444587[/snapback]i agree webb played a teriffic match congrats on the win. they came to play. and catholic looked flat but i just personaly watching the game felt that catholic should have not got some calls or a few more calls.

I agree both teams looked good, Catholic may have been flat due to that was their sixth game in the past six days, there legs had to be tired but that Nieri kid never looks tired, he is awesome and I enjoy watching him play.

Congratulations to both teams on a very, very well played match.

I thought the officiating was quite good overall. You can always see calls differently than the center, but I thought the crew was even tempered and consistent throughout the match. I saw no effort by the center to become an obvious factor in the match the way several of his ref colleagues do. He seemed intent on preserving fairness and I thought he did a good job. The second Webb goal either went through the wall or the wall was set with a gap. Hutchins hit a rocket, but there was nothing tricky about it. Foul or no foul, the goal was preventable and cannot be reasonably blamed on the official.

The first two goals were well executed set plays. Overall, I thought Catholic had the better of play, particularly in the second half when some of the Irish attacks were text book---except for the lack of the finish, of course. I wondered about the effect of playing 6 games in the last 7 days; however, until the very end I didn't think the Irish looked overly tired. They should be able to catch their breath before the tournaments start and a match of this caliber will strengthen both teams regardless of outcome.

To me, the difference in the game were two absolutely fantastic saves by Webb's keeper---one in each half---where Catholic hit rockets that he parried over the crossbar on reflex saves. Nine out of ten times both of those shots would have been goals. He played a very fine game.

Good luck to the Spartans in the DII East tournament. Personally, I'd like to see Webb join 4 other teams from Knoxville as state finalists in DII, A/AA and AAA---including the Irish, of course.

On hutchins' free kick, the wall moved a little bit when Webb ran at it and the third and fourth players on the left jumped sideways and the shot snuck through about chest high I believe.

Overall it was one of the most exciting games to watch this year. Both teams played well and had excellent chances. Best of luck to both teams in the rest of their seasons, they are two of the best in the state and we should be hearing about each in the postseason.