Why does everybody accept TSSAA rules

LadyEaglesFan

QUOTE(roadrunner2 @ Apr 26 2007 - 10:55 AM) 826445933[/snapback]Then I ask why the high school coaches want all the credit for a ball player that they have in high school. The girls did not get their training in high school they got it in the summer when we are out their when its was cold and when its hot in the summer. High school ball in Tennessee has hurt some kids that are good ball players and have to play on not so good high school teams. I wish the tssaa would play ball in the fall and leave the spring alone. That way the Tennessee teams can play some Georgia teams and see how we compare.

Amen, brother (or sister).........

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(GiveItUp @ Apr 23 2007 - 07:05 AM) 826443229[/snapback]AGREE!!!!! Good Reply! WAKE UP SOFTBALL WORLD. Count your blessings that TSSAA did something right this

time for the wrong reason....In other words their decision just helped your daughter for What Her goal is...a

College Education with a little more softball life. I am sure TSSAA will take the credit but I know that they didn't make this decision for your daughters sake. They were tired of all of the complaints with the unofficial Fall league and HS coaches coaching when they weren't suppose to.

JMO

Somewhat off topic I admit, but...........

It always amuses me when softball and baseball parents begin, with much passion, talking about anything that takes away from their child's possibility of an athletic scholarship.

How many scholarships do you think there are out there? If memory serves me, there are only 11 scholarships available for softball and baseball. Do the math. Hardly anyone, ANYONE, gets a full ride. That means you may get books, you may get books and housing or tuition, but you're probably not going to get it all.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack this topic, now I'll go back to the baseball board.

QUOTE(roadrunner2 @ Apr 26 2007 - 11:55 AM) 826445933[/snapback]Then I ask why the high school coaches want all the credit for a ball player that they have in high school. The girls did not get their training in high school they got it in the summer when we are out their when its was cold and when its hot in the summer. High school ball in Tennessee has hurt some kids that are good ball players and have to play on not so good high school teams. I wish the tssaa would play ball in the fall and leave the spring alone. That way the Tennessee teams can play some Georgia teams and see how we compare.

Play Georgia teams to see how you compare? For example looking st the schedules of Ryan, Riverdale, Beech, MJ, Hendersonville, Dobyns Bennett, St. Benedict. They have played teams from AL, OH, IL, FL, KY, VA, NJ, PA, IN, NC, SC, MS, and AR. Those 7 schools have played 54 games against teams from those states. So why do you think Georgia is the measuring stick for High School softball? Oh yeah, add Soddy to the list and it is 62 schools from those states.

QUOTE(my2cents @ Apr 26 2007 - 08:44 PM) 826446424[/snapback]Play Georgia teams to see how you compare? For example looking st the schedules of Ryan, Riverdale, Beech, MJ, Hendersonville, Dobyns Bennett, St. Benedict. They have played teams from AL, OH, IL, FL, KY, VA, NJ, PA, IN, NC, SC, MS, and AR. Those 7 schools have played 54 games against teams from those states. So why do you think Georgia is the measuring stick for High School softball? Oh yeah, add Soddy to the list and it is 62 schools from those states.

I have coached travel ball in the state of TN for several years. Coached in the fall, spring, and summer and the only time I have ever been approached by a college scout is in the fall. Just because you don't know they are there doesn't mean they're not. This is not even the main point here, "How can the TSSAA tell a parent what their child can do when they are not on any TSSAA roster?" I understand the issue about multiple sports, but life is about making decisions. I have coached girls from all over east TN and never had a high school coach "require" them to play on any team. I have seen high school coaching destroy some players abilities. If TSSAA wants to help student/athletes why don't they rescend the requirement of the head coach being faculty. Wouldn't want a "softball coach" teaching a child Trig now would you? So with scholarships on the line ( doesn't matter how many, partial or full) why would you want Trig teacher coaching softball. I know I climbed up on my soap box, but the facts are the facts. Oh yeah, better play in the spring if you want to at least be .500 at the end of the season. Georgia and Soddy are the standards everybody mentions for a reason.

QUOTE(JC#1fan @ Apr 27 2007 - 10:01 AM) 826446760[/snapback]I have coached travel ball in the state of TN for several years. Coached in the fall, spring, and summer and the only time I have ever been approached by a college scout is in the fall. Just because you don't know they are there doesn't mean they're not. This is not even the main point here, "How can the TSSAA tell a parent what their child can do when they are not on any TSSAA roster?" I understand the issue about multiple sports, but life is about making decisions. I have coached girls from all over east TN and never had a high school coach "require" them to play on any team. I have seen high school coaching destroy some players abilities. If TSSAA wants to help student/athletes why don't they rescend the requirement of the head coach being faculty. Wouldn't want a "softball coach" teaching a child Trig now would you? So with scholarships on the line ( doesn't matter how many, partial or full) why would you want Trig teacher coaching softball. I know I climbed up on my soap box, but the facts are the facts. Oh yeah, better play in the spring if you want to at least be .500 at the end of the season. Georgia and Soddy are the standards everybody mentions for a reason.

I still do not get the love affair with Georgia, are you interested in coaching high school but not a teacher?

We have gotten a lot of opinions on this subject. Since the fall league is not sanctioned by the TSSAA what would happen if all the teams went ahead and played the fall league as usually scheduled. Would they penalize all the teams. When I asked this question it wasn't about girls just getting scholarships, but why would the TSSAA get involved in a fall league where these athletes where basically using this time to better their skills. It just doesn't make sense to step in and try to control a fall league which doesn't have anything to do with the TSSAA scheduling any events or producing a TSSAA champion.

QUOTE(LadyEaglesFan @ Apr 27 2007 - 12:15 PM) 826446878[/snapback]We have gotten a lot of opinions on this subject. Since the fall league is not sanctioned by the TSSAA what would happen if all the teams went ahead and played the fall league as usually scheduled. Would they penalize all the teams. When I asked this question it wasn't about girls just getting scholarships, but why would the TSSAA get involved in a fall league where these athletes where basically using this time to better their skills. It just doesn't make sense to step in and try to control a fall league which doesn't have anything to do with the TSSAA scheduling any events or producing a TSSAA champion.

No it doesn't make any sense for TSSAA to try to control things outside of TSSAA, but they apparently have the power to do so and they don't hesitate to flex their muscles. The rule creates a provision for penalizing players by declaring some ineligible by limiting the number who would be eligible. For example, if 7 girls from one school played together in the fall, that school would only be allowed to place 5 of them on the roster in the spring. In the end, that probably wouldn't be a horrible penalty for a lot of schools as with quite a few, losing the 6th and 7th best players (assuming that the top 7 were the ones actually playing together) wouldn't cripple the HS team... but the school and coach would still be penalized for something completely out of their control and perhaps even knowledge.

I personally think that it is time for a competitive organization, say TennHigh, to be formed as an alternative to an out of control TSSAA.

QUOTE(my2cents @ Apr 27 2007 - 09:30 AM) 826446780[/snapback]I still do not get the love affair with Georgia, are you interested in coaching high school but not a teacher?

No, I would rather be a teacher, that way I could do both. Just kidding, but I do know several qualified individuals that have definately done more for some athlete's careers than their high school coaches. Dana from Seymor (not a teacher

), Sents from West, Almeda (sorry if I spelled this wrong) from Cherokee are all excellent coaches in high school softball. The Taylor brothers from Morristown, Leonard Sams from Gibbs area,Wild from Morristown, to many to mention from Greeneville are all qualified coaches and this was my point. As for Georgia, give respect where respect is due. Go to the Chattanoga-Ringold area and watch some real softball. Am I in love with Georgia? No way I bleed Orange (Red, White, and Blue during high school softball season). Go get 'em Lady Pats!!!

QUOTE(JC#1fan @ Apr 27 2007 - 05:28 PM) 826447083[/snapback]No, I would rather be a teacher, that way I could do both. Just kidding, but I do know several qualified individuals that have definately done more for some athlete's careers than their high school coaches. Dana from Seymor (not a teacher

), Sents from West, Almeda (sorry if I spelled this wrong) from Cherokee are all excellent coaches in high school softball. The Taylor brothers from Morristown, Leonard Sams from Gibbs area,Wild from Morristown, to many to mention from Greeneville are all qualified coaches and this was my point. As for Georgia, give respect where respect is due. Go to the Chattanoga-Ringold area and watch some real softball. Am I in love with Georgia? No way I bleed Orange (Red, White, and Blue during high school softball season). Go get 'em Lady Pats!!!

The reason I ask, is you do not have to be a teacher (faculty) to coach high school softball.

QUOTE(swingaway @ Apr 27 2007 - 03:34 PM) 826447051[/snapback]Ok, so how does that happen. I think there always will be problems with any governing body. Why do I get the feeling there would just be a name change and then new and different problems?

How? I'm not 100% certain. Unfortunately, I think it would have to come from a group of individuals with a passion for sports who have become completely disenchanted with the antics of TSSAA and have the time and ability to create something new from scratch. The problem is that those who are truly passionate about youth sports are already overbooked with their involvement and don't really have the time to coordinate a new or competing organization. Also, unfortunately, many who would fall in this category have already moved into avenues they view as being much more productive and worthwhile (such as AAU basketball and travel softball). Taking on the gorilla is such a huge task and would take a tremendous amount of time - and the resilliancy to take the bashing and combativeness that TSSAA would unleash.

In my view at this point, if there is a movement, it would probably have to start from those involved in the private school ranks. With recent TSSAA rulings such as the multiplier and the new calendar and 50% rules, there is a great deal of disenchantment amoung a lot of private school people. I would also think that the private school would have more latitude and flexibility to consider an alternative than public schools would, in the beginning at least.

I agree that there would be problems with any governing body, complete with new and different problems. Those things are true in collegiate ball, travel ball, and in business in general. But, competition and new startups tend to correct the problems from top heavy, overbearing monoliths. TSSAA has lost touch with reality in a lot of areas and know that they have the ability to do whatever they want and not be challenged in any meaningful way. If nothing else a new governing body, or even a serious threat of a new governing body could be enough to bring them back in line and cause them to make some significant changes in the way they now do business. Competition normally brings changes that are beneficial to the consumer.

Without getting into the travel world too deeply, and while acknowledging that there are too far many "alphabet" governing bodies, the competition of start up organizations has produced positive changes. In a previous life that involved baseball, I watched the Babe Ruth organization go from being the gorilla on the block to being an average, mid-tier organization because they were much like TSSAA is today - bloated, out of control, and somewhat monopolistic. The same process has happened in other travel sports as well. In softball, ASA has been in the same gorilla position, but continues to show signs that they have no ability to learn from history. They were probably in a better position of strength at the start of the process than Babe Ruth was, but travel softball as we know it today is still a relatively new animal. They continue to hold the perception of being the top dog, but the competition from startups and ASA's lack ability or willingness to listen and be appropriately flexible is beginning to produce cracks and signs of potential breakage.

I'm rambling now... but I've been a proponent of a TSSAA alternative for years, so it is impossible to outline a plan in a short forum post in a way that makes much sense. There are, however, a lot of like minded people out there who have the same thoughts... and after this last ruling, are becoming much more vocal. I've personally heard more "it's time to do something" comments over the past year and specifically the past two weeks, than I've ever heard before. Of course, one of us has to get off our butt and start the ball rolling. Sure there will be new challenges, problems, and criticism, but there is no indication that TSSAA has any real concern or interest in the student-athlete or high school athletics. To many of us, it seems as if they are nothing more than a powerful bureaucracy with an overwhelming interest in the bottom line and maintaining their control.

QUOTE(my2cents @ Apr 27 2007 - 08:24 PM) 826447182[/snapback]The reason I ask, is you do not have to be a teacher (faculty) to coach high school softball.

I understand this, thus the referance to Dana from Seymor. The comment was directed toward the head coach position, in which case you do have to be a member of faculty. All head coaches then select their respective assistants, usually one of their buddies with some spare time. I understand this is a softball forum, but take the football coaching situation at JCHS. Ads have been placed in nearly every paper in the country, with multiple applicants coming from other states. What happens when a head coaching job comes open for a softball position? Most likely the faculty will be called together for a conferance and asked "Who wants to coach softball?" The first one to raise their hand is the most likely candidate. I mean no disrespect here because there is some good coaching in high school softball, but "Why is there not the same consideration as when looking for candidates to coach other sports?" Are the girls still not student/athletes the same as any other sport? Do they not deserve the same consideration? How many high school softball coaches in the IMAC have college or comparable experiance? Compare this to football or baseball. As you can tell I am an avid advocate for helping the girls achieve their maximum potiential as we are. Great job MOWEST Trojans for a undeafeted season in the IMAC, this is not as easy as some might think.