Referees?

SoccerBaller07

I've seen this too. Im not going to call out a certain school, but not only have i seen refs that graduated from that school officate the game, these guys played for the same coach while they were in high school. Also, ive seen a ref whose son played and that ref was officating games in a tourny which his son's team was playing in. He was the center in one game, then the AR in the next. Not only should this not be allowed, but the ref himself should have the dignity to remove himself from calling any game which he has any affliation.

I have had several games where a ref has a son on the team we are playing (though the coach has called and asked if this was acceptable before hand). They were actually harder on his son's team, so that people wouldn't think there was favoritism. I think it really depends on the ref.

QUOTE(BigG @ May 2 2007 - 11:51 AM) 826450075[/snapback]I have had several games where a ref has a son on the team we are playing (though the coach has called and asked if this was acceptable before hand). They were actually harder on his son's team, so that people wouldn't think there was favoritism. I think it really depends on the ref.

Agreed. I sometimes think that a ref who has some sort of connection to a school actually goes out of his way to try and make sure no one accuses him of giving a biased effort, thus making bad calls against the school that he is tied with.

I find that refs more often show bias against one team rather than in favor of one. They expect a team to play dirty or just don't like the players/coach/whatever. I can't imagine this comes from alumni loyalty but it could occasionally stem from old rivalries. Bias is a human trait that can't be eliminated, only recognized for self-suppression.

QUOTE(dins8 @ May 2 2007 - 12:56 PM) 826450134[/snapback]Agreed. I sometimes think that a ref who has some sort of connection to a school actually goes out of his way to try and make sure no one accuses him of giving a biased effort, thus making bad calls against the school that he is tied with.

But even that seems unfair. It is really a no-win situation, IMHO. To me, the best course of action would be to excuse oneself from officiating in any match if said official has any ties to that school.

QUOTE(supersteve17 @ May 2 2007 - 03:02 PM) 826450203[/snapback]But even that seems unfair. It is really a no-win situation, IMHO. To me, the best course of action would be to excuse oneself from officiating in any match if said official has any ties to that school.

I agree but this is something that will never be changed /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

In a game the other night all 3 refs had ties to a school. One ref has had 2 children go to the school and both played soccer, boy and girl. The other ref had 2 boys who played, and the last ref's son is on the team as now. I know we may not have enough refs as it is, but you can't tell me there should ever be a game where all 3 refs are tied to the school like that. It was a district game too

I think a responsible ref that cares about their reputation would not ref a game that they have obvious ties to.

If the game does not go well... which some do not, despite good reffing... they have put themselves in a situation to be blamed because of their association.

Its an issue of protecting yourself and your reputation as a ref.