District 9A Crazy Game

EvilleEagles

Saw two things happen that I have never seen at a baseball game before last night at MTCS in the game matching Chapel Hill against Cascade. In the first game, Cascade had runners on 1st and 3rd with 1 out. Fly ball to the outfield for the second out.. Runner at 3rd tags and scores, runner at 1st never tags and gets caught in a run-down, eventually getting out. From what I understand if Chapel Hill would have just stepped on 1st base the run would not have counted, but instead they tagged the runner out and it was an unconventional double play, atleast that's what some of the coaches above me were saying so the run counted. If that wasn't crazy enough and confusing enough... In the top of the 7th, Chapel Hill loads the bases with one out in a tie ball game.. Chapel Hill Player hits a fly ball to shallow left and the shortstop from Cascade sprints after it and barely gets to it... It looks like he will catch it pretty easily but he drops it, throws to 3rd, then the 3rd baseman throws to 2nd for a double play while the runner from third went to the plate to score. No one, even the umpires, really knew what to call, but eventually they ended up calling the force outs at 3rd and 2nd, and no run scored.. Cascade ended up scoring on a walk-off base hit in the bottom half of the 7th.. Great game from both squads, our prayers are with Mr. Henson (Coach's Dad) who was taken by ambulance during the game to the hospital.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(EvilleEagles @ May 8 2007 - 08:36 AM) 826454233[/snapback]Saw two things happen that I have never seen at a baseball game before last night at MTCS in the game matching Chapel Hill against Cascade. In the first game, Cascade had runners on 1st and 3rd with 1 out. Fly ball to the outfield for the second out.. Runner at 3rd tags and scores, runner at 1st never tags and gets caught in a run-down, eventually getting out. From what I understand if Chapel Hill would have just stepped on 1st base the run would not have counted, but instead they tagged the runner out and it was an unconventional double play, atleast that's what some of the coaches above me were saying so the run counted. If that wasn't crazy enough and confusing enough... In the top of the 7th, Chapel Hill loads the bases with one out in a tie ball game.. Chapel Hill Player hits a fly ball to shallow left and the shortstop from Cascade sprints after it and barely gets to it... It looks like he will catch it pretty easily but he drops it, throws to 3rd, then the 3rd baseman throws to 2nd for a double play while the runner from third went to the plate to score. No one, even the umpires, really knew what to call, but eventually they ended up calling the force outs at 3rd and 2nd, and no run scored.. Cascade ended up scoring on a walk-off base hit in the bottom half of the 7th.. Great game from both squads, our prayers are with Mr. Henson (Coach's Dad) who was taken by ambulance during the game to the hospital.

Grat game by both teams last night. I hope everything is going to be okay with Mr. Henson. I would say its a good possibility that these two teams could face eachother again on Wednesday afternoon. If Forrrest can win two games today they would advance to the finals to meet Cascade. Congrats to Cascade on advancing to the district finals and gaining a spot in the regionals with the win last night. Good luck to all teams left playing for the other spot.

Go Champs

Actually Forrest has to only win one game tonight to make it to the finals. It was a great game last night. I hated to lose and I hated for the umpires to decide the game. Anyway we are proud of you rockets keep on going all the way to the region. You have no respect from the other teams. Region would be a great accomplishment for you guys and yes our prayers are definitely with Norman and his family.

QUOTE(EvilleEagles @ May 8 2007 - 08:36 AM) 826454233[/snapback]Saw two things happen that I have never seen at a baseball game before last night at MTCS in the game matching Chapel Hill against Cascade. In the first game, Cascade had runners on 1st and 3rd with 1 out. Fly ball to the outfield for the second out.. Runner at 3rd tags and scores, runner at 1st never tags and gets caught in a run-down, eventually getting out. From what I understand if Chapel Hill would have just stepped on 1st base the run would not have counted, but instead they tagged the runner out and it was an unconventional double play, atleast that's what some of the coaches above me were saying so the run counted. If that wasn't crazy enough and confusing enough... In the top of the 7th, Chapel Hill loads the bases with one out in a tie ball game.. Chapel Hill Player hits a fly ball to shallow left and the shortstop from Cascade sprints after it and barely gets to it... It looks like he will catch it pretty easily but he drops it, throws to 3rd, then the 3rd baseman throws to 2nd for a double play while the runner from third went to the plate to score. No one, even the umpires, really knew what to call, but eventually they ended up calling the force outs at 3rd and 2nd, and no run scored.. Cascade ended up scoring on a walk-off base hit in the bottom half of the 7th.. Great game from both squads, our prayers are with Mr. Henson (Coach's Dad) who was taken by ambulance during the game to the hospital.

I would like to wish a speedy recovery for Mr. Henson also..The plays in question were (1) in the first inning, an unconventional double play occured as in the post above..The run did count. (2) In the second play, the shortstop was out in left field to try to catch a ball that should really have been handled by the left fielder. He was NOT camped out under the ball and it was NOT a situation to make the catch with ORDINARY EFFORT, as the RULE states...The correct call was made by the umpires who made the call immediately and then had to listen to the Forrest coach screaming something about the infield fly rule..(which did NOT apply to this play!!) They tried to calm Coach Hardison down to tell him that this was not an infield fly rule situation. He was confined to the dugout after repeated efforts to continue the game and his attempts to protest a play that cannot be protested. They then reaffirmed their call (run does not count) on routine double play, and the game proceeded. Funny how LITTLE some of the coaches know about the little things in the rule book. Then the Forrest fans really turned ugly with one man even threatening the plate umpire and telling him that he would know who he ( the person yelling) was because he would be in the parking lot "looking for #6".. The ump crew did not lose their composure at any time but remained calm thoughout the ugly mess. Then to put an exclamation point on the night, the Forrest players on the bus before the coaches got out to the bus were hollering and cursing the umpires as they dressed across the parking lot from their bus. Not a surprise since one of them threw the game ball at the base ump when the game was over and the umps were leaving the field!! Even a parent or two made a journey over where the umps were to make a rude comment or two..TOTALLY CLASSLESS! This not hearsay...I was there and saw it all...UNBELIEVABLE ! Other than the fans and a couple of ugly incidents, it was a good game. Both teams made crucial errors and allowed the other team to score when they would not had they made the plays . Good Luck to both teams in the rest of the tourn!

QUOTE(CUBCADET @ May 8 2007 - 09:34 AM) 826454282[/snapback]I would like to wish a speedy recovery for Mr. Henson also..The plays in question were (1) in the first inning, an unconventional double play occured as in the post above..The run did count. (2) In the second play, the shortstop was out in left field to try to catch a ball that should really have been handled by the left fielder. He was NOT camped out under the ball and it was NOT a situation to make the catch with ORDINARY EFFORT, as the RULE states...The correct call was made by the umpires who made the call immediately and then had to listen to the Forrest coach screaming something about the infield fly rule..(which did NOT apply to this play!!) They tried to calm Coach Hardison down to tell him that this was not an infield fly rule situation. He was confined to the dugout after repeated efforts to continue the game and his attempts to protest a play that cannot be protested. They then reaffirmed their call (run does not count) on routine double play, and the game proceeded. Funny how LITTLE some of the coaches know about the little things in the rule book. Then the Forrest fans really turned ugly with one man even threatening the plate umpire and telling him that he would know who he ( the person yelling) was because he would be in the parking lot "looking for #6".. The ump crew did not lose their composure at any time but remained calm thoughout the ugly mess. Then to put an exclamation point on the night, the Forrest players on the bus before the coaches got out to the bus were hollering and cursing the umpires as they dressed across the parking lot from their bus. Not a surprise since one of them threw the game ball at the base ump when the game was over and the umps were leaving the field!! Even a parent or two made a journey over where the umps were to make a rude comment or two..TOTALLY CLASSLESS! This not hearsay...I was there and saw it all...UNBELIEVABLE ! Other than the fans and a couple of ugly incidents, it was a good game. Both teams made crucial errors and allowed the other team to score when they would not had they made the plays . Good Luck to both teams in the rest of the tourn!

Are you SERIOUS my 3 year old son could have caught that ball. It was DEFINITLEY an infield fly. He was camped under it and just dropped it. I did not know a conventional double play was when an infielder dropped a pop up then threw it to third then to second, isn't that what the infield fly is for. Maybe you don't know rules or for that matter the umpires.

QUOTE(FHSFAN @ May 8 2007 - 09:33 AM) 826454281[/snapback]Actually Forrest has to only win one game tonight to make it to the finals. It was a great game last night. I hated to lose and I hated for the umpires to decide the game. Anyway we are proud of you rockets keep on going all the way to the region. You have no respect from the other teams. Region would be a great accomplishment for you guys and yes our prayers are definitely with Norman and his family.

The umps didnt decide the game. every call they made was correct. The call in the top of the seventh was exactly the right call because there was a force at every base. How are you not "getting" respect"???? I made a nice post and didnt rub it in your face. There were nine errors combined before we even reached the 6th inning so as far as this discussion goes, the ball game could have gone either way and that Champs pulled off the W in the end. I truly hope that what was stated by the last poster about Forrest players and fans is untrue. Its a game! Not life or death. Good luck to the champs the rest of the way. Take care of buisness one game at a time...

QUOTE(FHSFAN @ May 8 2007 - 09:42 AM) 826454291[/snapback]Are you SERIOUS my 3 year old son could have caught that ball. It was DEFINITLEY an infield fly. He was camped under it and just dropped it. I did not know a conventional double play was when an infielder dropped a pop up then threw it to third then to second, isn't that what the infield fly is for. Maybe you don't know rules or for that matter the umpires.

Was the ball hit in the infield or outfield?????? Also did he not have to run back to get the ball and also it technicaly was the left fielders ball making it not an INFIELD FLY!!!! The call was correct and the champs won. Hope to see you guys again on Wednesday night. Could the champs make it 4-0 on the season versus the rockets????

QUOTE(FHSFAN @ May 8 2007 - 09:42 AM) 826454291[/snapback]Are you SERIOUS my 3 year old son could have caught that ball. It was DEFINITLEY an infield fly. He was camped under it and just dropped it. I did not know a conventional double play was when an infielder dropped a pop up then threw it to third then to second, isn't that what the infield fly is for. Maybe you don't know rules or for that matter the umpires.

Then I am correct in thinking that you were one of the Forrest fans who showed way too much class throughout the game? Please get a rule book and do something evidently you haven't done before...READ IT!!!!! LACK OF RULE KNOWLEDGE , BAD SPORTSMANSHIP ,RUDENESS, AND POOR LOSERS, ALWAYS SEEM TO GO TOGETHER. AND STOP BLAMING EVERYONE ELSE !!!

QUOTE(Treyvols99 @ May 8 2007 - 09:52 AM) 826454308[/snapback]Was the ball hit in the infield or outfield?????? Also did he not have to run back to get the ball and also it technicaly was the left fielders ball making it not an INFIELD FLY!!!! The call was correct and the champs won. Hope to see you guys again on Wednesday night. Could the champs make it 4-0 on the season versus the rockets????

Maybe you are right at least you are being nice about it. I wasn't trying to be rude like the poster was. Hopefully we will get another chance at Cascade. They really our a great ball team and a good group of young men. Nothing against them I wish all of them the best of luck and represent 9-A well.

QUOTE(Treyvols99 @ May 8 2007 - 08:52 AM) 826454308[/snapback]Was the ball hit in the infield or outfield?????? Also did he not have to run back to get the ball and also it technicaly was the left fielders ball making it not an INFIELD FLY!!!! The call was correct and the champs won. Hope to see you guys again on Wednesday night. Could the champs make it 4-0 on the season versus the rockets????

I dont know who either of these teams are, I play in AAA, but the correct rule, is that if the infielder can make a play on the ball, or is attempting to make a play on the ball, then the infield fly rule would be in effect, even if it is in the outfield, and from what i am reading, the shortstop was the one making the play, so the rule should have been in effect.

QUOTE(Treyvols99 @ May 8 2007 - 09:48 AM) 826454304[/snapback]The umps didnt decide the game. every call they made was correct. The call in the top of the seventh was exactly the right call because there was a force at every base. How are you not "getting" respect"???? I made a nice post and didnt rub it in your face. There were nine errors combined before we even reached the 6th inning so as far as this discussion goes, the ball game could have gone either way and that Champs pulled off the W in the end. I truly hope that what was stated by the last poster about Forrest players and fans is untrue. Its a game! Not life or death. Good luck to the champs the rest of the way. Take care of buisness one game at a time...

SAD to say but it IS true. Very surprised because I have been to Forrest many times for games and was never treated anything but great. Last night was a different story..I guess it being the dist tourn and Cascade and everything else just added to the madness. GOOD LUCK TO BOTH TEAMS... You are correct...ITS JUST A GAME!!!