District 9A Crazy Game

EvilleEagles

QUOTE(back@home @ May 8 2007 - 11:19 AM) 826454379[/snapback]Your three year old must be a future major leaguer then, Cascade SS and the LFer were going for the ball in LEFT FIELD, not the IF.

I didn't see it so I can't judge, but I have a question. Both these programs teach very sound fundamental baseball. If this ball was the left fielders ball why wasn't he calling off the shortstop to make a easier play? If the left fielder could get to the ball he has all the advanges. Easier catch, better visablity of the ball and the field, baserunners etc. Was it really the left fielders ball? If so why didn't the shortstop let him have it? He did drop it right? He just lucked into a play.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Vultor @ May 8 2007 - 12:42 PM) 826454461[/snapback]Didn't see the game. I am a Forrest fan, but this is typical of what goes on between Forrest and Cascade in any sport. Its been my experience that usually the situations aren't what is written in these posts. And of course we have to add classless and say how little some coaches know about baseball. Last year we didn't hear alot from Cascade Fans during baseball, even when their biggest fan was run out of Forrest by the umpire before the first inning was over. Is it because Forrest dominated last year. This year Cascade has a good team (they were good last year also) so now here come the "classless" remarks again. Can't just leave it on the field.

Now Vultor, I know you of all people aren't playing the finger pointing game.........Shame, Shame...I know we've never heard you make and derogatory comments toward Cascade folks..... /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

QUOTE(cascade11 @ May 8 2007 - 01:02 PM) 826454483[/snapback]Now Vultor, I know you of all people aren't playing the finger pointing game.........Shame, Shame...I know we've never heard you make and derogatory comments toward Cascade folks..... /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

No I'm not trying to stir the pot. I was just commenting on what goes on all the time between these two schools. Both sides get too carried away sometimes and alot of times posters add things that didn't really happen just to make one side or the other look worse.

Good luck to both teams.

just by reading these posts...the umps got it right on the fly ball tag up situation it is a timing play and the run counts if it touched the plate before the third out was made...on the infeild fly rule there has been too much debate on whos ball it was and bragging about a short stop getting there that there is no way it could be an infeild fly...it is ordinary effort meaning with the ball on its way down (which is when you call it) someone is camped under it...and that doesnt sound like it was the case here. i agree tough luck on forrest part but it was RIGHT. let me ask you this did the short stop get an error on that play?

QUOTE(Vultor @ May 8 2007 - 12:56 PM) 826454476[/snapback]I didn't see it so I can't judge, but I have a question. Both these programs teach very sound fundamental baseball. If this ball was the left fielders ball why wasn't he calling off the shortstop to make a easier play? If the left fielder could get to the ball he has all the advanges. Easier catch, better visablity of the ball and the field, baserunners etc. Was it really the left fielders ball? If so why didn't the shortstop let him have it? He did drop it right? He just lucked into a play.

Reguardless if the left fielder should have called Mo Mo off or not he is extremely fast, arguably one of the best players in the district. He played SS which is the captain in the field and if he thought he was going to get it the LF was going to back off. There was no chance what so ever of that being an infield fly rule. I am not trying to be biased at all but that is the simple truth. Its funny because you are right if it went the other way Cascade fans would be upset but for people who are watching the game and understand the game of baseball it was 100% the right call. Also its funny in baseball how when a teams fans start complaining about how a pitch should have been a strike when their pitcher threw it but when its the same pitch to their batters it should of been a ball lol. If you want to talk about a blown call Forrest it was when our runner which happened to be Mo Mo was called out stealing second. How does a SS jump 8-10 feet up catch the ball and tag. Did he use his go go gadget arms to tag Mo Mo??? of course not, goes to show umps are defiently not perfect but the last two calls were 100% correct. Good luck to all teams left and 9A represent yourselves well the rest of the way.. Another classic Cascade- Forrest matchup with years and years to continue...

In interpreting the rule, there are 2 key phrases. "ordinary effort" and my rule book states "umpire's discretion". It is a judgement call and therefore is unprotestable. Having umpired for many years the rule is typically used when an infielder will routinely make the play. Most umpires use the term "camped" when determining whether it should be called or not. If an infielder is "camped" TSSAA typically trains the ump to call the IFR at that point. On a ball into shallow left in which neither player is "camped", the IFR cannot be called. I don't know any of these kids but I know that both schools have solid programs. With that being said, a fair and unbiased umpire will never assume that a play is going to be made until the player is "camped" as this is the key for the player establishing "ordinary effort". I remember one instance in a high school game I was watching when I saw a shallow pop-up where the umpire immediately called the IFR. As the shortstop drifted back into LF he tripped and fell flat on his face and the ball landed 15 feet to his right. The batter was out because the umpire had prematurely made the call...but he had to stand by his call. I can say that in some cases these calls can cost a team heavily. I know this had to be hard for the boys from Forrest. However, from the accounts posted, it appears the umpire made the correct call.

QUOTE(justafanman22 @ May 8 2007 - 01:52 PM) 826454549[/snapback]In interpreting the rule, there are 2 key phrases. "ordinary effort" and my rule book states "umpire's discretion". It is a judgement call and therefore is unprotestable. Having umpired for many years the rule is typically used when an infielder will routinely make the play. Most umpires use the term "camped" when determining whether it should be called or not. If an infielder is "camped" TSSAA typically trains the ump to call the IFR at that point. On a ball into shallow left in which neither player is "camped", the IFR cannot be called. I don't know any of these kids but I know that both schools have solid programs. With that being said, a fair and unbiased umpire will never assume that a play is going to be made until the player is "camped" as this is the key for the player establishing "ordinary effort". I remember one instance in a high school game I was watching when I saw a shallow pop-up where the umpire immediately called the IFR. As the shortstop drifted back into LF he tripped and fell flat on his face and the ball landed 15 feet to his right. The batter was out because the umpire had prematurely made the call...but he had to stand by his call. I can say that in some cases these calls can cost a team heavily. I know this had to be hard for the boys from Forrest. However, from the accounts posted, it appears the umpire made the correct call.

Quote from Shelbyville Times Gazette from Cascade coach " Mikie Minor has been a burr under our saddle for four years and now that he is gone we will start dominating district 9A" Forrest lost most of their team to graduation last year. This year we are rebuilding with alot of young talent. Any comments on the future or how do you think our rebuilding is progressing? Also a very good 8th grade class coming up.

Congrats to Senior academic honors players Brian Whitley, Chase Beaulieu, Andy Burkett

QUOTE(EAGLES @ May 8 2007 - 02:06 PM) 826454565[/snapback]Quote from Shelbyville Times Gazette from Cascade coach " Mikie Minor has been a burr under our saddle for four years and now that he is gone we will start dominating district 9A" Forrest lost most of their team to graduation last year. This year we are rebuilding with alot of young talent. Any comments on the future or how do you think our rebuilding is progressing? Also a very good 8th grade class coming up.

Congrats to Senior academic honors players Brian Whitley, Chase Beaulieu, Andy Burkett

Have to think that cascade will dominate next season as well due to 6-9 starters coming back next season including Mo Mo...

QUOTE(EAGLES @ May 8 2007 - 02:06 PM) 826454565[/snapback]Quote from Shelbyville Times Gazette from Cascade coach " Mikie Minor has been a burr under our saddle for four years and now that he is gone we will start dominating district 9A" Forrest lost most of their team to graduation last year. This year we are rebuilding with alot of young talent. Any comments on the future or how do you think our rebuilding is progressing? Also a very good 8th grade class coming up.

Have to think that cascade will dominate next season as well due to 6-9 starters coming back next season including Mo Mo...

QUOTE(Treyvols99 @ May 8 2007 - 02:28 PM) 826454575[/snapback]Have to think that cascade will dominate next season as well due to 6-9 starters coming back next season including Mo Mo...

How is a 4-3 and 7-6 win = domination?

QUOTE(Treyvols99 @ May 8 2007 - 01:22 PM) 826454509[/snapback]Reguardless if the left fielder should have called Mo Mo off or not he is extremely fast, arguably one of the best players in the district. He played SS which is the captain in the field and if he thought he was going to get it the LF was going to back off. There was no chance what so ever of that being an infield fly rule. I am not trying to be biased at all but that is the simple truth. Its funny because you are right if it went the other way Cascade fans would be upset but for people who are watching the game and understand the game of baseball it was 100% the right call. Also its funny in baseball how when a teams fans start complaining about how a pitch should have been a strike when their pitcher threw it but when its the same pitch to their batters it should of been a ball lol. If you want to talk about a blown call Forrest it was when our runner which happened to be Mo Mo was called out stealing second. How does a SS jump 8-10 feet up catch the ball and tag. Did he use his go go gadget arms to tag Mo Mo??? of course not, goes to show umps are defiently not perfect but the last two calls were 100% correct. Good luck to all teams left and 9A represent yourselves well the rest of the way.. Another classic Cascade- Forrest matchup with years and years to continue...

Talk about BLOWN call what about when the cascade player bull dogged our shortstop and nothing was done. He was out by a mile and decided to run our short stop to make him drop the ball.

QUOTE(FHSFAN @ May 8 2007 - 02:39 PM) 826454587[/snapback]Talk about BLOWN call what about when the cascade player bull dogged our shortstop and nothing was done. He was out by a mile and decided to run our short stop to make him drop the ball.

Im tired of debating all of these calls. It's pointless. Cascade won and needs to continue to do the same. Good luck to all teams left. Maybe you guys wont "lose" today and can play again tommorrow against us. A word of advice maybe if you score more runs today you wont have to come on here and complain about the umps tommorrow. Give the umps a break nobody is perfect but I know two things for sure, one is that the last two calls the ump made were 100% correct and number two is that the champs are going to regions.....