Lacrosse Is On the Move

Redtwin

QUOTE(coacht @ May 10 2007 - 07:46 PM) 826456760[/snapback]For those of you who have teams at school, or predominantly from your school, is there a certain sport that the players tend to come from? Soccer, football, basketball.....?

Ravenwood has a few football players on Lacrosse. It seems most of these students came up playing from middle school. For a good number of the players, it is the only sport they are playing in High School. These are some real die-hard Lacrosse athletes in the neighborhoods. They eat, drink, and sleep Lacrosse. They will grab a patch of grass and a net, then a game breaks out among them.

The only thing I see holding back Lacrosse is the quality and quantities of coaches. It not a sport your dad/mom played, nor was soccer when I was growing up. As time passes, boys/girls become adults, adults become dads/moms, and Lacrosse popularity will continue to grow.

Study up CoachT and get some Lacrosse shaking down in the L'burg.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(coacht @ May 10 2007 - 06:46 PM) 826456760[/snapback]For those of you who have teams at school, or predominantly from your school, is there a certain sport that the players tend to come from? Soccer, football, basketball.....?

I don't know if any Cookeville Football players are on the Lacrosse team.I DO know that Coach Joslin requires them all to participate in a spring sport.Most do track & field...

THE SQUAD /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

QUOTE(iamavolzfan @ May 10 2007 - 05:09 PM) 826456663[/snapback]Great discussion and I don't think TSSAA will sanction anytime soon. Too much on their plate as many have listed in other posts and too many issues.

Private Schools are better because of better resources, more money and coaching. The bigger problem exists with feeder programs, long term stability of coaching and continuous stable resources at those levels. MBA, and the other private schools have enormous amounts of resources, money, talented and paid coaching staffs and years of stability. They have similar resources at their middle school AND EARLIER levels. Until public schools match that level of money, facilities, coaching and steady feeder programs their ability to compete with the KINGS of lacrosse will be limited.

Also, many quotes about Franklin being around as a long term program and why not playing Div 1? The facts: Franklin is in its third year of competition and with its second coach. The kids at that school started with 6 upperclassmen and 16 Soph and Frosh three years ago and have improved because of the time playing together and the ability to get better by having more playing time. Hardly a long term program when considering the other schools in Div 1 and Div2.

Could not agree more with your post. The advantage of TSSAA sanctioning the sport would be the middle schools adopting the sport, which in turn, would support rec leagues for younger kids. Which would mean more involvement on a lot of different levels.

If we are concerned about the growth of the game (I am), it will require more involvement of the public schools ... period. That means the TSSAA will/must be involved. There will need to be some give-and-take. It won't be perfect but it will be a step in the right direction. It's easy to fear what you don't know. Have some faith. It's about the boys and girls - right?

I've played and I've coached. I cannot begin to tell you what a thrill it is to do both. I love the sport for the good of the sport. I want as many kids involved as possible. I wish I had a dollar for every time I've heard an adult say "I wish they would have had lacrosse when I was in school."

The sport appeals to a different kind of kid. They're athletes - no doubt. Lacrosse opens up another opportunity for these kids to express themselves. Anything that causes a child to engage and participate in a school activity is a very good thing in my opinion. Getting recognition for your accomplishment is affirming. We should all want that for kids.

Ultimately, sanctioning will happen. I would like to see it sooner than later. I hope to be part of the solution by actions and deeds; there's too much to gain not to.

QUOTE(TeamD @ May 16 2007 - 06:56 PM) 826460518[/snapback]Wouldn't becoming a TSSAA sanctioned sport prevent public schools from playing private schools?

In what sport are public schools "prevented" from playing a private school? In what sport is any school prevented from playing another team in-state or out?

Come on folks! Lead, follow or get out of the way.