Region 4-AAA Tournament

mjuhb

great ball game between shelbyville and cookeville! i couldn't have ask for anymore, both teams gave all the had. good luck to cookville the rest of thier season! THANK YOU SHELBYVILLE FOR GIVING US A WONDERFUL SEASON! I COULDN'T BE ANY MORE PROUD OF YOU GUYS, YOU ARE A GREAT TEAM!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(goltv @ May 15 2007 - 10:43 PM) 826459961[/snapback]great ball game between shelbyville and cookeville! i couldn't have ask for anymore, both teams gave all the had. good luck to cookville the rest of thier season! THANK YOU SHELBYVILLE FOR GIVING US A WONDERFUL SEASON! I COULDN'T BE ANY MORE PROUD OF YOU GUYS, YOU ARE A GREAT TEAM!

they should be a very formidable team next year

only losing 2 starters and getting 2 8th graders that could have started for them this year

QUOTE(mjuhb @ May 15 2007 - 10:54 PM) 826459970[/snapback]they should be a very formidable team next year

only losing 2 starters and getting 2 8th graders that could have started for them this year

All of SCHS's subs were soph. but one

It will be very hard to replace Blake and Michal they were the heart and soul this year.

Great Leadership.Grrrreat season GRRRRRREAT Game.

Have a safe trip home Cookville and good luck in the finals.

See you next year .

QUOTE(Whitey @ May 15 2007 - 10:37 PM) 826459956[/snapback]The Cookeville Keeper was coming two and three steps off the line before the ball was struck during the shootout. I was sitting right on the line and had a good view of what was happening. Everyone was screaming about it and it was not even a close call to make. What a shame for kids who have worked all season long and played their hearts out to get refs who are not capable of making such an easy call or are too unethical to make the right call. When the teams get to this stage in the season they deserve to have refs who know what they are doing and are professionals about what they are doing. There needs to be some means of measuring the capability and the values of the refs to appoint the best for tournament situations instead of the good old boy system that is used by the assignors.

ok you ask any real keeper.. whether or not its rules, it is strategy for a keeper to stop a pk. watch any professional in pk's and you'll see them doing the same thing.if they did not they wouldnt have a chance.

QUOTE(stamfordbridgesoccer @ May 16 2007 - 01:13 PM) 826460314[/snapback]I know how frustrating that is Whitey. But there are certain things in the game we can control and certain things we cannot. The system is what it is. We had a lousy crew for our district final and for our region semi-final, but, at the end of the day, its the kids that have to bury the ball in the back of the net. I try to encourage my players to take care of business on the field, something that they alone can control.

I disagree with the district referees analysis at district final and disagree with anyone who says referees are just terrible in this area. I watched the entire game again on film and the referees in that final actually did a pretty good job and if you count of up the fouls during the game, Blackman was whistled for more fouls than Cookeville. There were questionable calls, but on both sides and this happens every game.

It's amazing to me, since I am a referee, that only the loosing side believes the referees were lousy. Trust me, when I say, I feel that the same way sometimes as a fan and I will yell at the referee my opinion as a fan, you have probably heard me.

However, a person should not come on here and say the referees were lousy and determined the outcome of a game. To post something blaming referees for loosing the game or determining the outcome of the game is not the right thing to do. As stamfordbridge said, it's taking care of business out on the pitch.

Just remember a bad call at the end of the game, seems so much worse than at the beginning of the game, especially when you are loosing.

OK -- let me respond and not to be too argumentative. Yes, refs have a tough job and we can appreciate the fact that many of them are dedicated enough to get off work and rush to call a soccer game somewhere. We can praise and laud their amirable efforts, sacrifices, etc. No one is questioning that or saying that those things don't go without being recognized or appreciated. We can also say that refs are humans and prone to making mistakes like everyone else. We also understand that. However, none of these things should be allowed to become excuses for the inexperienced and incompetent refs being put in critical games where their calls can, yes can, influence the outcome of the game. All this stuff about the players should take care of business during the game is true and well and good. I agree with and appreciate that sentiment. However, when they have done that and there is no difference in the performance of the two teams to suggest that refs do not at times determine the outcome of the game is a failure to recognize reality. Having particiapted in soccer at all levels in the last 41 years, it seems that over the last three years that refs have let their egos get in the way of their judgment and have imposed themselves way too much on the game. TSSAA has a mechanism that allows the refs to report when there is unusual conduct or misconduct on the part of a player, fan, or coach. It is now time for TSSAA to step up and recognize the failures of some of the refs and to also set up a mechanism for coaches to do the same.

Now, having said these general things let's address specifically what happened. Five times players stepped up to take a PK and five times the keeper ran off the line at the whistle gaining a 2 to 3 yard advantage during each PK as well as possibly distracting the kicker. It was an easy call to make. Either the ref is ignorant of the rule, was incompetent, or did not want to make the right call. If he had missed one or two calls, then you might say that he just missed it. It can happen to anyone. If the keeper leaving the line had been close to when the player was about to strike the ball you could say that it was judgement. However, a practically blind man could have made this call as it was that easy to call. To have missed it five times, was inexcusable -- regardless of any "philosophical" differences that we might have. Fix the problem don't ignore it and continue to make excuses for this kind of failure any longer.

Well Whitey why don't we let the referee's judge which coaches can coach and which are ignorant of the fact that they can't coach. then we will call it even. Are you even from Shelbyville? I haven't seen any one on here from Shelbyville post a negative about this game, it seems you are the only disgruntled fan. I heard it was a great game and it was ashamed someone had to lose. I have an Idea why don't we play till someone scores instead of pk's then you wouldn't have a gripe with the way it ended. Oh yea you probably would have found something else to whine about.

Illini, please read my post again and you will see that I am generally complimentary of the work of the refs. By the way, I am happy with system as it is. Unfortunately many others are not. They are always wanting to Change the rules even as refs to suit themselves. However, the game has been around too long and has proven its ability to withstand these selfish efforts. One of FIFA's definitions of unethical conduct on the part of a ref that warrants discipline is when an assignor abuses their power to make intentional bad assignments. Let's keep the calls objective and be professional enough to do that regardless of our personal likes or dislikes of a coach or team. I don't have to like you to work with you and do a professional job. The same is true for every other ref. I don't ask for you to like me or my team. I do expect when you step on the field to be professional and objective and not take things personally. You may think that I am talking about you or just to you. I am not. I am talking about evey ref and every coach. The objective should be to work together for the good of improving the sport and the experience for the players who work so hard and deserve the best that we can give them.

QUOTE(Whitey @ May 16 2007 - 09:23 PM) 826460711[/snapback]Illini, please read my post again and you will see that I am generally complimentary of the work of the refs. By the way, I am happy with system as it is. Unfortunately many others are not. They are always wanting to Change the rules even as refs to suit themselves. However, the game has been around too long and has proven its ability to withstand these selfish efforts. One of FIFA's definitions of unethical conduct on the part of a ref that warrants discipline is when an assignor abuses their power to make intentional bad assignments. Let's keep the calls objective and be professional enough to do that regardless of our personal likes or dislikes of a coach or team. I don't have to like you to work with you and do a professional job. The same is true for every other ref. I don't ask for you to like me or my team. I do expect when you step on the field to be professional and objective and not take things personally. You may think that I am talking about you or just to you. I am not. I am talking about evey ref and every coach. The objective should be to work together for the good of improving the sport and the experience for the players who work so hard and deserve the best that we can give them.

don't know if it matters to this argument but.........one shelbyville penalty kick went 5 yards over the goal and the other miss hit the middle of the side post. did this happen because the cook. goalie was supposedly off line? hmmmmmmmm.

it was a fun game. both teams should be proud of their effort. the crowd for both sides were super as well as well behaved.