Baylor Vs. Webb

cincyred

QUOTE(cincyred @ May 16 2007 - 03:27 PM) 826460396[/snapback]Dominated.....? Not so sure that was the case. I think Baylor played as poor a game as they have played all season. Webb played OK, but I think they would say they could play much better. Neither team appeared to be very inspired to win this game. It looked more like a scrimmage game. No one wanted to possibly suffer an injury or receive a red card, resulting in missing the State Tournament. The first game between these two teams was a much better game.

What is the point of playing a regional championship if both teams still advance to the State Tournament? If this had really been a "winner take all" situation, I am sure the game would have been much more intense, much better skill demonstrated, harder fought - more phyisical, all ingredients for a better game.

Very well put and I totally agree. I believe that not alot rested on the outcome... State is all that matters. Baylor won the Region last year but all that mattered was state then and we lost in the quarters. By far the worst game I have seen Baylor play all year. It did seem that both were laying off somewhat. I know that no one wants an injury or red card before finals. Just a very uninspired game for sure. Next week should bring out the best.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(cincyred @ May 16 2007 - 02:27 PM) 826460396[/snapback]Dominated.....? Not so sure that was the case. I think Baylor played as poor a game as they have played all season. Webb played OK, but I think they would say they could play much better. Neither team appeared to be very inspired to win this game. It looked more like a scrimmage game. No one wanted to possibly suffer an injury or receive a red card, resulting in missing the State Tournament. The first game between these two teams was a much better game.

What is the point of playing a regional championship if both teams still advance to the State Tournament? If this had really been a "winner take all" situation, I am sure the game would have been much more intense, much better skill demonstrated, harder fought - more phyisical, all ingredients for a better game.

i'm glad you're playing down the magnitude of this game and calling it a "scrimmage" after you lost. I'm pretty sure that both teams wanted to win this game pretty bad...no one likes to go into state with the bad taste of a loss in their mouth. And, their was certainly a good amount of skill demonstrated in the game...i'm not sure if you were watching when marvin and stein tore up the middle for webb the whole second half...maybe not so much baylor seeing as they came out flat but it was certainly an enjoyable game to watch from either standpoint.

QUOTE(shims4 @ May 16 2007 - 07:02 PM) 826460488[/snapback]i'm glad you're playing down the magnitude of this game and calling it a "scrimmage" after you lost. I'm pretty sure that both teams wanted to win this game pretty bad...no one likes to go into state with the bad taste of a loss in their mouth. And, their was certainly a good amount of skill demonstrated in the game...i'm not sure if you were watching when marvin and stein tore up the middle for webb the whole second half...maybe not so much baylor seeing as they came out flat but it was certainly an enjoyable game to watch from either standpoint.

Games like this present a particular dilemma for coaches. While true that this game was not an elimination game, the byproducts include, momentum, confidence, injury and seeding. Both teams are smart enough and experienced enough to realize that the real tournament begins next week. There were moments of incredible intensity on both sides: Keepers crashing into a pile of players; tackles where the thump is felt 60 yards away; sliding tackles; every inch contested for most of 80 minutes. You cannot can tell me that the game wasn't important to the players on both sides and that Baylor didn't want to win that game just as badly as Webb did.

Win or lose, each team will be facing a top notch opponent next week in Murfreesboro who's intensity and passion will be ratcheted up a notch because it is now the final rounds-win or go home! Each of the 8 teams qualifying are capable of winning it all.

Best of luck to our fellow East Region Rival!

Not related to this tread, but on a similar topic: I really feel for my counterparts at CAK/Catholic and Bearden/Farragut. For the second time in less than one week, these teams are playing each other in similar situation we faced in playing Baylor. How high to get your team knowing the situation? Balancing winning/losing verses injury, risk of travel for the sub-state game, etc while knowing that this is not the elimination game and that there is a fair chance of still one more matchup next week. I'll take my one game and be glad it's done with nobody hurt.

Coachdanger,

Very well constructed argument. I appreciate your thoughts.

Not to take anything away from your victory, as Webb has beaten Baylor twice this year, but it was obvious from my prespective that how the Baylor coach set his line-up, the liberal use of subs, the unacustom 4-4-2 formation, etc that he did not see this as the "be all to end all" game.

I think he was disappointed with the outcome, but was relieved that he did not lose any players for next week's tournament.

Momentum and confidence surely are important byproducts of a game such as this. I hope those elements are not lost while waiting for next week's games. I wish Webb good luck, as we both try to bring attention to East Tennessee soccer.