Debunking Myths

1moreDBmom

QUOTE(davidlimbaugh @ May 13 2007 - 02:16 AM) 826458310[/snapback]Here is a great example of how folks watch the Braves on TV and try to take those rules to the high school baseball field:

"32. The ball is always immediately dead on a balk."

...ahhhhh so in OBR rules the ball is not dead on a balk but in the FED rules it is!

That leads me to beleive these famous myths are based on OBR rules.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DZbettin @ Jun 7 2007 - 03:56 PM) 826472627[/snapback]why?

WHO EVER ANSWER THE RULES INTERPETATION WAS DOING GREAT UNTIL I HEARD WHAT HE SAID ABOUT A TIE AT FIRST BASE YOUR TELLING ME THAT HAS NEVER HAPPEN IN BASEBALL YOUR WRONG EVEN IN MAJOR LEAGUE IF THE RUNNER GETS THERE THE SAME TIME THE BALL DOES THE UMPIRE RULES SAFE. I KNOW THE UMPIRE DOESNT SAY TIE RUNNER SAFE BUT IT HAPPENS THE ONLY WAY ARUNNER IS OUT THE BALL MUST BEAT THE RUNNER ANYTHING ELES IS SAFE A TIE WHERE THE BALL AND RUNNER GET THERE AT THE SAME TIME SEE THE BALL DIDNT BEAT THE RUNNER SO HE IS ALWAYS SAFE ON A TIE THE BALL HAS TO BEAT THE RUNNER FOR A OUT

QUOTE(ihavenofriendzz @ May 12 2007 - 11:12 PM) 826458288[/snapback]Official Rules: 2.00 Definition of Terms

A FOUL TIP is a batted ball that goes sharp and direct from the bat to the catcher's hands and is legally caught. It is not a foul tip unless caught and any foul tip that is caught is a strike, and the ball is in play. It is not a catch if it is a rebound, unless the ball has first touched the catcher's glove or hand.

Obviously if a foul tip is considered in play the runner is not forced to go back to his original base.

An INFIELD FLY is a fair fly ball (not including a line drive nor an attempted bunt) which can be caught by an infielder with ordinary effort, when first and second, or first, second and third bases are occupied, before two are out. The pitcher, catcher and any outfielder who stations himself in the infield on the play shall be considered infielders for the purpose of this rule.

When it seems apparent that a batted ball will be an Infield Fly, the umpire shall immediately declare "Infield Fly" for the benefit of the runners. If the ball is near the baselines, the umpire shall declare "Infield Fly, if Fair".

The ball is alive and runners may advance at the risk of the ball being caught, or retouch and advance after the ball is touched, the same as on any fly ball. If the hit becomes a foul ball, it is treated the same as any foul.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/offic...ion_terms_2.jsp

Official Rules: 7.00 The Runner

In advancing, a runner shall touch first, second, third and home base in order. If forced to return, he shall retouch all bases in reverse order, unless the ball is dead under any provision of Rule 5.09. In such cases, the runner may go directly to his original base.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/offic...es/runner_7.jsp

CAN A BUNT EVER BE RULED A INFIELD FLY AND ALSO WHEN DO YOU SUPPOSE TO CALL INFIELD FLY IS IT IMMEDIATELY CALL WHEN A BALL WITH LESS THAN TWO OUTS IS HIT IN THE INFIELD WITH RUNNERS AT FIRST AND SECOND AND CAN YOU HAVE INFIELD FLY IF THE BALL IS POP UP TO THE EDGE OF THE GRASS AND IS CAUGHT BY A INFIELDER

QUOTE(146darkside @ Jun 7 2007 - 04:59 PM) 826472652[/snapback]CAN A BUNT EVER BE RULED A INFIELD FLY AND ALSO WHEN DO YOU SUPPOSE TO CALL INFIELD FLY IS IT IMMEDIATELY CALL WHEN A BALL WITH LESS THAN TWO OUTS IS HIT IN THE INFIELD WITH RUNNERS AT FIRST AND SECOND AND CAN YOU HAVE INFIELD FLY IF THE BALL IS POP UP TO THE EDGE OF THE GRASS AND IS CAUGHT BY A INFIELDER

No.

At it's apex.

Yes.

QUOTE(146darkside @ Jun 7 2007 - 06:51 PM) 826472650[/snapback]WHO EVER ANSWER THE RULES INTERPETATION WAS DOING GREAT UNTIL I HEARD WHAT HE SAID ABOUT A TIE AT FIRST BASE YOUR TELLING ME THAT HAS NEVER HAPPEN IN BASEBALL YOUR WRONG EVEN IN MAJOR LEAGUE IF THE RUNNER GETS THERE THE SAME TIME THE BALL DOES THE UMPIRE RULES SAFE. I KNOW THE UMPIRE DOESNT SAY TIE RUNNER SAFE BUT IT HAPPENS THE ONLY WAY ARUNNER IS OUT THE BALL MUST BEAT THE RUNNER ANYTHING ELES IS SAFE A TIE WHERE THE BALL AND RUNNER GET THERE AT THE SAME TIME SEE THE BALL DIDNT BEAT THE RUNNER SO HE IS ALWAYS SAFE ON A TIE THE BALL HAS TO BEAT THE RUNNER FOR A OUT

Here is the way I heard the "tie at first" explained once and I liked it.

There is never a tie at first because the umpire determines it was either safe or out. If the ball gets there first the runner is out, if the runner gets there first he is safe. Runner is either out or safe....but never tied.

No place to put a tie in baseball except on the score board...and even then we play all night if we have to because there is no ties in baseball...we play until somebody wins the game.

I have never heard the umpire say...thats a tie at first so I'll let the runner stay. Or that's a tie at first lets back up and redo the entire play again to see if we get an out or a runner....

no tie...either safe or out.

QUOTE(146darkside @ Jun 7 2007 - 06:51 PM) 826472650[/snapback]WHO EVER ANSWER THE RULES INTERPETATION WAS DOING GREAT UNTIL I HEARD WHAT HE SAID ABOUT A TIE AT FIRST BASE YOUR TELLING ME THAT HAS NEVER HAPPEN IN BASEBALL YOUR WRONG EVEN IN MAJOR LEAGUE IF THE RUNNER GETS THERE THE SAME TIME THE BALL DOES THE UMPIRE RULES SAFE. I KNOW THE UMPIRE DOESNT SAY TIE RUNNER SAFE BUT IT HAPPENS THE ONLY WAY ARUNNER IS OUT THE BALL MUST BEAT THE RUNNER ANYTHING ELES IS SAFE A TIE WHERE THE BALL AND RUNNER GET THERE AT THE SAME TIME SEE THE BALL DIDNT BEAT THE RUNNER SO HE IS ALWAYS SAFE ON A TIE THE BALL HAS TO BEAT THE RUNNER FOR A OUT

You are wrong. The runner must beat the throw to be declared safe. If an umpire sees a "tie", an out call, not safe, should be made by rule.

QUOTE(146darkside @ Jun 7 2007 - 04:59 PM) 826472652[/snapback]CAN A BUNT EVER BE RULED A INFIELD FLY AND ALSO WHEN DO YOU SUPPOSE TO CALL INFIELD FLY IS IT IMMEDIATELY CALL WHEN A BALL WITH LESS THAN TWO OUTS IS HIT IN THE INFIELD WITH RUNNERS AT FIRST AND SECOND AND CAN YOU HAVE INFIELD FLY IF THE BALL IS POP UP TO THE EDGE OF THE GRASS AND IS CAUGHT BY A INFIELDER

ON THE ONE THAT IS CLOSE to the edge if you are meaning fair or foul usually the umpire will yell infield fly batters out IF FAIR also you call the infield fly when the ball is at the apex and or on its way down remember if the feilder SHOULD catch it with ordianry effort and when it gets in cases like those it becomes an umpires discretion and can get tricky and of course everyone is mad at the umpire because the kid didnt catch so they want the out from the umps and i like to give an out (i dont go home without strikes and outs) but we cant always give the out

as far as ties go at first base...the runner must beat the ball. that is the rule if you disagree with this rule i challenge to read the rule book and SHOW me where the tie goes to the runner. and then tell us what rule number it is and we will look it up and be proven WRONG

lets see how long it is before you find it in the rule book and get back to us on that one..note the date of post

QUOTE(riverdaleman @ Jun 8 2007 - 02:45 AM) 826472814[/snapback]ON THE ONE THAT IS CLOSE to the edge if you are meaning fair or foul usually the umpire will yell infield fly batters out IF FAIR also you call the infield fly when the ball is at the apex and or on its way down remember if the feilder SHOULD catch it with ordianry effort and when it gets in cases like those it becomes an umpires discretion and can get tricky and of course everyone is mad at the umpire because the kid didnt catch so they want the out from the umps and i like to give an out (i dont go home without strikes and outs) but we cant always give the out

as far as ties go at first base...the runner must beat the ball. that is the rule if you disagree with this rule i challenge to read the rule book and SHOW me where the tie goes to the runner. and then tell us what rule number it is and we will look it up and be proven WRONG

lets see how long it is before you find it in the rule book and get back to us on that one..note the date of post

You are assuming something here Riverdaleman.... you are assuming he has a rule book or that he knows where to find one ***wink***

How bout a head start for him.... runners are found in the OBR section..... no wait, that would spoil all the fun wouldn't it.

I was coaching the other night and one of my batters got hit in the hand with the ball while he was moving away from the pitch. The Umpire gave our runner first, the other coach comes out and tells the umpire that the hands were part of the bat, so he calls our player back to the plate. I almost got my 1st ever ejection that night. The Umpire and other coach swore up and down that in all circumstances the hand is part of the bat.