My thoughts CAK/Catholic game 3

dins8

QUOTE(Cheamilion @ May 18 2007 - 10:24 AM) 826461913[/snapback]I'm not really for or against the system too much. But using these two teams as an example. I truely have no clue how this thing works exactly, but i'm guessing the next possible chance for CAK and Catholic is state finals???

Say they meet. The game is played, and it does in overtime. Something goes wrong with catholic's Defense, and CAk scores. The game ends 1-0.

I feel it would be wrong for CAK to be the champions in this case, when Catholic has been them multiple other times.

Of course, i could be wrong and it work nothing like this.

And sounded like a great game. Wish i could come up and watch CAK or some of the big name teams in Knox play someday. Best of luck to both teams in the road to the Spring Fling.

My argument here is that if Catholic can't beat them in the big game, the finals, the one that really matters, then CAK has every right to be state champions. It happens all the time in sports. A team may perform better in the regular season, and actually beat the other team multiple times, but if it comes down to the finals, the team that wants it the most is going to win. If CAK were to beat Catholic in the State Finals (but both have to make it there first), then CAK would be State Champions. Sure CAK may have lost the other games, but if they can win the one that matters the most then they deserve the title.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(BigG @ May 18 2007 - 10:48 AM) 826461933[/snapback]I think it was 4 or 5 years ago when Bearden beat Farragut in the region finals (which in the previous year would have made Farragut stay home) and then Farragut won the state final against Bearden, and there was a fairly large amount of complaints that Farragut shouldn't have even been there. Both teams were good enough to get to the finals, beating 6 other great teams... I think they both should have been there, just like I think that Catholic deserved to be in the state finals last year playing against us, despite us winning the region finals.

The thing that matters is winning the games that you have to win. We have to win sectionals before we even think about playing the first round of state. Then you take it game by game, and push for the best.

Yes, G. But my point is, and what Ned is trying to say is that EVERY game in the playoffs should matter. None of this "we can afford to lose and rest stuff." Think of how much of a battle last night would have been had the loser faced elimination. As intense as last night was, it would have been twice as intense had the loser gone home.

Furthermore, I love Ned's suggestion that the top teams in the district move on and that is it. Think of how almost all sports go. You work hard in the regular season to have a chance to move to the post season. Then, in the post season you MUST be on every night.

Dins, I understand what you are saying. Georgia teams do it the same way. Top 4 teams in the region qualify for state, then it is single elimination from there on out. I like it that way myself... then you don't have to play any team 4 times in a season. Much more simplified.

I also don't see TSSAA changing it to that system. Why, you ask? Because it makes too much sense. (sorry, but I am a bit frustrated with several of the decisions coming into effect this coming year)

QUOTE(BigG @ May 18 2007 - 11:12 AM) 826461952[/snapback]Dins, I understand what you are saying. Georgia teams do it the same way. Top 4 teams in the region qualify for state, then it is single elimination from there on out. I like it that way myself... then you don't have to play any team 4 times in a season. Much more simplified.

I also don't see TSSAA changing it to that system. Why, you ask? Because it makes too much sense. (sorry, but I am a bit frustrated with several of the decisions coming into effect this coming year)

Not only would this system put more emphasis on winning, but it would also eliminate the unnecessary district games, such as the 1 vs. 8 or 2 vs. 7? I mean these games, more times than not, are jokes. It usually consists of a team like Bearden or Farragut playing a team like William Blount or Heritage. How is WB and Heritage supposed to get up for a game like that and how does Bearden and Farragut get up for a game like this. There are no fans, teams are just trying to get their goals and trying not to get anyone hurt.

However, BigG, I think we are in a transistion period. I know that in Region 2, District 4 (Bearden, Farragut, South-Doyle, Maryville, Sevier County, Lenoir City, William Blount, and Heritage) have decided at the last district meeting that there will be a change. And I think this is a step in the right direction. Seeds 5, 6, 7, and 8 would have their own playoff on the Saturday before Districts start. This would help the team morale of William Blount and Heritage, giving them more of a chance to stay in the tournament. Losers will go home and winners will play seeds 3 and 4 on Monday, while seeds 1 and 2 will get a bye. Everything after that will be the same.

This seems to make much more sense and I would think TSSAA would like it better, rather than having a team like WB and Heritage get blown out EVERY single year in the 1st round. I'm sure there will be some kinks, being the first year, but I do think it is a step in the right direction.

I actually like that idea alot. Not only does it stomp decimations, it also rewards teams for doing well in the regular season.

In our district this year, Tellico's last game of the season was against CSAS. They came into that game knowing they were beat I'm sure. So they got beat 3-1. But then districts started, and guess who they played?

They came back to face a team who's back-up's played mostly against them im sure, and beat them. It would stop team's from playing back to back games against each other, and less games where you know you have no chance.

Awsome way of doing it in my opinion.

You guys are forgetting the main thing..it is not the TSSAA but rather the T$$AA, remember the T$$AA gets what 15% or 20% of each district game gate and each regional game played and with each sectional game played, and they get 50% of the football gates (that why top 4 teams each district qualify in football and why so many unnessary matches are played.) Its all about the money

QUOTE(KCHSCoach @ May 18 2007 - 01:15 PM) 826462005[/snapback]You guys are forgetting the main thing..it is not the TSSAA but rather the T$$AA, remember the T$$AA gets what 15% or 20% of each district game gate and each regional game played and with each sectional game played, and they get 50% of the football gates (that why top 4 teams each district qualify in football and why so many unnessary matches are played.) Its all about the money

Point noted! Do you know how much fan support (or $$) Farragut and Bearden get for hosting William Blount and Heritage. Hardly any at all! More fan support (or $$) will come to the 5 vs. 8 seed and the 6 vs. 7 seed rather than the 1 vs. 8 and 2 vs. 7. Thus, making the 7 and 8 seeds happy as well as TSSAA (or T$$AA).

QUOTE(KCHSCoach @ May 18 2007 - 01:15 PM) 826462005[/snapback]You guys are forgetting the main thing..it is not the TSSAA but rather the T$$AA, remember the T$$AA gets what 15% or 20% of each district game gate and each regional game played and with each sectional game played, and they get 50% of the football gates (that why top 4 teams each district qualify in football and why so many unnessary matches are played.) Its all about the money

why do we have TSSAA anyway all they do is take our money every year and keep us from being able to practice with our kids the guidelines these people come up with are outrageous let the coaches do there job all year long and not just for 3 months some athletic directors around don't follow the rules at all letting their coaches practice whenever they want and then others stick to the rules and when people are reported about this nothing happens so why make the guidelines if you do nothing about it I just think Tennessee needs to step back and take a look at athletics as a whole not just making sure kids will be able to play football when the time comes around

QUOTE(dins8 @ May 17 2007 - 09:06 PM) 826461592[/snapback]First and foremost, I enjoyed this game immensely. Both teams were skilled, well-coached, and obviously deserved to get this far. There was a good crowd, as far as numbers go, but it lacked the raucous scene that you normally get at a Bearden/Farragut game. It was more of a "take me out to the ball game" atmosphere; I wondered if some of the students knew what the final score was after the game.

A few thoughts (actually lots of thoughts)...

First half: CAK dominated the first ten minutes, and I actually wondered if Catholic even belonged on the same field. CAK was exceptional at letting the ball do the work, and Catholic seemed to be running in circles. I was very impressed with CAK's forward's and midfielder's willingness to play negative to a teammate that could see the whole field and its options. #7 does this well.

Catholic, came out over-anxious and a bit sloppy. They ball chased, hung onto the ball too long, and took their own flanks right out of the game. I could not understand why their forwards were making the same runs as the outside midfielders; they were bringing their man to the sidelines, thus congesting the flanks and ruining any sort of service options. (They still had a tendency to do this in the second half).

Then something happened to CAK, or maybe Catholic finally got focused. Whatever it was, CAK stopped possessing, and somehow felt they needed to force options. I was not impressed with Pifer tonight. I felt he tried to do a little too much in the middle of the pitch, hanging onto the ball, trying to slip an over ambitious ball between two steady defenders...etc. Furthermore, he looked a bit slow to make decisions; it might have a lot to do with his mask. (This is no offense to Pifer. I have seen him play brilliant games; I just thought he was a bit off tonight).

Toward the end of the 1st half and for the remainder of the game, CAK's defense was very disorganized, and they could not seem to play smart soccer. Their clearances were lackadaisical, and at times dreadful, and how Catholic did not capitalize on CAK's weak clearances is beyond me. Moreover, CAK's defense tends to lose shape rather easily. #2 is an agressive and obstinate player; he slides, he chases, he stabs, and he occasionally makes a great tackle that pleases a novice fan. But his agression lurs him out of position and makes the rest of the defense vulnerable to numbers up situations. I would have again thought some of Catholic's forwards would have taken advantage of this.

Ultimately, I was very impressed with Catholic. It occurred to me...(yes, I was a bit slow to realize this)...that part of the reason why CAK's backs looked sloppy and hit awkward clearances was because Catholic always goes high pressure all over the field. They understand the concept of team defense--everyone defends, from the forwards to the keeper. The Catholic forwards were tireless and exceptionally fit, and that is one of the main reasons why CAK's backs looked a tad off tonight.

Eventually, Catholic got one of the best goals I have seen all year. A beautiful strike by Beckham which left CAK's keeper utterly defensless. Don't you love the irony in soccer? Catholic had some great chances that they should have capitalized on, and the one goal that they did get was almost an above human shot.

I can't remember if it was before the goal or after the goal, but Tarr finally entered the game...

The Tarr Factor: I will try to be delicate here, but forgive me if I sound a bit perturbed on his "ankle situation." When I arrived at the game, I saw Brandon goofing around on the sidelines, and I immediately rolled my eyes because I was under the impression that he was acting pretentious by not warming up with his team. Then a CAK parent informed me that something was wrong with his ankle. It became obvious that he was limping and perhaps out for the entire game.

Now, I am not doubting that this kid is hurt, and if I were in Coach G's position, I might not want to risk further injury for Brandon either. But this was a Regional Championship, and their third chance against Catholic. You would think that only a torn ACL would keep him out of this game.

When Tarr finally entered the game, he was completely immobile; CAK might as well have played with 10 players. But then all of a sudden Tarr received the ball, blew by his defender, missed a shot, complained to the referee, then proceeded to limp.

Again, I am sure Tarr is not at full speed right now, but I will be honest, one of the main reasons I came was to see him play. This is the third time that I have watched him this year. All three times he has not done a full warm-up with his team, and all three games there has been an issue as to why he would not be on his game that night.

I saw Tarr as a freshman, and I thought this kid was going all the way. Why is it that when freshman become uperclassmen they lose their swagger, drive etc.? Eddie Yah plays the same way too.

Bottom line: CAK is a good team, but Catholic was better (at least tonight). TN's playoff system made Coach Gerlach make an easy decision on whether or not to rest Tarr. CAK should pack their bags tonight, but instead, they get to rest players in the heat of the playoffs. Who knows? I probably would have done the same thing. Most other states play if you lose, you're out. I believe Mr. Tarr might have come to play tonight if the playoffs in TN were played the way they should be--winner moves on, loser ponders what might have been.

Isn't there another thread started on a topic similar to this? /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> I will let it be.

No offense to anyone, especially Brandon. (Hope the ankle feels better). Maybe it is just sour grapes for me since I REALLY wanted to see him play tonight.

Congrats to Catholic on a great win.

Sorry to those who have read and not been satisfied with this lenghty verbiage.

I came across this forum by accident looking for a soccer schedule. I read your comments and found it

inappropriate to criticize high school athletes by name or number on a public forum. I could not tell if you are a teenager or an adult - most adults have enough discretion would not publicly criticize a teenage athlete. In any event I have always found those who lack athletic ability to be the most critical of those who do.

By the way , although I lack your obvious(to you anyway) soccer knowledge I do know that both of those

teams have excellent defenses, in fact , only 4 goals have been scored between them in the three games

all year. In the third game there was only 1 really good shot on goal in the entire game ( and it wasn't the

miracle ball that caught the crossbar). As far as I know neither Catholic or Cak has given up more than 2 goals in any game all year and they both appear to have the toughest schedules they can get as small schools.

If you would like to talk about something constructivefor soccer in East Tennessee try these subjects: (1)Is there some way to do something about the incredibly poor refereeing in this area? more training? Luckily it is equally incompetent on both sides,but is getting downright dangerous in the apparent total disregard for the protection of keepers. (2) Can we get these games played on real soccer fields instead of torn up ,crowned ,

half sized football fields. West could probably have developed a great team if they hadn't relied so much on that ridiculous throw-in offense caused by that narrow , steeply crowned field. (3) Why don't we try real soccer-

unlimited substitutions are a joke. I have actually seen Farragut sub 10 players at a time. It looks like a hockey

line. I understand they want to get lots of kids participating, but put them on a JV or B team. Then they could all learn that Soccer is as much endurance as speed and skill. Thanks