Unaka and Richlands

corndogman

QUOTE(towelboy4unaka @ May 22 2007 - 10:29 PM) 826464984[/snapback]I agree you have to have players who want to play the game and have the ability to work on their own. You cant expect to be a good player coming to the field taking a couple rounds of infield and 1 round of batting practice and become a good player overnight. It takes a lot of hard work and I believe we have only a few kids that are willing to work and put in the extra time it takes to become not only a good baseball player but to become a good baseball team.

And I am like Deke Rivers not only does it not start the first day of practice but when the season is over and we have very few kids who are willing to sacrifice there summer to play baseball and make themselves better players.

Thanks Towel boy would like to add 16-18 year old league signs ups are this wednesday at 7.30pm for players who want to play summer baseball. Last season we played 54 games, 19 in 15 days won the League, State and went on to play in the World Series. I have brought great coaches like Jeff Reed, Bernie Young, Mike Hardin who is one of the best pitching coaches in our area who has donated their time to help kids learn the game. Hope to have another successful season, League play begins this Saturday. All Players are welcome;

Go Rangers Beat Friendship.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DekeRivers @ May 22 2007 - 10:36 PM) 826464993[/snapback]Thanks Towel boy would like to add 16-18 year old league signs ups are this wednesday at 7.30pm for players who want to play summer baseball. Last season we played 54 games, 19 in 15 days won the League, State and went on to play in the World Series. I have brought great coaches like Jeff Reed, Bernie Young, Mike Hardin who is one of the best pitching coaches in our area who has donated their time to help kids learn the game. Hope to have another successful season, League play begins this Saturday. All Players are welcome;

Go Rangers Beat Friendship.

stick a fork in them, they're done

After a couple - three years of Little League, on to Junior Babe Ruth, and then four consecutive state tournament appearances, one would expect that our Rangers are better than this; and this has Nothing to do with the scoreboard.

Our Seniors have nothing but good things to look back on. And just because we got knocked around a little, and incidentally, by a Very Good baseball team, is no excuse for insubordinate behavior.

Please don't leave the field tomorrow, in what could very well be your final game, with regret. Your teammates, parents, fans, and your very good Coaching Staff, and my friend, Michael Ensor - they all deserve much better.

Deke - if you are who I think you are - your blood runs whatever color best suits your kid, whether that be Bullbog Blue - Cyclone - Orange/Blk or maybe Ranger Maroon. What that - work ethics do seem to be the problem along with a lax staff - no discipline or practice ethic. I hate to say that but that seems to have been the problem for years and also you have to have kids that WANT to put that extra effort in to be a better team. It's too late to start pointing fingers now, 5 years at the State Tournament has to carry a little weight, alot of others would like to be in that position. Best of Luck to the Rangers today and maybe the younger players will put that extra in to make it back next year.

QUOTE(hayseed @ May 23 2007 - 07:53 AM) 826465129[/snapback]work ethics do seem to be the problem along with a lax staff - no discipline or practice ethic. I hate to say that but that seems to have been the problem for years and also you have to have kids that WANT to put that extra effort in to be a better team.

true that quote 100%

QUOTE(3Dgymnasium @ May 22 2007 - 11:25 PM) 826465025[/snapback]Is it true that there could possibly be a coaching change at Unaka highschool next season?

Facilities and Coaching obviously play determining roles in the athletic success of any school. And in Carter County, Logistics and Location are also huge factors. We'll discuss this at length on sportsedit.com, but there's much more to this than coaching.

QUOTE(bruno2 @ May 23 2007 - 02:07 PM) 826465413[/snapback]no, not "much more" it is 90% of the problem

Well Jim, Deke, Bruno and the rest, it's easy to sit back and hash it over and over and point out everyone's mistakes that they're making. Hindsight is 20/20, etc., etc....yada yada yada whoopie doo da day...... Could Acey be a better coach? Yes. Could Ryan be a better assistant? Yes. Could Brent be as good a fungo-man as Minton? Not a chance, but he's tryin'. Would they agree with that? Yes, except for the fungo part. Could I have been a better Dad? Yes. Who here couldn't be better than what they are now? How about you Cy? Can you be better? Or Tim, can you be a better Sportswriter. The spellchecker says yes. The point is we all have faults and weaknesses. We all wish we could go back and do things differently but we can't. Coming down on the boys and saying they can't or don't even know the meaning of 'compete' is total B.S. I've been with these boys a long time now and I've seen them at their best and at their worst. They deserved to be in Murfreesboro and I am proud of their accomplishments. I appreciate what the coaching staff does for the boys which goes far beyond what spectators see on the field. I would also suggest, now that it's over for me personally, that if someone has concerns that they offer their assistance to the coaching staff and team, and not "coaching" help, everybody wants to be the coach, there's help needed in a lot of areas besides the headlines coaching might get. I think it is important ,however, to work in conjunction with and in support of the coaches and not in spite of the coaches. The years to come will bring a good deal of discontent if there are more coaches on the sidelines than on the field. Whether anyone likes it or not it's the truth. Let the boys play and let the coaches coach. If you don't like the program then don't get in it. It is what it is. Can it be improved? Yes, and I believe it will. It has since we've been in it. I do agree that the boys have to have a better work ethic and be more focused to realize that improvement. There's a lot of potential there and work will turn them into better ballplayers. It also takes teamwork between the parents and coaches to realize a more improved program. Infighting there will spell disaster no matter how hard the boys work. Support the program. We lost today, whinning about it doesn't change a thing. Next year's another chance, start now and make the most of it because it'll all be over sooner than you think.....