Unaka and Richlands

corndogman

Ranger 87 you make a good point now let me make a good statement. You go on by saying we could be better at doing this the coaching staff could be better at doing that players could be better if they did this. Thats the problem we want to sugar coat and make excuses for this baseball program except just going down to the state tournament.

It may have been ok the first trip but when you succeed on making 5 strait appearances and you cant find someway to get a win or take a big step than the year before or the year before that theres no excuse. And yes I agree the teams down there are very strong and yes most of them have the facilities to be better not only defensively but offensively but as seeing that baseball program over the past couple of years I can honestly say we struggle with fundementals,lack of discapline and extra work ethic.

Ranger 87 I have been around baseball for a while and not only have I played but I have been on the field as well and if you call the performance we put on down there competing and you are involved with the program then you need a wake up call.

if you can call 10-0 and 19-1 competing than you are sadly mistaken my friend and these kids nor the program needs to be satisfied with the results we are getting.

I agree these kids and the staff have worked hard to get where they have gotten there is no doubt in my mind these kids can compete with anybody but its going to have to take more than what we are throwing at them.

And answer me this Ranger87 if were competing and we need to fix things how come it's the same things that keep biting us every year that we have yet to fix?Catching routine flyballs catching routine groundballs,agressive baserunning, learning to bunt the baseball. I could go on and on at things we need to work on the question is will we do them? These are little leagues type of mistakes we are making in the field and yet did we make any adjustments.

Are we willing as coaches and players to take the time and show these kids instead of just telling them and actually make these kids work on the little things of baseball and help make themselves better players not only as individuals but as a team.

And until we quit sugar coating things and accepting bad results than these kids are never going to know what it feels like to take that extra step towards there goal.

And I also believe in order for us to become a better baseball program it all starts with the facilities. Besides a good field to play on what do these kids not have that these other teams do. For one we should be pushing for a hitting facility second for a team that has made 5 strait state tournament appearances deserves lighting for there own field I could go on and on.

The point is until we decide to start working harder to become a better baseball program and quit letting these kids know its ok to accept what went on this past week we will be doing them and the program an injustice and what you seen or heard about today will continue.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(JIMA6578 @ May 23 2007 - 09:22 PM) 826465735[/snapback]Ranger 87 you make a good point now let me make a good statement. You go on by saying we could be better at doing this the coaching staff could be better at doing that players could be better if they did this. Thats the problem we want to sugar coat and make excuses for this baseball program except just going down to the state tournament.

It may have been ok the first trip but when you succeed on making 5 strait appearances and you cant find someway to get a win or take a big step than the year before or the year before that theres no excuse. And yes I agree the teams down there are very strong and yes most of them have the facilities to be better not only defensively but offensively but as seeing that baseball program over the past couple of years I can honestly say we struggle with fundementals,lack of discapline and extra work ethic.

Ranger 87 I have been around baseball for a while and not only have I played but I have been on the field as well and if you call the performance we put on down there competing and you are involved with the program then you need a wake up call.

if you can call 10-0 and 19-1 competing than you are sadly mistaken my friend and these kids nor the program needs to be satisfied with the results we are getting.

I agree these kids and the staff have worked hard to get where they have gotten there is no doubt in my mind these kids can compete with anybody but its going to have to take more than what we are throwing at them.

And answer me this Ranger87 if were competing and we need to fix things how come it's the same things that keep biting us every year that we have yet to fix?Catching routine flyballs catching routine groundballs,agressive baserunning, learning to bunt the baseball. I could go on and on at things we need to work on the question is will we do them? These are little leagues type of mistakes we are making in the field and yet did we make any adjustments.

Are we willing as coaches and players to take the time and show these kids instead of just telling them and actually make these kids work on the little things of baseball and help make themselves better players not only as individuals but as a team.

And until we quit sugar coating things and accepting bad results than these kids are never going to know what it feels like to take that extra step towards there goal.

And I also believe in order for us to become a better baseball program it all starts with the facilities. Besides a good field to play on what do these kids not have that these other teams do. For one we should be pushing for a hitting facility second for a team that has made 5 strait state tournament appearances deserves lighting for there own field I could go on and on.

The point is until we decide to start working harder to become a better baseball program and quit letting these kids know its ok to accept what went on this past week we will be doing them and the program an injustice and what you seen or heard about today will continue.

It's great to point all this out. However talk is cheap. What have you done to get lighting? What have you done to change any of these deficiencies? My point is that where we come from each person will have to do their part to get these facilities. The county's not going to provide them. Get with the coaches and tell them where the lights are coming from, where the indoor hitting facilities are coming from, where all these improvements are coming from. Begging in the streets won't provide the funds needed although the Creek was very generous towards our roadblock last Saturday without that we wouldn't have been able to even make the trip to State.

How about you Cy? Can you be better? Or Tim, can you be a better Sportswriter. The spellchecker says yes. The point is we all have faults and weaknesses.

Ranger87,

I would appreciate it if you left me out of this. I don't have anything to say regarding the Unaka baseball matter on here nor anywhere else. And if I do have a problem, I'll go to the source and discuss it, and not air it out on Coach T.

As for my sportswriting, I don't claim to be very good at it nor will I ever be. My goal as a writer is to try and be fair to every Carter County athlete. I hope the things they read about themselves in my articles will make them feel good now and in years to come. In my eyes, all that perform are special.

Some of us work hard for Unaka athletics, only behind the scenes. Most of the times, I've never been asked to do anything because many consider me an outsider but everytime I've been asked, I been there to do my part.

How many times have games been covered on my days off? You yourself said you didn't take the paper so why should you worry about what I write?

I don't know who these posters are that started this thread nor do I care. The comment I'm making is because my name was singled out in your post. But don't call me out for something that I have no control over nor do I wish to comment on.

As for the baseball part at the state tournament, I hope our kids and coaches went down there and give it their all both on and off the field. Only they can answer that question. It's not something you'll find the answer to on Coach T.

I will be the first one to come out and say I am a ranger fan through thick and thin. However I see where Ranger87 is coming from in a way being he had a kid who played on this years team it's tough to see Unaka's seniors go out in style in such a manner and I am saying it is hard to look back on a 19-1 and 10-0 loss.

How ever Jima6578 has a point. I agree I am not the one to sit back and discuss what facilities we have and dont have for our baseball program because I do know we are a little down and deep down I dont think we push hard enough for these type of things for these kids or we would have them sitting at our park and we would not be discussing this. Just like the light issue how long has our program been talking about getting lights and yet there these kids still sit with out a set.

Its discouraging if you are a parent because you not only want the best for your program but you want the best for your kids as well. And I do know that we are a very small single A school but there are other programs across the state with very nice bleachers,batting cages,indoor hitting facilities and so on we are just going to have to work a little harder on getting these things for these kids.

I do have one question though how come after the season is usually over these coaches are not taking these kids and playing baseball over the summer as a team. I am not sure on the rules but I was talking to a man the other day and he was saying your head coach is allowed to coach during the summer I believe it is only for this year though if I am not mistaken. If this is true why are we not making it mandatory like some of these other programs across the state and our area?

In closing I would like to say I am proud of these kids on there efforts at getting where they have gotten and had a good time watching these seniors contribute this year.

QUOTE(RANGER87 @ May 24 2007 - 10:39 AM) 826466020[/snapback]There you have it. Nobody likes critisizm when it's aimed at them, but people love to pile it on when somebody's down.

Who piled it on? Know the facts before you call someone out on here who's done nothing but support this group.

To each player and coach, Kudos on an excellent season. I speak for myself when saying you're guys exceeded my expectations. Best of luck to the senior players, Andrew, Carp and Brandon. You all had banner seasons.

whys the issue of facilities got to do with this ? /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" /> coaching and disipline/PRIDE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

we got the best single A field around, look at hamptons/cloudlands, UH has to go to Jonesboro to play home games.

Teach the kids pride, make them pick up after themselves...helments, bats , balls left on the field ,trash in the dugouts, yes some of the dugout mess isn't their fault but a lot is /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

A couple notes about Unaka at State:

First, Ranger87, I think your son is one of the Very Good young men, not only at Unaka, but in our community. He's bright, athletic, and hard-working. I am honored to know him. I hope he has ONLY good memories of his high school athletic endeavors, and follows that up with a distinguished college career. I think he will.

Meanwhile, about the wins and losses: Well, there were no wins at State. And, because of other issues, I really don't care. Maybe I should; but I don't. I'm so sorry we lost, again; but by how much is not of importance to me. I'M PROUD TO BE A RANGER. Nuff Said.

Things like whose son's picture is in the paper, who got to pitch; who got on base, et al - - - all that pales in the grand scheme, in the more serious behavioral issues. Because, most recently, the wins and losses have taken a back-seat to things of much higher priority.

To note:

At the end of the day, it really IS . . . .HOW you play the game. And, in this case, more importantly, it's how we the Team, conduct ourselves, on the playing field, and throughout the host communitiy. Quite unfortunately, there is alleged, indiscreet behavior on the part of some. Out of respect for Coach Thompson, and for liability considerations, I'll leave the rest to my own little website; but suffice it to say, there's Much to be concerned about; much to discuss in the immediate future, and over the summer.

In all do respect I believe Mr Chambers does a fine job. He has been around the game long enough and he understands it and he wants these kids and the program to be at its best and I believe if he was raving over something he has a good excuse.

As for this crap about about just for the fact these kids are seniors they are obligated to do this or get this... that makes me sick. A senior should be treated no differently then a freshman sophmore or junior. As for pictures being put in the paper I dont think that plays a big part on how your kid or our team played down there.

And if you want to talk about the underclassman's performances I can fill you in a little bit Mr Church. Jeff Peters probably had one of the hottest bats through out the whole post season why shouldn't this kid get the recognition sure his daddy is good buddies with Mr Chambers but ohh wait nevermind Jeff is not a senior so forget about what he has done.

Lets see Drew Chambers throws no hit baseball through 4 innings against Tennessee High has a perfect game through 5 going against University High walks 1 batter in the last inning and gives up what 3 runs and 4 or 5 hits and picks up the win in a district game as a freshman why shouldn't this kid get his picture in the paper or recognition ohh because he is not a senior.

And the way we played this week I dont think any seniors juniors sophmores or freshman put on a performance to deserve the spotlight if you think your kid was worth enough or any other seniors check the books. 3 strike outs 1-4 with 1 homerun gave up 14 hits which I believe he should have never been in that situation Coach Ensor should have lifted him midway through the 3rd after they saw he was getting hit the way they was hitting him and the dropped fly balls at the first of the game did not seem to help him out as well.

As for Mr Chambers I believe he does a good job of covering the games and I enjoy reading his stories not only does he do a good job of writing but he loves being around baseball and the kids. For you to criticize a man about his job and his concerns for the program is pothetic. I wish nothing but the best for the rangers and hope they can one day bring home a state title but I believe there are going to have to be some corrections in the program .

QUOTE(hayseed @ May 23 2007 - 07:53 AM) 826465129[/snapback]Deke - if you are who I think you are - your blood runs whatever color best suits your kid, whether that be Bullbog Blue - Cyclone - Orange/Blk or maybe Ranger Maroon. What that - work ethics do seem to be the problem along with a lax staff - no discipline or practice ethic. I hate to say that but that seems to have been the problem for years and also you have to have kids that WANT to put that extra effort in to be a better team. It's too late to start pointing fingers now, 5 years at the State Tournament has to carry a little weight, alot of others would like to be in that position. Best of Luck to the Rangers today and maybe the younger players will put that extra in to make it back next year.

So What are you trying to say??? That I'm trying to find the best players and coaches in the area for my son to play with???So that he can play in the big games and be seen by college coaches and maybe get a schloraship and save me thousands of dollars??? Dam your right.. You have figured me out, It worked with Alice who just graduated from Lee's McRae, It worked with Charles who just finished his first year at the Uiversity of Tennessee, so maybe it might work with Jeff. In baseball Unaka is the place to be, Five State Appearence, 10 or more District and Regional Titles, at least Five Sub-State Titles in the last five years, where else would you want to be in baseball.

As for Ranger 87 I sent pictures of Andrew, Adam, Drew, and Justin to the stars sports office on the final game. I sent Andrew pitching and the home run trot at home plate with the players waiting on him.. I don;t work there and receive no money for any thing I do for them. I send them pictures and they use what they want. As for the picture of Jeff in game one, thats what they ask for and I sent it along with pictures of Carpenter pitching. I even suggested running all three pitchers picture in the last game, but you see how much pull I got there. And in no way should you blast Tim, I have been associated with the Star since 1973 and for County coverage, its the best its EVER been. We also were at the Track, Tennis and softball fields during the mornings. I sent pictures of Jonathan Lyons, never saw any of those in the paper either.

And I'm sure your find many mistakes in my spelling and grammer cause i didn;t play well enough to get a schlorship, so what i learned in High School is all I know. But as far as my Children I've done my best that I can and their accomplishments should speak for itself.

QUOTE(RANGER87 @ May 24 2007 - 10:39 AM) 826466020[/snapback]There you have it. Nobody likes critisizm when it's aimed at them, but people love to pile it on when somebody's down.

WHO'S DOWN???? I think Unaka played great when they had to, and made it to the furthest they could. Did Hampton, No, Did Cloudland No, Did Happy Valley No, Did Elizabethton No, Did Erwin No, my point is they are the only team that finished where they should in the Big Show. All the teams I mention should have made it further, even Betsy, they had the chance to win, the team they played was very good but so was Elizabethton. If they break the game opening late instead of Gibbs then they are in Murf. So as far as being down, I'm not and special thanks to coach Ensor for getting all the Players possible in the game at the State Tournament. Hope to be back next year.