TSSAA Umpires @ State Tournament

nob4upost

I know that each umpire association sends umpires to the state tournament. I assume that each association's assigner picks the umps to send. But could there not be a better way than to get the assigner's buddy? Should they not earn a right to umpire in the State tournamnet? This week, I have seen some terrible umpires. If this is the best of each association then alot of the associations need to find better talent. Maybe they just stick the worst for AA.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(pballer44 @ May 23 2007 - 11:19 PM) 826465779[/snapback]I would agree with the bad umpires. Its human to miss a call but its bad to miss 4 or 5 big major calls. But then again no matter which way they call it someone will no agree with it.

I can't say where the umpires have been from for our games, but I have started to notice a trend that when we play in Nashville the strike zone is a bit different than in Memphis. In Memphis we tend to get a strike zone that goes from just below the knees to right around the belly button. Up here I have noticed the strike zone is a little higher in both spots, maybe an inch above the knees and an inch or two above the belly button. I'm not complaining or saying which is a better zone, just something I have noticed.

QUOTE(pballer44 @ May 23 2007 - 11:19 PM) 826465779[/snapback]I would agree with the bad umpires. Its human to miss a call but its bad to miss 4 or 5 big major calls. But then again no matter which way they call it someone will no agree with it.

I agree that each side sees it different. What kills me is stirke zones and how they change from one pitch to the other. It is hard for the kids to know what a strike is and is not with alot of these guys. Also, some of the high outside strikes that I have seen. When I use to coach coach pitch we alway would stress to make the pitch below the hands. These guys have been calling strikes all over the board. I can see missing one or two but to consistenly being inconsistent is terrible.

QUOTE(pballer44 @ May 23 2007 - 10:44 PM) 826465790[/snapback]Yea strike zones do tend to migrate from pitch to pitch i think we should rent those computers the put behind the plate in the bigs to see if our umpires are right or not. HAHA

i actually would love to have one of those for one of my games just to gage how i am doing i know it is not feasible due to expenses but i would love to see how i do

QUOTE(nob4upost @ May 23 2007 - 10:04 PM) 826465770[/snapback]I know that each umpire association sends umpires to the state tournament. I assume that each association's assigner picks the umps to send. But could there not be a better way than to get the assigner's buddy? Should they not earn a right to umpire in the State tournamnet? This week, I have seen some terrible umpires. If this is the best of each association then alot of the associations need to find better talent. Maybe they just stick the worst for AA.

A requirement for this year's State championships was for the umpire to attend the TSSAA clinic that was held in Murfreesboro back in January. If you did not or could not attend this clinic, you were not eligible to work the State. That's what we were told anyway. We were also told that the TSSAA chose the umpires from the attendance list, not the local association assigner.

QUOTE(catsbackr @ May 24 2007 - 07:16 AM) 826465857[/snapback]A requirement for this year's State championships was for the umpire to attend the TSSAA clinic that was held in Murfreesboro back in January. If you did not or could not attend this clinic, you were not eligible to work the State. That's what we were told anyway. We were also told that the TSSAA chose the umpires from the attendance list, not the local association assigner.

And just what was it they were supposed to learn from this clinic ?

How to keep them guessing ?

I dont believe the camp is mandtory. I worked the state tuurnament in Memphis in 2004 and have never been to a TSSAA camp. When I worked the State tournament most all were good umps but we did have a couple of the buddies that were not very good and they worked the lower classifications. It makes a difference that when you get to the state tournament all games use a 3 man system and some of the umpires have only worked the 2 man all their umpiring career so it is a big change in the rotations. TSSAA has a great group of umpires from retired major leaguers, Major DI umpires, small time DI umpires, Juco umpires, to just very good High School Umpires.

QUOTE(baseball @ May 24 2007 - 07:32 AM) 826465862[/snapback]I dont believe the camp is mandtory. I worked the state tuurnament in Memphis in 2004 and have never been to a TSSAA camp. When I worked the State tournament most all were good umps but we did have a couple of the buddies that were not very good and they worked the lower classifications. It makes a difference that when you get to the state tournament all games use a 3 man system and some of the umpires have only worked the 2 man all their umpiring career so it is a big change in the rotations. TSSAA has a great group of umpires from retired major leaguers, Major DI umpires, small time DI umpires, Juco umpires, to just very good High School Umpires.

Where are they hinding them then ?

I sure didn't see anyone that fits that description.

As far as the camp being mandatory, that is what we were told in our association, so take what you want from that.

Also, this is the first State that attendance at the clinic was supposedly mandatory so what happened in Memphis in 2004 doesn't have anything to do with this year.

We were also told that Gene Menees chose the umpires, not the association.

And as far as 2-man and 3-man goes, a lot of us in our association worked a minimum of 10 games from the District tournaments through the Sectionals, so unfamiliarity with the system really doesn't come into play. JMHO.

QUOTE(nob4upost @ May 23 2007 - 11:04 PM) 826465770[/snapback]I know that each umpire association sends umpires to the state tournament. I assume that each association's assigner picks the umps to send. But could there not be a better way than to get the assigner's buddy? Should they not earn a right to umpire in the State tournamnet? This week, I have seen some terrible umpires. If this is the best of each association then alot of the associations need to find better talent. Maybe they just stick the worst for AA.

Maybe you should join the umpire's association and work the games. It is a lot of positive incentives to the job...

1. Angry coaches and players.

2. Parents and spectators who think they can do a better job.

3. Parents, spectators, coaches and players who get on CoachT and tell them how terrible and awful they are.

4. Great $$$. Just ask any official how much they make.

5. Terrific meals. Ever tried a hot dog that has been cooking for more than two hours?

These are just a few of the great incentives. I am sure if you ask any of the people who do this job they can tell you more. They do the best they can so try to give them a little room for mistakes.