Multiplier Fails

QUOTE(MattmanUnaka02 @ May 28 2007 - 03:26 PM) 826468474[/snapback]Cute, "I have facts too so your argument doesn't work./tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />" There's a distinct difference between singluar schools who build a tradition of excellence, and thus tend to dominate, and a distinct category of schools who, among themselves, tend to dominate when they are significantly outnumbered and statisticaly shouldn't be able to win as much as they collectively do.

That being said, the amount of whining out of the publics is somewhat annoying this year. The multiplier wasn't intended to remove privates from competition, just remove the ones that, due to the, usually, increased attention to the students paid by private schools, are of sufficient size to have access to a pool of players and facilities that would allow them to play above the abilities of their size classification. It needs to be given a couple more years to even itself out. Schools have on years, schools have off years. FCS, JCS, USJ, etc were apparently on this year. The publics that made it to state, not so much. Now if we were to see the next three or four years dominated by the privates, then would be the time for griping.

Good post. However, I just belive there will always be a small private in a metrpoltan area that will "tend to dominate" until they are moveed and that isnt fair to them. If you split it just takes that whole equation out of the picture. Then TSSAA will have to deal with the issue of zoning in publics.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Baldcoach @ May 25 2007 - 07:59 AM) 826466747[/snapback]Question: Since the multiplier was initiated how many all public finals have occurred in 1-3a in Football? 5 out of six if I count correctly. So looking at Softball/Baseball for 1 year only is probably not valid.

Comment: The fact that the multiplier seems to be working for some sports and not for others simply shows what I have been saying all along...there is no such thing as a level playing field, and being public or private has 0 to do with it. Public schools dominate in some sports some years, privates in others in other years. Let's just all play and enjoy the wins, losses, and the whole process.

So far you've made the best statement on here.....by the way last year McKenzie won the 2006 A championship and Covington won the AA championship, they are both public. Just thought you would like to know.....

QUOTE(BaseballthruNthru @ May 29 2007 - 03:34 PM) 826468803[/snapback]by the way last year McKenzie won the 2006 A championship and Covington won the AA championship, they are both public. Just thought you would like to know.....

We all know that, but who won the championships for the last 10 years before then?

QUOTE(MPHSTIGERS87 @ May 26 2007 - 05:05 PM) 826467645[/snapback]It has nothing to do with this year, last year, or next year. Over the past 10 years in both baseball and football, small 1A private schools have dominated. Something changed from the 80's and early 90's to now because the privates went from nothing to dominating. Other than my wild theory, I can say it was probably the start of small privates in large cities with no boundaries to "advertise". I mean I really have nothing against privates other than a few of their posters "acting" like hypocrites. I know deep down inside they mean well, but they can mean well in there own classification where new upcoming privates in huge metropolitan cities can compete with them.

You continuously complain about the past...they added the multiplier, give it a chance...by the way not all private school parents are rich....oh and one more thing most of the boys on my sons private school baseball team have been playing together since they were in first grade together.......I wonder if that could have anything to do with why they are so good?

I know people think we need to give the multiplier more time, but this is what it help producce this year in the three major sports that makes money for smaller or any schools. This is only 1A, because I dont follow any other classification.

Football Championship Game

Friendship Christian VS. Jackson Christian

Basketball Championship

Chattanooga Arts and Science VS. Tennessee Temple

Baseball Championship

Read into as much as you like but those are facts.

QUOTE(MPHSTIGERS87 @ May 29 2007 - 05:24 PM) 826468821[/snapback]I know people think we need to give the multiplier more time, but this is what it help producce this year in the three major sports that makes money for smaller or any schools. This is only 1A, because I dont follow any other classification.

Football Championship Game

Basketball Championship

Chattanooga Arts and Science VS. Tennessee Temple

Baseball Championship

Read into as much as you like but those are facts.

And last year it produced Trousdale as the 1a Football champ and a public 1a baseball champ...

But of course 2 years of data don't mean anything...we don't have a clue about the multiplier since it has only been in effect for 2 years.

My opinion is that the schools that got multiplied will continue to do what they were doing before...work harder and harder, adapt game plans, and try to win even though they are playing schools twice their size (or 3 or 4 times their size). We look at it as a challenge, not a setback. So I expect the small privates to win a lot over the next few years...mostly because they are used to it now and don't like the idea of losing anymore.

I can tell you that we have gotten a lot better than we were just because we are having to play teams like Tyner and Smith County...fine squads that will rip you open in a heartbeat if you don't do things right. Maybe MPHS should schedule a couple of quality 2a or 3a teams...that is one of the things most of us did to get better. It hurts in the short run but those 1a teams just don't seem so tough anymore after facing some bigger better oponents.