Why did South stop playing Dobyns-Bennett

Heartbroke

QUOTE(Heartbroke @ Jun 7 2007 - 02:56 PM) 826472576[/snapback]Just one question, why aren't South and DB playing football this year? That does not even sound right. I know it's old news, but I dont care. I'm from kingsport and I want to know.

It is my understanding that they decided to play other teams due to the rivalry recently becoming more intense.

Dobyns-Bennett may have also decided to drop South to beef-up their non-conference schedule.

Well not saying this because I am for DB. I am sure some of the reason is because the intense rivalry and for the scheduling reason but when you have a team like south where they have had some good teams here recently and then go to the second game of the season and get trounced it does a good amount of bad to morale so it prob. did a couple of things for both teams and it was a posotive thing to do let things cool off some.

QUOTE(Heartbroke @ Jun 7 2007 - 12:56 PM) 826472576[/snapback]Just one question, why aren't South and DB playing football this year? That does not even sound right. I know it's old news, but I dont care. I'm from kingsport and I want to know.

You will never know the "real reason" the game was cancelled! Everyone has their opinion but noone "in the know" is talking! As far as I am concerned.... it has been way over played forever and I am glad it was cancelled.... DB was always "supposed" to win and South was always looking to beat DB (to prove something)..... the schools are in different classes (4A and 5A) for a reason! It is hard to compare the 2 teams when DB has 2 times the number of players ...regardless of how good South is they have not had the luxury of being able to use backeup players . I think it is time to move on! Goodluck to DB and LETS GO REBELS!

well....I don't think you can blame the wins and losses solely on the class....I mean lets look at the Maryville and DB scrimmages....Didn't look to good for DB, but anyways bottom line your right no one that actually knows is talking....and by the way, I hope South STOMPS SH!! GO REBS!!!!!! (for that one anyway)

Roll Tribe Roll

• 2 weeks later...

i havent been on here in forever and i got on here tonight and looked around and saw this and i had to say something. the reason that DB isnt playing south is because south wants to try to make curt phillips go undefeated in his senior year i know this for fact DB wanted to play south but south is the one that backed out.

South didn't want to play D-B...Coach Carter was the only one at South who wanted to continue playing the game...he was overruled...South didn't want to play D-B, it had nothing to do with D-B upgrading their schedule, D-B wanted to play the game and continue the series...period.

Roll Tribe Roll

Are you the same guys who found Weapons of Mass Destruction in Iraq?

i havent been on here in forever and i got on here tonight and looked around and saw this and i had to say something. the reason that DB isnt playing south is because south wants to try to make curt phillips go undefeated in his senior year i know this for fact DB wanted to play south but south is the one that backed out.

Stan is right however, for the sake of the few undyingly faithful Rebel fans I will give my 2 cents worth. Most (not all) football parents see it as a good thing. 75% of them don't want to make waves...not even as a group. Some of the most famous parents won't take it lying down but the "other" parents stand by and say, "Watch her, she'll set them straight." They don't offer assistance though. They don't want to be politically incorrect. Some are in the position to not be tainted and therefore carry the flag. A few don't care about the consequences and just want what is right. But overall, South does not have the fan dedication (fanatication) that DB has. The DB fans are united and have one mind. The South fans are divided and therefore not united in the sense that they know regardless of race, color, or economic background that they are supported by the person standing next to them. Sad but true. The DB fans did not take the 7-6 DB win over South in '05 lightly...nor did they stomach the William Blount fiasco without much ponderance of Clarks future. They called for Clarks head. The thing about fanatical devotion is that it is a 2 edged sword...it can work for you or against you. All in all, Clark is fortunate to have the DB fan base and gladly endures any chastisement he must in order to continue his reign at Highland High. South on the other hand is pulled in many directions. And it pulls at the seams Stacy is so diligently trying to stitch together. There are two problems at South and they both need repair and they have nothing to do with football. Until these issues are rectified South will continue to meander through the wilderness never really becoming the cohesive, structurally sound machine that it's coaches and level of athleticism from it's athletes could allow it to become. In the past 4 years South has been in the sweet spot but just can't seem to bake the cake. Maybe not quite as powerful as the early 80's teams but more finessed. I think in the end it will take Stacy and Co. to wake everyone up by saying, "OK, we did our part...now you do yours!" As far as the cancellation of the DB/South classic...there has been much said in this forum about it. It has been deliberated and disected. No, no one came out and proclaimed the actual reason why this happened but I think the common consensous leads in only one direction and is actually the underlying reason behind most if not all of South's athletic problems. I think if you are confused on this issue then you should just read what has been said here (and much has been said here) and you will at least be in the ballpark. That said, I think this subject should be considered dead and we should move on to other things unless of course someone is intending on forming a lynch mob. So good luck to DB and South in protecting the reputation of Kingsport in '07. And I, for one, look forward to the day the DB/South classic is reinstated. Rebel Nation.

Maybe I misunderstood the last post, but I don't think you can characterize a few posters on coachT yelling about the last four plays of the season for D-B as the D-B fan base calling "for Clark's head"...don't know of any Indian fan that would want that to be what last year is remembered for, but the implication of an organized mutiny is well beyond incorrect.

And regardless of what thoughts may be playing out in the Pactolus community, South ended the series with D-B...D-B wanted to continue, South decided not to continue...that is a fact...my understanding is that of the decision makers at South Coach Carter was the only one who wanted to continue the series and he was overruled, out voted, or whatever the term you might want to use...and I understand this because that is what Coach Carter told me...

It is done, I think unfortunate, but that is how it is and so we all go on...

If I did misunderstand, then I apologize.

Roll Tribe Roll