Cheer board

Vivadebella

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why doesn't anyone really write on here? I've seen previous topics posted but no one was on. So why not start off-What squads are going to shine this coming season?

I know RIVERDALE doesnt go out and compete but how many schools do go to a lot of competitons and the ones that do...do they also cheer for both football and basketball?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As the parent of several cheerleaders, I can say that not many know about this board. So..... tell me, how is your school's cheerleading program handled? Is it competitive or just for school spirit and your opinion on this.

I have seen good programs fall due to the extreme competitive nature of the sponsors and coaches; girls that have cheered 7 or more years quit due to the extreme time requirement. practices at 8:00 a.m. every Saturday morning after a football game the night before, in addition to the 5 school day practices. Year round, not just during football or prior to a competition. Now schools with over 2000 students don't even have 1 complete cheerleading squad, much less a JV or Freshman squad to cheer for those football teams.

That is sad.... I personally believe it's about school spirit 1st and competition 2nd and most of the girls I know feel the same.

How much do you pay your coaches. We pay at least $5.00 per girl, per practice. Add that up and you wonder what the motivation is.... hmm. est... ( 20 girls x $5.00 = $100.00 x 6 days = $600.00) per week for 12 hours. That's $50.00 an hour!

Okay, I've said enough for now.....I'll be interested to see the responses.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

As the parent of several cheerleaders, I can say that not many know about this board. So..... tell me, how is your school's cheerleading program handled? Is it competitive or just for school spirit and your opinion on this.

I have seen good programs fall due to the extreme competitive nature of the sponsors and coaches; girls that have cheered 7 or more years quit due to the extreme time requirement. practices at 8:00 a.m. every Saturday morning after a football game the night before, in addition to the 5 school day practices. Year round, not just during football or prior to a competition. Now schools with over 2000 students don't even have 1 complete cheerleading squad, much less a JV or Freshman squad to cheer for those football teams.

That is sad.... I personally believe it's about school spirit 1st and competition 2nd and most of the girls I know feel the same.

How much do you pay your coaches. We pay at least $5.00 per girl, per practice. Add that up and you wonder what the motivation is.... hmm. est... ( 20 girls x $5.00 = $100.00 x 6 days = $600.00) per week for 12 hours. That's $50.00 an hour!

Okay, I've said enough for now.....I'll be interested to see the responses.

I started coaching cheerleaders in 1974 and will complete my career with cheerleaders after basketball season this year. I've coached junior pro cheerleaders aged 5-13, freshman, junior varsity, varsity, and competition, both football and basketball. My philosophy has always been that the cheerleaders cheer for the team first, competition second. I always tell my squads that that they are athletes who have a job to do at every game. That job is to increase school spirit and attendance at games by using fan friendly cheers and chants, make signs advertising games and encouraging students to come to games, design interesting, interactive pep rallies, incorporate tumbling and stunts to generate enthusiasm, continue to be 'perky' and spirited even if the team is losing, be polite to other squads, to continue to increase their skill level and abilities, and to be proud that they were selected. I have coached squads who were school and competition combined and those that were separate. From my experience, the best squads are those that are separate. Too often, squads get caught up in the thrill of competition and forget their job is to the team first. I've seen squads perform their 'competition routines' at games and pep rallies instead of interacting with the students and fans at the games. That is sad! And, yes, most of the good programs do fall ... or stumble...when the coach's ego, or highly competitive nature, overshadows what the 'cheer-leading' squad should be doing....unless the squad is just competition.

Keeping them separate is best in my opinion.

$50 an hour.....I wish! That's got be a record for pay... maybe that's a competition coach! I get paid by supplement from the county. Even when I coached competition, I still got just a supplement from my county. Taking into consideration 2 three hour practices a week, one day to make signs, prepare pep rallies, another day at the gym to improve skills, one game a week for football, two for basketball, decorate gym or field, "goodies" for players, fill out endless forms, travel to and from games home and away, practice time two to three days a week for 3 hours during March, April, May, and June to get ready for camp, fund raising activities, afternoons set aside for fittings for uniforms and camp clothes, attending camps with squad (that's 3 days times 24 hours per day), Athletic Club meetings in the evenings once a month, updating my certifications by attending instructional, information seminars and classes, attending TSSAA meetings to keep abreast of changes in rules, and other responsibilities...all this adds up to a measley $3.23 per hour! But, I love coaching, so I do it! And my family doesn't suffer too much! They know I love coaching. I'd love to get paid just minimum wage for my time.

And now you know the rest of the story!

• 3 weeks later...

What does anyone think about the york cheer squad this year? /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

York's cheerleaders did an awsome job representing their school during football season. You could tell they worked very hard and have put in many hours towards practices. They had some great dances and cheers. Keep up the good work girls !!!!