Mercy rule?

rockytoptn1

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has the "Mercy Rule" always been on the books or was it recently enacted due to recent blowouts in certain games? Ex. RBS V Trousdale Co. acouple of years ago. I can say its hard to tell your freshmen to play but NOT score. Comments are welcomed....

working in macon county i hear it all the time. if they had a rope they would of tried to hang coach satterfield as they came back into lafayette. i always ask them " so what your tellin me is that if your kid who has only got to bat in tee ball a couple of times should strike out this time since the other team members have scored, and i always get that gruffy grunt as they walk away. i have a child that wears the red and gray in the school year but when it comes to football he still cheers for my alma matta. i lost a hard bet last year and will have to wear the white and blue to trousdale/macon on the creekbank this year , but a pretty high political figure has decided to make the same wager this year and i feel that he may have to wear some purple and gold up here next year so as allways lets roll this year jackets

it simply states that if a game has a 35 point difference in the 2nd half that the clock will continue to run except for scores, timeouts and injuries

That's a good effort to try and keep things under control, but if a teams second or third string is still out playing the other teams first then it won't make that much difference. I know a blowout lose hurts , but if a coach is calling dive plays and the other team still can't stop it then the coach has still acted like a class act even if his team continues to run up the score.

Has the "Mercy Rule" always been on the books or was it recently enacted due to recent blowouts in certain games? Ex. RBS V Trousdale Co. acouple of years ago. I can say its hard to tell your freshmen to play but NOT score. Comments are welcomed....

In the past there have been times where an agreement between the coaches was made to run the clock if the score was out of hand. It didn't always happen but occasionally it would.

I can remember seeing games either shortened to 8 minute quarters in the second half or just let the clock run to make it shorter. It didn't really stop the bleeding but it did speed up the death process.

It is my understanding that this will apply in other sports also-basketball, etc... I know Clint Satterfield has taken alot of criticism about that particular game and many have complained about him being "classless" but his record stands for itself. Blowout games like that are excruiating to watch and kinda boring.

It is my understanding that this will apply in other sports also-basketball, etc... I know Clint Satterfield has taken alot of criticism about that particular game and many have complained about him being "classless" but his record stands for itself. Blowout games like that are excruiating to watch and kinda boring.

Is it classy or not?......who knows; I was a part of a game in the early 90's involving Macon Co. where the final score was 75-0. Our coach could have broken our single game scoring record as there where 10 minutes left after the final score but refused to do so. There were nothing but freshmen playing the last 10 minutes and we were running QB sneaks over and over and still getting 1st downs. We happenned to run out of time b/4 we scored. A starter didnt even play in the 2nd half so sometimes teams are just that much better; you cant tell your guys not to try.

YOU CAN CONTINUE TO PLAY ! just ask some of the past opponents of JO BYRNS , coach Adkins does put the subs in the 2nd half due to a blow out game, and most of the time if the subs get inside the 20 coach has them to just knee the ball all 4 downs, and turn the ball over, if all would follow this system you would have no cause for the mercy rule, and still continue to get your future players reps and build respect and integrity within themselves: Case in point playoff game in 05 against ( a private school ) columbia aca. JB has the game in the bag and inside the ten and coach Adkins decides to just run the clock out by downing the ball with a big lead, the Devils had already killed a couple of plays and the next play CA blasted the line and tried to hurt one of the Devil players, but in the end I wonder who set the correct example of how to handle the game situation, you tell me who had the class in this game

YOU CAN CONTINUE TO PLAY ! just ask some of the past opponents of JO BYRNS , coach Adkins does put the subs in the 2nd half due to a blow out game, and most of the time if the subs get inside the 20 coach has them to just knee the ball all 4 downs, and turn the ball over, if all would follow this system you would have no cause for the mercy rule, and still continue to get your future players reps and build respect and integrity within themselves: Case in point playoff game in 05 against ( a private school ) columbia aca. JB has the game in the bag and inside the ten and coach Adkins decides to just run the clock out by downing the ball with a big lead, the Devils had already killed a couple of plays and the next play CA blasted the line and tried to hurt one of the Devil players, but in the end I wonder who set the correct example of how to handle the game situation, you tell me who had the class in this game

so in essance we in the world of sympathy and good sportsmanship should instill in our youth that if you work hard and put a 110% in everything you do that you can accomplish .....? i agree with the fast clock. give the opposing coach the ability to conceede the game if he wishes, but dont punish that last string player for showing that he has worked hard and this is what he can do. unfortunately TC has to play schools because of regions that may not have the guidence that TC has been blessed with. i aslo understand that although RBS may not have a great football team, they do have some very proud young men that take that field every friday night and give it there all. there is some other young men that walk the school halls over there that would be valuable to the team that wont play because they dont want to loose, well this is who i feel the fault lies in. if you actually expect a mule to pull a plow for that carrot in front of his nose then he needs to know what that carrot tastes like early on......

so in essance we in the world of sympathy and good sportsmanship should instill in our youth that if you work hard and put a 110% in everything you do that you can accomplish .....? i agree with the fast clock. give the opposing coach the ability to conceede the game if he wishes, but dont punish that last string player for showing that he has worked hard and this is what he can do. unfortunately TC has to play schools because of regions that may not have the guidence that TC has been blessed with. i aslo understand that although RBS may not have a great football team, they do have some very proud young men that take that field every friday night and give it there all. there is some other young men that walk the school halls over there that would be valuable to the team that wont play because they dont want to loose, well this is who i feel the fault lies in. if you actually expect a mule to pull a plow for that carrot in front of his nose then he needs to know what that carrot tastes like early on......

patience does prevail, and the last string player does not get punished, and yes 110% is expected, and yes the subs do get to make a big play or run for a TD, the prior quote is in reference to the mercy rule not whether the future players get to score or not. ( talking about real out of hand games )and yes RBS probably does have some guys that could help the team, so with that in mind some play and some dont doesnt mean that you just drill a team as bad as you can

If you are running the ball on every down and running a base defense with no blitzing or zone, and the game is still getting out of hand then so be it. I think it is more embarrasing to have a team openly lay down and quit playing than it is to give you the dignity of at least playing it out no matter how bad it is.