Mercy rule?

rockytoptn1

If you are running the ball on every down and running a base defense with no blitzing or zone, and the game is still getting out of hand then so be it. I think it is more embarrasing to have a team openly lay down and quit playing than it is to give you the dignity of at least playing it out no matter how bad it is.

I agree w/ this statement; I mean dont patranize these kids b/c that is just not how the real world works. The U.S. is so worried about hurting peoples feelings that it forgets what has made it a success. If there is not alot of time left in the game sure go ahead and kneel on the ball but dont just quit trying w/ a whole quarter remaining. The worse you beat them the more motivated they should get to get better; it shows alot of character for athletes to walk around the halls and not play b/c they are afraid to lose.........I woudnt wont guys like that playing w/ me anyway b/c even though they are athletes they are lacking in mental toughness.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree w/ this statement; I mean dont patranize these kids b/c that is just not how the real world works. The U.S. is so worried about hurting peoples feelings that it forgets what has made it a success. If there is not alot of time left in the game sure go ahead and kneel on the ball but dont just quit trying w/ a whole quarter remaining. The worse you beat them the more motivated they should get to get better; it shows alot of character for athletes to walk around the halls and not play b/c they are afraid to lose.........I woudnt wont guys like that playing w/ me anyway b/c even though they are athletes they are lacking in mental toughness.

In the old days, it wasn't that coaches really were concerned about "feelings" as much as the fact that the coaches were friends off the field, or at least knew each other well, and wanted to win as much as coaches today but did not want to embarrass (if that is the correct word) the other coach during a down year. I don't know how much of that exists nowadays.

In the old days, it wasn't that coaches really were concerned about "feelings" as much as the fact that the coaches were friends off the field, or at least knew each other well, and wanted to win as much as coaches today but did not want to embarrass (if that is the correct word) the other coach during a down year. I don't know how much of that exists nowadays.

i will say this. there are people that will complain no matter what. coach satterfield did not hammer or try to embarrass rbs. but if you have played everyone but the cheerleadersand they are able to score then you cant blame the players and in my opinon the coaches. in spring and the summer they have coached young players to give thier all and when they do it is wrong? there are teams every year in every district that are prepared better than others. and if you make the freshman lay down knowing that is thier moment to show mom and dad in the stands of what they have worked hard for all year, then what have they worked for. it also shows what someone can do when they give 110 %. i agree that it is wrong to score only because you can, but i dont think that there is a whole lot you can do when you have tried to put in your young team against what should be the more expierenced team , and they still continue to score

i will say this. there are people that will complain no matter what. coach satterfield did not hammer or try to embarrass rbs. but if you have played everyone but the cheerleadersand they are able to score then you cant blame the players and in my opinon the coaches. in spring and the summer they have coached young players to give thier all and when they do it is wrong? there are teams every year in every district that are prepared better than others. and if you make the freshman lay down knowing that is thier moment to show mom and dad in the stands of what they have worked hard for all year, then what have they worked for. it also shows what someone can do when they give 110 %. i agree that it is wrong to score only because you can, but i dont think that there is a whole lot you can do when you have tried to put in your young team against what should be the more expierenced team , and they still continue to score

I agree to a point I don't think you should pass the ball or blitz on D, but if you instruct your Freshmen to run the play clock down to one before you snap the ball and do nothing but run it and still score then you've done nothing wrong.

Sorry 'bout that... Ok, am I to understand this is an option a coach can choose to do say, if the score is 50-0 and its in the 4th quarter, can he choose to exercise the "mercy Rule" or is this automatic ???

I believe it is automatic. Someone suggested that they let the losing coach decide against it but I think it is to be automatic.

It's a set rule. 35 point difference in the 4th quarter and the clock runs. But, if at any time the score gets back under 35 then the clock will run as normal. Unlike basketball, where once the 35 point difference has been hit, the clock will run even if the score gets back to single digits, though that would be a miracle.

It's a set rule. 35 point difference in the 4th quarter and the clock runs. But, if at any time the score gets back under 35 then the clock will run as normal. Unlike basketball, where once the 35 point difference has been hit, the clock will run even if the score gets back to single digits, though that would be a miracle.

I read about the clock running as normal if the score gets back under 35. What is the point of this? Someone said it was for a team trying to mount a comeback. That can't be it though because they take any chance of that (rare occasion) happening by letting the clock run on at any point. So does anyone know the real reason for the clock returning to normal if the scoring difference gets back to under 35?

I read about the clock running as normal if the score gets back under 35. What is the point of this? Someone said it was for a team trying to mount a comeback. That can't be it though because they take any chance of that (rare occasion) happening by letting the clock run on at any point. So does anyone know the real reason for the clock returning to normal if the scoring difference gets back to under 35?

I think the idea is to try and limit the beatings to 35 points or less without compromising the integrity of the rules of the game. So "returning the clock to normal" is a way of maintaining the integrity of the game (on those rare occasions where a team mounts a comeback).