Mercy rule?

rockytoptn1

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so in essance we in the world of sympathy and good sportsmanship should instill in our youth that if you work hard and put a 110% in everything you do that you can accomplish .....?

Respect.

How many people respect Trousdale Co after beating RBS 90-0. I guarantee there are more now that dont.

Respect.

How many people respect Trousdale Co after beating RBS 90-0. I guarantee there are more now that dont.

i have never said that it is what the coach wants, but fuss all u want, other than walking off the field you play the young players and if they score what else is left.ask your kid the next time he crosses into the endzone if he thought the price was worth the wait or scold him for working hard and rubbin it in someones face that just hasnt pulled together to stop the run

It’s called a “Mercy” rule for a reason…

The way mercy was explained to me is like this:

Mercy is when you have the power to do whatever you want but instead of using the power for personal gain you withhold the power in order to show compassion and kindness (i.e. God).

I think it’s very unfortunate that we have to implement these types of rules due to certain individuals lacking mercy. Some would argue that the football field is not a place for mercy but I disagree. This rule is a moral issue and not a football issue. Based on the previous arguments, lets take a vote:

Is rewarding hard work more important than showing mercy?

Mercy is when you have the power to do whatever you want but instead of using the power for personal gain you withhold the power in order to show compassion and kindness (i.e. God).

I think it’s very unfortunate that we have to implement these types of rules due to certain individuals lacking mercy. Some would argue that the football field is not a place for mercy but I disagree. This rule is a moral issue and not a football issue. Based on the previous arguments, lets take a vote:

good quote moto: lets see what kind of character and integrity people on coacht have

good quote moto: lets see what kind of character and integrity people on coacht have

Mercy isn't laying down 2 stop the bleeding, it’s showing compassion while still playing the game. If the clock is running nonstop and a coach has his last string players in and is running draw plays and up the middle handoffs then his obligation to show mercy has been fulfilled. At this point, if the scoring continues, it is no longer the winning team being merciless; it’s the loosing team being prideless. Let the last sting players play their hardest but let them do so in a way that is merciful.

Mercy isn't laying down 2 stop the bleeding, it’s showing compassion while still playing the game. If the clock is running nonstop and a coach has his last string players in and is running draw plays and up the middle handoffs then his obligation to show mercy has been fulfilled. At this point, if the scoring continues, it is no longer the winning team being merciless; it’s the loosing team being prideless. Let the last sting players play their hardest but let them do so in a way that is merciful.

I agree. I"ll go on the record as saying I don't like this rule at all. I enjoy watching a full football game with the hopes of seeing some young players get some real playing time. Milan has always benefitted from not running up the score and letting their young players get some good varsity playing time to help in the future.

In the context of football I think you can do both. But if I have to answer one way or the other I think showing mercy is more important if the alternative is pounding some team into oblivion. I will add to that only this:Mercy, is a virtue, is compassionate treatment, especially of those under one’s power, a disposition to be kind and forgiving. "Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy."