Supreme Court Rules in Favor of TSSAA

DS2001

The Tennessean is reprting on it`s website that the Supreme Court has ruled in favor of the TSSAA in upholding recruiting rules that state associations set.....the decision said that Brentwood Academy`s free speech rights were not violated by these rules.........Where do we go from here?

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was a done deal when they agreed to rehear the case. IMO, it will have no major bearing on the way high school sports are conducted in TN, nor would it have if BA had won. TSSAA's appeal was about the money.

The undue influence rule is still poorly written and unevenly enforced, to say the least. This ruling validates the enormous discretionary enforcement powers given to TSSAA, but I doubt they will use them any more diligently.

Well, coach, if you are now going to come on your own site and start calling posters out for stating the obvious, you are going to be one busy guy!

I always hear that TSSAA does everything for the money. It this case, at least, it has to although that is not the only reason they pursued the case. I know of no way they the TSSAA would have MADE money off this case. I assume the lawyers for both sides are the only ones that could come out of this benefitting financially.

Official Supreme Court ruling

This is not the first ruling, of course, in this case. Is it now over or does BA have the right to an appeal? I would think they would but am not sure.

I haven't read the entire ruling yet, but unless they ask a lower court to re-hear an argument that they deemed incorrect then this part of it is over - "this part" being the issue that they ruled on. Now, there could be angles from other parts of previous rulings that could be contested and continue the process. And that will continue the lunacy.

I haven't read the entire ruling yet, but unless they ask a lower court to re-hear an argument that they deemed incorrect then this part of it is over - "this part" being the issue that they ruled on. Now, there could be angles from other parts of previous rulings that could be contested and continue the process. And that will continue the lunacy.

I think you are right, that the earlier ruling sent it back to the lower court based on an incorrect ruling on the lower court's part. This ruling looks to be final.

Could BA be forced for pay the TSSAA's court costs, since BA brought the case?