Supreme Court Rules in Favor of TSSAA

DS2001

Private schools can not talk to public school middle school students about attending. Public schools can not talk to private school middle school students about attending. BA felt that since a contract had been signed that it was OK to contact them but that violated the rule of the TSSAA, of which they had voluntarily joined and agreed to the rules.

i guess im not gettin it but bein asked to attend practices doesnt really affect if they are going to attend the school because they had already done the papers and were set to go there. i could understand if they were looking and the coach had sent the letters before they signed or if he had been pushing for them to come to BA before they signed. is that what happened?? were the letters sent during the school year or summer and is there a date that you have to wait for before you can contact a student coming from another school about practicing and playing?? maybe i dont know the whole story but if they were rising freshmen and they were contacted to attend football practice isnt that the same thing as when the other 8th graders from the other middle schools have meetings with the high school coaches to hear about the program and find out when practice starts and how to get on the team before the season and sometimes even when they are still in middle school?

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i guess im not gettin it but bein asked to attend practices doesnt really affect if they are going to attend the school because they had already done the papers and were set to go there. i could understand if they were looking and the coach had sent the letters before they signed or if he had been pushing for them to come to BA before they signed. is that what happened?? were the letters sent during the school year or summer and is there a date that you have to wait for before you can contact a student coming from another school about practicing and playing?? maybe i dont know the whole story but if they were rising freshmen and they were contacted to attend football practice isnt that the same thing as when the other 8th graders from the other middle schools have meetings with the high school coaches to hear about the program and find out when practice starts and how to get on the team before the season and sometimes even when they are still in middle school?

The rules, though, were set and BA agreed to them so those are the guidelines they had to go by. If these had been students at a private middle school then, no problem. I understand that BA has to have these contracts signed early so they know how many students they will have the next fall but for athletic purposes they cannot contact prospective players, especially in the type of letter Coach Flatt sent. At least, according to the Supreme Court.

The rules, though, were set and BA agreed to them so those are the guidelines they had to go by. If these had been students at a private middle school then, no problem. I understand that BA has to have these contracts signed early so they know how many students they will have the next fall but for athletic purposes they cannot contact prospective players, especially in the type of letter Coach Flatt sent. At least, according to the Supreme Court.

I understand that BA agreed to follow under the TSSAA rules and regs. but under current TSSAA rules under Article II Section 17 they were not in violation becasue it states that they cannot use the use of undue influence on a student, parents, etc...to secure or to retain a student for athletic purposes. so if the student has already enrolled or signed a contract and then is contacted he should be fair game because he is in BA's system as a student and is not tryin to be retained. Also they shouldnt be in violation because under Article II Section 8 an eight grade student is eleigble to participate for a member school if he/she is enrolled at the school students below eighth grade are not....repeating eighth graders are also not. So that should mean that during the summer if they are enrolled at the school they can participate in summer activities. Also if a student coming from a public school and cant be contacted from the private school they are attending the next year then how will they have a chance to participate in fall sports the next year. If they have to wait untill school starts then that almost counts out any fall sports participation.

I understand that BA agreed to follow under the TSSAA rules and regs. but under current TSSAA rules under Article II Section 17 they were not in violation becasue it states that they cannot use the use of undue influence on a student, parents, etc...to secure or to retain a student for athletic purposes. so if the student has already enrolled or signed a contract and then is contacted he should be fair game because he is in BA's system as a student and is not tryin to be retained. Also they shouldnt be in violation because under Article II Section 8 an eight grade student is eleigble to participate for a member school if he/she is enrolled at the school students below eighth grade are not....repeating eighth graders are also not. So that should mean that during the summer if they are enrolled at the school they can participate in summer activities. Also if a student coming from a public school and cant be contacted from the private school they are attending the next year then how will they have a chance to participate in fall sports the next year. If they have to wait untill school starts then that almost counts out any fall sports participation.

The TSSAA definition of enrolled is attending the school for three days if you are not at a feeder school for that high school. The contract you mention is between BA and a student but does not affect the TSSAA rule because it is not binding. I realize that if parents pay a deposit that would seem to indicate enrollment but does not according to the TSSAA and now backed by the Supreme Court ruling.

The TSSAA definition of enrolled is attending the school for three days if you are not at a feeder school for that high school. The contract you mention is between BA and a student but does not affect the TSSAA rule because it is not binding. I realize that if parents pay a deposit that would seem to indicate enrollment but does not according to the TSSAA and now backed by the Supreme Court ruling.

ok but like that really doesnt make sense from a legal standpoint because of what that contract really means. i dont get why the TSSAA wouldnt recognize that as a legit enrollment just because if you have signed that you are pretty much set to go there. So if you come from a public to private school from middle to high you cannot participate in summer workouts and practices? that doesnt seem fair to someone who is coming from public to private because that will greatly reduce playing time and experience with the team because summer is when you learn the plays and everything and once school starts the games start like the second week of school. is there anytime during the summer that would allow for someone like that to work with the team since they cant attend the school for three days untill august and wouldnt be enrolled under TSSAA standards untill then?

ok but like that really doesnt make sense from a legal standpoint because of what that contract really means. i dont get why the TSSAA wouldnt recognize that as a legit enrollment just because if you have signed that you are pretty much set to go there.

Because the public schools are not allowed to issue a contract so the private schools are able to use "undue Influence" by asking a family to sign a contract binding them to that school, at least monetarily. Students that were already attending BA in 6th - 8th grades were not affected, of course, only students at schools that were feeder schools for public schools.

The other part of your post I can't answer because I have never taught at a private school so I don't know how all of that is handled. Most students at private schools are already students there before the 9th grade so this affects relatively few.

Because the public schools are not allowed to issue a contract so the private schools are able to use "undue Influence" by asking a family to sign a contract binding them to that school, at least monetarily. Students that were already attending BA in 6th - 8th grades were not affected, of course, only students at schools that were feeder schools for public schools.

The other part of your post I can't answer because I have never taught at a private school so I don't know how all of that is handled. Most students at private schools are already students there before the 9th grade so this affects relatively few.

yeah i wonder if there is anyone else on here that knows about how the students that come from public schools are handled. but from what ive read in the rule book and what uve said it seems like there isnt a way around it without violating another TSSAA rule thats the problem that i have with what happened because just because a student comes from public to private doesnt mean they shouldnt be able to participate in fall sports there should have been a rule in place that allows students planning on attending a school and that have already committed to go to school there, without violating the recruiting rule meaning they have just decided to go private without influence from anyone at the school, to be able to workout with and practice with the team just as the students who came through the school or feeder school were allowed to.

yeah i wonder if there is anyone else on here that knows about how the students that come from public schools are handled. but from what ive read in the rule book and what uve said it seems like there isnt a way around it without violating another TSSAA rule thats the problem that i have with what happened because just because a student comes from public to private doesnt mean they shouldnt be able to participate in fall sports there should have been a rule in place that allows students planning on attending a school and that have already committed to go to school there, without violating the recruiting rule meaning they have just decided to go private without influence from anyone at the school, to be able to workout with and practice with the team just as the students who came through the school or feeder school were allowed to.

From things Ihave read lately from other states and the National High School Assocciation, the only real protection they feel they can give to students is at the 8th-grade level when choosing a high school and all of them have rigid rules at that point in time, moreso than any other time. Even then, did you notice that USC's basketball coach offered a full scholarship last week to an 8th-grader?

Even then, did you notice that USC's basketball coach offered a full scholarship last week to an 8th-grader?

I thought that colleges couldn't even talk to potential players until their junior year... so how is it that this coach got all the way around that and not only talked to him but also offered him a scholarship??? Something ain't right there fella's...

I believe kids that are coming from a public school to a private school (or vice versa) can participate in summer workouts or team camps. I think the issue is coaches contacting the students.

At least I know this is done in Chattanooga with football and basketball.

I believe kids that are coming from a public school to a private school (or vice versa) can participate in summer workouts or team camps. I think the issue is coaches contacting the students.

At least I know this is done in Chattanooga with football and basketball.

That could be. There has to be something that I am missing here.