William Blount vs Sevier County

GovMan

Etcoach –

You are dead on with your assessment of WB. Getting the opportunity to be in contact with WB students on a daily basis, just like yourself, gives me an insider’s view of the students at WB and their mentality as it pertains to the athletics. I would say that 50 % of the students at WB don’t even know who Tyler is or what he does, much less do they want to come out for the football team. They have other things to worry about, such as, working to pay for that car that they had to purchase on their own or trying to figure what they are going to do after they graduate; for a large percentage it will not be college. But, that is OK because WB is set-up in away that provides its students with opportunities to learn a trade or get prepared for life after high school that does not include college. I say all this to say the same thing that etcoach said; just because we have 1900 students does not mean they want to be on the football team or that even care about the football team, because to them there are far more important things in life than WB football.

Somebody to agree with me.........man that feels good.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FBE, forgive me for inserting my 2 cents worth (coming from me probably worth less than a penny), I too am uncomfortable with Burstrom going both ways. Hopefully, as the season moves on, we will see one of the younger guys mature into that position. I think the coaching staff believes at this very minute, that is what gives them the best opportunity to win football games. In talking with them, ideally he would be on the sideline when WB is on defense.

No forgiveness needed Sir. My $02 is just that mine. I am one who would like to see WB win big. I got friends in that neck of the woods and I am sure the coaches think playing a kid both ways is the best way to win early. I just don't agree. I also agree with blountfan and etcoach that there is less commitment by the total WB student body than at other schools, Maryville being one. Playing for MHS is huge in many kids’ minds while growing up. I would not agree that every kid attending in Maryville has the opportunity to play football because the kids who go there are from rich families. Sure some are, but not most. The success of the program brings excitement and makes the field on Friday night's the place to be at any school. If WB can have more success, the students will pack the house and more kids will come out and buy into the system.

Back to football. WB needs and has needed a passer. Last year the team averaged about 38 yards during the season over 10 games. The year prior, L Wall and the team averaged just 85 YPG. WB needs to have much more success throwing the skin if they want to get pass the tough opponents and if they want to get to the 3rd round or further in the play-offs, there is no question a run only scheme won't get it done. Worse the Wing-T won’t do so well vs. faster defenses normally found on teams still alive late in the play-offs. If your QB is tired, it will only hurt the passing game is my opinion. At the 5A level a kid going both ways will be out of gas early in the 3rd qtr. Better to find a young kid who will grow into the spot that take a chance on getting your QB injured of fatigued. That's my opinion. Good Luck to WB this year.