Private Schools At Spring Fling

hoops

Magnet schools take applications from anyone that applies and they choose who they want from that. Magnet schools usually have a curriculm that is less traditional than a normal public school too. However anyone can apply to one no matter where they live. And I have heard that Mufreesboro or Rutherford County has open districts. Is that true???

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lazerus...point taken

But the gist of my point was that it is wrong for kids of a public high school to think that they can`t compete with a similar size private school. Likewise it is wrong for kids that go to a private school to be given the notion that they are so much better than a similar size public school that they should be in a different league.

Guest RHSTIGERS

I think public can compete with private every few years. Most public schools have a good couple of years then are down a couple of years. You made a comment in a previous post that your son choose not to go to a private school. What if your son and 8 other good athletes had choosen to go to the same private school. If you have 8 or 9 good athletes choose the same private school every year they will be good every year. The big problem I have with this is that they CHOOSE to go where they want. Not all of the kids playing in the TSSAA have a choice. They might be a good explanation for this qusetion but why do most private schools keep their enrollment to such little numbers and play in single A?

RHSTigers, I don't think that the private schools keep their enrollment low just for sports. Alot of the private schools, such as the one I attend, keep the enrollment limited because they don't have enough teachers or can't afford more, or they just don't have room for it. I'm sure that most private schools have a low number of student's simply because they CAN'T have more.

I know that in the 6th grade at CCS, the studenent enrollment is right around 88. (each year, a couple studnents leave and their spots, plus 9 or 10 are filled) CCS does not limit that number because they want to. There are not enough teacher positions to have any more than that number. If they did allow more student's in, the student teacher ratio would increase to about 25 or 30 to 1.

But I do agree with publics can compete with privates. I mean, prime examples in Chattanooga would be Lookout Valley and Whitwell. They played both CCS and Boyd-Buchanan really close games. A clutch hit would have put Whitwell ahead of Boyd in the region semifinals and they played a good game losing to CCS 2-1. Lookout Valley beat CCS 4-1 in the last game of the district season. They also only lost to Boyd 5-4 I believe. So it's not as if public schools are getting torn apart by the privates.

[Edited by batboy68 on 5/29/02 9:13A]

[Edited by batboy68 on 5/29/02 9:15A]

Guest RHSTIGERS

Thank you for the information. Do you understand my feelings how some private schools could have an advantage if they attract players from all over. What really gets me mad though is when others get on here and talk about the public school coaches not working hard enough to build a competitive team. Their might be some but not ours. Coach David Lane is one of the best coaches in the state. He has taken our team to higher level. He has been here for 8 or 9 years. The first few years he was getting his style of baseball injected into the players. The last 4 years have been impressive. He has led us to 3 state tournaments and to the sectional this year. He only had 2 seniors this year so they should or could be better next year. Good luck next year Coach Lane and thank you for choosing Rockwood.

[Edited by RHSTIGERS on 5/30/02 2:54P]

I know this is somewhat off the present subject that the past few posts have been, but I wanna say somethin anyway. As continuing from my last post to bush league.... I know he hasn't said anything since then, but it still frustrates me....

As I said in my earlier post, ccs hasn't had enough players to actually hold tryouts in the past 8 or so years I think. So saying we recruit is just an ignorant assumption that someone makes because they're mad we made it farther than their team.

The main reason I wanted to post this message is the fact that the ccs baseball team hasn't gone anywhere (other than this year) since 1986. We won our second district championship in school history this year, we also won our first region game/championship too, and so forth. Therefore, if we recruited, you might think we'd have gone this far more than just once in school history. It just bothers me, that because bushleague was mad about us going this far, he resorted to making a long ignorant post about how we should have to play in DII.

Therefore, I just felt like further explaining my feelings on the subject. And I'll say again, sometimes you should give credit where credit is due. Instead of just downplaying a teams success to the fact that they basically cheat to win.

[Edited by Bravos323 on 5/30/02 11:40P]

• 2 weeks later...

Bravos 323,

I never said you cheated. You merely have advantages that other places don't have. Where do all of the CCS players live? In St. Elmo? Within a 15 mile radius from the school? What about Boyd's players ... do they all live in Brainerd? Where do all of your players play summer ball? Probably for select teams like the Silverhawks or Colonels? Probably go to a lot of tournaments with good competition. Who do Sale Creek's kids play for in the summer? A dad who plays other "school teams" made up of players not picked up because their dad didn't know a select coach. Maybe you did not recruit one single player on your team ... but the playing field is not level when the pool your drawing from in limitless (no school zone). The thing that bothered me all spring is how the Boyd and CCS kids were on here talking trash because they beat up on community schools with a group of kids from all over Chattanooga and North Georgia. I realize that you barely had enough to field a team ... but it's quality, not quantity. If your starting position players and pitching rotation stay healthy and produce, does it really matter how many guys are on the bench?

P.S. Bravos, you are making an assumption that your team made it farther than mine. Who is my team anyway? Don't you guys debate at private schools? My arguement was not made because you beat me. Actually, not mad at all that CCS made it far ... just disappointed that you feel so good about winning when the level of competition is not even. I have heard many good things about Coach Visser and his program.

yet again, you're acting as if money produces talent. I agree, that we have a larger "pool" to draw from, but we also have a small number of students at the school to begin with. We try to stay small, therefore, it sort of defeats the purpose. You say we got on here and talked trash? Show me one post where a ccs player talked trash, or bragged about how they won. You're grouping people into stereotypes that don't even work, like "all ccs and boyd players got on here and talked trash." that may not be exactly what you said, but that's what you were implying. Boyd did that, we didn't. We talked on the field, and that's it.

Also, you say it's not quality, but quantity. So you're automatically assuming that, simply because we're a private school, that the few players that did come out were going to be of good quality. Yet another "ignorant assumption" as you would call it. We worked, and made ourselves good.

You know, like I said in an earlier post, I agree that private schools do have advantages, and summer ball definitely is one. This doesn't mean that public school players can't try out, or make their own team. Raising money is something that is quite possible among people, and that's something I've learned. Maybe a lot of those players just don't want to really try that hard to do so, so their excuse is that they're a public school player and they don't have a chance.

None of this really bothers me, except for you talking about what we say. Yet again, I tell you, we haven't talked trash on here. We didn't, and we won't. Who said we feel so good about beating up on "community schools?"

The simple fact of the matter is, our team plays with an equal level of competition in it's district, region, sectional, and state. We seldom beat schools badly that were in our same district, region, and so on. Look at those scores. Just look at our district scores, and then tell me that the level of competition isn't equal. You'll probably use scores like the ones against south pittsburg, who just lost a bunch of upper classmen a couple years earlier. Or Basin maybe.

Lastly, let me reiterate this- maybe you should give credit, in certain cases, where credit is due, instead of downplaying our success simply because we worked hard. You still can't just say "good job, well done on a good season." You just continually bad mouth us like we're a major league team playing a single a minor league team. Give me a break, find something new to complain about.

You really bother me bushleague. Not because we disagree, but simply because you won't even give ccs an ounce of credit. You seem to continually forget the fact that until this year, we hadn't won a district championship in 16 years, and had never won a region, sectional, or state tournament game. You'd think that with such a huge pool to draw from (one including the chattanooga area and north georgia) that we might have more of those nice things to put on the accomplishment list. For crying out loud, if you've got a problem, good for you, but maybe you're wrong in this area, relating to ccs. We don't talk trash, we play. It just feels so warm and fuzzy inside when you work so hard and finally go far, and the only person that has congratulating words just sits there and whines about how you should be playing schools that recruit, because of your "pool of selection."

BOO HOO... WAAAAA WAAAAAA WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA......

Find a new topic that requires tissues and a shoulder, because this one's getting a little overworked and I think I need to go open a new box of kleenex.

If you want, feel free to keep the rebuttal to yourself. Although I'm sure you won't, and you'll take what I previously said personally. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

[Edited by Bravos3232 on 6/10/02 12:13A]

Congratulations to Chattanooga Christian for an outstanding season in baseball. I know that Coach Visser is a good coach, you have good players, and that you worked real hard and deserve everything you got. I guess we will not agree on the points made on here, but if everyone agreed it wouldn't be interesting. In retrospect, maybe it was more Boyd doing the talking ... and you did put them out, so maybe you did your talking with your play. Sorry that I hit a nerve, but as a supporter of public schools, that do work hard and often feel like they are "spitting in the wind" when some of their better up and coming talent goes elsewhere (usually to a private school), it gets frustrating. Especially when these same private schools defeat the publics that don't have the same luxuries. I don't begrudge private schools. I attended a private college and roomed with a guy who attended a private high school. We are great friends still. I was only making a point that I don't feel these schools in single A should compete against each other to advance in the playoffs. Once again, Congratulations on a great year ... best wishes for success in the future ... sorry I upset you so ... thought this was a format for debate .... don't assume that when people debate, that it is sour grapes or that your team advanced farther than my team. I don't support any one team that either Boyd or CCS beat this year.