Smyrna @ MBA

skip216

TBRD, I'm surprised to hear your disappointment with the running game. I would have thought that would be one of MBA's strengths this year. Maybe it still will be, given time and reps.

My apologies for going off topic somewhat, but at the expense of starting a new thread amongst the growing number of threads on the Football Board, can anyone provide a quick recap of the MBA-Goodpasture scrimmage? I've been out of town for the past week, and while I see the Riverdale-MBA thread and this Smyrna-MBA thread, I don't see anything about Goodpasture.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TBRD, I'm surprised to hear your disappointment with the running game. I would have thought that would be one of MBA's strengths this year. Maybe it still will be, given time and reps.

I wouldn't be overly concerned about the running game yet. I was not impressed, but like I said, it's early and MBA wasn't showing much. Bailey's absence and the fact that we were playing a lot of guys certainly was a factor, as well.

Regarding the Goodpasture scrimmage, there is no thread and I have heard no details about it.

Anyone know when the next scrimmage is?

Re MBA/Goodpasture scrimmage....MBA 41 Goodpasture 13. Not to sound like a snob, but the MBA/Goodpasture scrimmage seemed to underscore the difference in how much more physical the Super 7 teams are than 2A teams. MBA just had many more big, strong boys who could run than Goodpasture. Goodpasture is just not in the same "league" as MBA, Riverdale and Smyrna. Having seen all of MBA's scrimmages I can tell you that both Smyrna and Riverdale are deeper than MBA; therefore, injuries to the front line players will hurt them less than MBA. The MBA 'ones' whipped the Smyrna 'ones' on the LOS. Smyrna was without Sonny Gray and appeared to want to "save" Wilkes, as they already know what they have in him. MBA didn't have Preston Bailey for any of these scrimmages as he tweaked a knee on the second series against R'dale. In the MBA/Riverdale scrimmage, it was a push with both number one offenses scoring twice. The R'dale 'ones' came out stronger than MBA, but the MBA 'ones' adjusted and gained the upper hand and finished impressively against the R'dale 'ones'. MBA was in much better condition, but it was the first scrimmage for both and both teams looked pretty ragged at times. However, the R'dale backups outscored the MBA backups 5 to 2. R'dale has some young runningbacks that will be very good next year and the year after. R'dale is very impressive from a size and speed standpoint. I think that R'dale will control the line of scrimmage in their game against Smyrna and beat the Bulldogs this season in the playoffs. Furthermore, MBA's coaching staff appeared to focus on the running game in all three scrimmages as the 'ones' didn't attempt many passes, at all. It seemed like the play calling was 95% run plays. I expect MBA to throw it around quite a bit this season as they have a talented senior QB who has a strong arm and who is very smart, and talent at receiver that they chose not to show in the scrimmages. The first two MBA games against Antioch and Independence (two quality opponents) will help MBA to be well prepared for its annual slug fest with Chattanooga Baylor, the third game of the season.

Re MBA/Goodpasture scrimmage....MBA 41 Goodpasture 13. Not to sound like a snob, but the MBA/Goodpasture scrimmage seemed to underscore the difference in how much more physical the Super 7 teams are than 2A teams. MBA just had many more big, strong boys who could run than Goodpasture. Goodpasture is just not in the same "league" as MBA, Riverdale and Smyrna. Having seen all of MBA's scrimmages I can tell you that both Smyrna and Riverdale are deeper than MBA; therefore, injuries to the front line players will hurt them less than MBA. The MBA 'ones' whipped the Smyrna 'ones' on the LOS. Smyrna was without Sonny Gray and appeared to want to "save" Wilkes, as they already know what they have in him. MBA didn't have Preston Bailey for any of these scrimmages as he tweaked a knee on the second series against R'dale. In the MBA/Riverdale scrimmage, it was a push with both number one offenses scoring twice. The R'dale 'ones' came out stronger than MBA, but the MBA 'ones' adjusted and gained the upper hand and finished impressively against the R'dale 'ones'. MBA was in much better condition, but it was the first scrimmage for both and both teams looked pretty ragged at times. However, the R'dale backups outscored the MBA backups 5 to 2. R'dale has some young runningbacks that will be very good next year and the year after. R'dale is very impressive from a size and speed standpoint. I think that R'dale will control the line of scrimmage in their game against Smyrna and beat the Bulldogs this season in the playoffs. Furthermore, MBA's coaching staff appeared to focus on the running game in all three scrimmages as the 'ones' didn't attempt many passes, at all. It seemed like the play calling was 95% run plays. I expect MBA to throw it around quite a bit this season as they have a talented senior QB who has a strong arm and who is very smart, and talent at receiver that they chose not to show in the scrimmages. The first two MBA games against Antioch and Independence (two quality opponents) will help MBA to be well prepared for its annual slug fest with Chattanooga Baylor, the third game of the season.

Where is the Baylor game?