Poor Powell

Shelia

All I can say is thank god for a much weaker non-region schedule. Everyone knew this would be a rebuilding year for the Panthers, and with the rezoning that is going to take place for 2008, it will be interesting to see where this program moves in the next couple of years. I am confident that things will turn around, but it might take a couple of years. Remember, this team was a powerhouse throughout the 90s, until about 1997 when the team missed the playoffs 3 out of 4 years. After that short stint of missing the playoffs, Powell rebuilt and has made the playoffs every year since 2001. Losing all of their players west of Clinton Hwy to Karns will affect this team in 2008, but they will also pick up players from the Merchants Drive area, so I'm more curious to see what happens to this program a year from now.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cannot believe someone actually compared 2-2A to 3-4A. Alcoa is the only team that could compete with 3-4A, and it would not be for very long. They could not take the banging every week. To compare CAK, Loudon, Sweetwater, and Rockwood to a team that year in and year out has played in the toughest league in Tn is completely Ignorant. That is sort of like what I hear from Scott Co. about playing in the toughest region in 3-3A. Several of their faithfuls think they could beat every team from every other region just because they are in a region with Catholic, Fulton, and AE.

Powell year in and year out has been a pretty good football team. They have played with Maryville, Central, Farragut, and other top area teams. I will say that Powell will be down this year, and it was a jamboree. If the two had played any other year Powell would have sent half of CAK's line to the infirmary. I don't even care for Powell that much, but none of those teams below Alcoa could play year in and year out with Powell or any other 3-4A team. NOT EVEN SOUTH-DOYLE, OR CLINTON.

I cannot believe someone actually compared 2-2A to 3-4A. Alcoa is the only team that could compete with 3-4A, and it would not be for very long. They could not take the banging every week. To compare CAK, Loudon, Sweetwater, and Rockwood to a team that year in and year out has played in the toughest league in Tn is completely Ignorant. That is sort of like what I hear from Scott Co. about playing in the toughest region in 3-3A. Several of their faithfuls think they could beat every team from every other region just because they are in a region with Catholic, Fulton, and AE.

Powell year in and year out has been a pretty good football team. They have played with Maryville, Central, Farragut, and other top area teams. I will say that Powell will be down this year, and it was a jamboree. If the two had played any other year Powell would have sent half of CAK's line to the infirmary. I don't even care for Powell that much, but none of those teams below Alcoa could play year in and year out with Powell or any other 3-4A team. NOT EVEN SOUTH-DOYLE, OR CLINTON.

You greatly underestimate CAK. I'll compare them to Webb i guess, anyway Webb played tough out of region opponents LIKE POWELL (beat them both times not on their "off years") and did very well including knocking off Knox West twice. CAK is just as good as Webb has been if not better. They beat many upper division teams in scrimages this summer including Bearden. I think CAK could easily compete with 3-4A teams not necessarily make playoffs every year but definitely be in the Powell Halls range of the region this year. Just wait until the 28th of Sept. when CAK plays Webb to see what I mean.

Clinton? Now your really pushing it. LOL

You greatly underestimate CAK. I'll compare them to Webb i guess, anyway Webb played tough out of region opponents LIKE POWELL (beat them both times not on their "off years") and did very well including knocking off Knox West twice. CAK is just as good as Webb has been if not better. They beat many upper division teams in scrimages this summer including Bearden. I think CAK could easily compete with 3-4A teams not necessarily make playoffs every year but definitely be in the Powell Halls range of the region this year. Just wait until the 28th of Sept. when CAK plays Webb to see what I mean.

Webb should never have beaten Powell. They played them the first game of the season each year and our big boys were not able to withstand the heat. Webb does have a good program but could notcompete in 4A either. Word is that Bradley will win with Young's seniors class this year but will be back to normal after that. Powell will be down for a couple of years. Maybe CAK would agree to play us in after next year?

Webb should never have beaten Powell. They played them the first game of the season each year and our big boys were not able to withstand the heat. Webb does have a good program but could notcompete in 4A either. Word is that Bradley will win with Young's seniors class this year but will be back to normal after that. Powell will be down for a couple of years. Maybe CAK would agree to play us in after next year?

If your boys weren't able to withstand the heat then that means Webb was the better team, that is not a worthy excuse at all. I think Webb has shown they could easily compete in 4A because of the wing-t that they run. And I'm curious why will they be "back to normal" when they have been winning normally for the past 5 years constant. They only problem is they can't get past Alcoa, but have played them just as well as any 4A team plays Maryville and Alcoa is just as good as Maryville. And if Powell will be down for a few years and you wouldn't play CAK maybe they're the ones who can't compete with 3-4A.....

If your boys weren't able to withstand the heat then that means Webb was the better team, that is not a worthy excuse at all. I think Webb has shown they could easily compete in 4A because of the wing-t that they run. And I'm curious why will they be "back to normal" when they have been winning normally for the past 5 years constant. They only problem is they can't get past Alcoa, but have played them just as well as any 4A team plays Maryville and Alcoa is just as good as Maryville. And if Powell will be down for a few years and you wouldn't play CAK maybe they're the ones who can't compete with 3-4A.....

Look forward to seeing mighty CAK take on Alcoa, Maryville,

Central, West, and maybe even lowly Powell in the next couple of years.

But I bet their schedule is MUCH weaker. They have won in the past but against who?

you're definitely wrong about the "big" boys not being able to stand the heat. if memory serves me correctly, powell's losses had less to do with blocking and tackling then it did with passing, throwing and carrying the ball into the inzone. you are right about one thing though. with the size and talent that powell has had over the past 6 years, webb should have never beat powell...but they did.

all criticism aside, best of luck to the panthers this year.

Best of luck to the panthers this year, it might get ugly. On another note, i think cak seems a little over confident. They haven't played webb in about 5 years for their own reasons and i dont think they have the right to start assuming anything about region 3-4a especially with their non-region schedule in the past. Webb beat halls 2 years in a row 14-0 in jamborees 2 years ago and last year, (i know just a jamboree). Webb beat West at west 2 years in a row. and beat powell 4 years in a row, so i think it is one thing to say that knox webb has earned respect in 3-4a but it is another to place cak ahead or beside knox webb, powell, and 3-4a as a whole, quite yet. congrats to the cak and webb on their wins in the jamboree, good luck to cak, webb, and powell

First of All, I wasn't saying that CAK, Loudon, Alcoa, Rockwood, Sweetwater would compete and win in 3-4A, I was simply saying that THIS year Powell would finish behind these teams if they were in 2-2A based solely on their performance against CAK in the jamboree. I dont know, maybe Powell had a down game or came in over confident, but from what i saw, this is what I think. I respect Powell and I know that in years past they have been a power house but this year it just doesn't seem like it.