Union City vs. Westview

viewalum07

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw Westview back in the spring against Obion County....They are big and fast...So,what's new??.....Union City and Westview have had some real barn-burners over the years...One of the biggest crowds ever to fill up War Memorial Stadium was a match-up of these two,both ranked in the Top 3 in 2A at the time...I had to park in what is now the Union City Elementary School parking lot across the street and down from the high school and I got there fairly early....It wasn't close last season with Westview winning 49-10 and by three TD's two years ago when UC made it all the way to The Boro...Coady loves to beat Union City and won't mind rubbing it in if he has a chance....The Westview-Union City rivalry,in my eyes,has become even nastier the UC-OC rivalry..These two teams don't like each other and for the most part the fans don't like each other....Westview was the last 2A team Union City has beaten,but that was the season Westview ended up 1-9.....You want to win every game and I know the coaches and players are preparing themselves to win the game,but it's gonna be tough.Very tough....I hate to pick against my school,but I'm going to pick Westview in this one....

For as long as people can remember UC and Westview have hungered every year to play each other. With Westview returning alot of key players, can UC pull out a win in Martin. Who ends up 1-0 at the end of the night Aug. 31?

You may not know this being a 07 Alum,but did you know that Union City hired a coach back in 1969 away from Martin??...It was Martin High School at the time and nick-named the Panthers...His name was Jim Graves....Union City,in 1971,ended what was then a state record 42 winning streak built up by Martin...It's ironic because Union City was the last team to beat Martin before the streak started,then ended it and Jim Graves was the coach at Martin when the streak started and was the coach at Union City when it ended.....

You may not know this being a 07 Alum,but did you know that Union City hired a coach back in 1969 away from Martin??...It was Martin High School at the time and nick-named the Panthers...His name was Jim Graves....Union City,in 1971,ended what was then a state record 42 winning streak built up by Martin...It's ironic because Union City was the last team to beat Martin before the streak started,then ended it and Jim Graves was the coach at Martin when the streak started and was the coach at Union City when it ended.....

I remember that team or those teams very well..I believe Martin tied the State record against Lake Co the year before with Lake Co driving with a chance to end the winning streak,only to have the Lake Co quarterback fumble the ball close to the goal line..If I'm not mistaken..U.C. snapped the record the 1st or 2nd game of the next year so if I remember it well..they did snap the winning streak but it was against a new team..not the star loaded teams from the previous year..Had they beat Martin the season before or late in the season when Martin may have been 7-0 or 8-0..then I believe it would have been special..But beating an entirely new team,other than breaking the winning streak wasn't as big as a deal ..Still big news though at the time..Wasn't the score about 12-0 that game....I believe it was the old Reelfoot conference back then!

I remember that team or those teams very well..I believe Martin tied the State record against Lake Co the year before with Lake Co driving with a chance to end the winning streak,only to have the Lake Co quarterback fumble the ball close to the goal line..If I'm not mistaken..U.C. snapped the record the 1st or 2nd game of the next year so if I remember it well..they did snap the winning streak but it was against a new team..not the star loaded teams from the previous year..Had they beat Martin the season before or late in the season when Martin may have been 7-0 or 8-0..then I believe it would have been special..But beating an entirely new team,other than breaking the winning streak wasn't as big as a deal ..Still big news though at the time..Wasn't the score about 12-0 that game....I believe it was the old Reelfoot conference back then!

Now bigster it matters not that Martin graduated a few players from the team that started the streak..They were still Martin and the streak was still 42 games...They didn't retire the streak with the graduated players... ...Come on not a big deal??..Tell that to a team this year if they were to beat Maryville.....Yes the score was 12-0 and the game opened up the 1971 season...Union City ended the 1970 season breaking another unbeaten streak...Clarksville North West came into the season finale 9-0 against the Tornadoes and Union City beat them 24-22....UC ended the 71 season 9-2 and beat Lexington 35-7 in the very first Civitan Bowl....