Whitehaven vs White Station

kwc

Also, responding to the person who said that 8-5a is weak, I seriously believe that these two teams alone would complete with the private schools with much success. MUS should not even be mentioned as competition with WHS, whitehaven as had MUS number in the last few years (especially in those BRIDGES games at the liberty bowl). CBHS, i will admit has been more consistant.

would whitehaven and white station compete with the likes of briarcrest, ecs and st. benedict?....or are you referring to the Super 7 teams that include CBHS, MUS, McCallie, Baylor, BA, MBA and Father Ryan? if its the latter as opposed to the former, im calling you crazy.

why you ask?...whitehaven obviously has a stable of receivers and a good qb (according to coacht posts), BUT the coach(es) at whitehaven are not willing to use that to their advantage. if you have better athletes than everyone else, use them....else youll probly be watching come november (playoff time). oh wait, thats been whitehaven for something like the past 5 years.

white station....not too much to say. they played covington in the bridges bowl this year, but WHY? that game being played made no sense whatsoever considering the other three matchups pitted private vs. public. and white station should love MUS. see theres this guy, major wright, whom spartan fans might have heard of because of the "turnaround" hes begun, and who also happened to coach at memphis university school before heading to white station.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

would whitehaven and white station compete with the likes of briarcrest, ecs and st. benedict?....or are you referring to the Super 7 teams that include CBHS, MUS, McCallie, Baylor, BA, MBA and Father Ryan? if its the latter as opposed to the former, im calling you crazy.

why you ask?...whitehaven obviously has a stable of receivers and a good qb (according to coacht posts), BUT the coach(es) at whitehaven are not willing to use that to their advantage. if you have better athletes than everyone else, use them....else youll probly be watching come november (playoff time). oh wait, thats been whitehaven for something like the past 5 years.

white station....not too much to say. they played covington in the bridges bowl this year, but WHY? that game being played made no sense whatsoever considering the other three matchups pitted private vs. public. and white station should love MUS. see theres this guy, major wright, whom spartan fans might have heard of because of the "turnaround" hes begun, and who also happened to coach at memphis university school before heading to white station.

Why Whitehaven and White Station don't play against the private schools in regular season games, I can't answer. The closest these two schools have come to competing against the private schools is 7 on 7 during the summer, and some scrimmage games in preseason. So obviously, they can't be totally judged as how well the public vs private would do in regular season games.

That being said, Whitehaven won the 7 on 7 competition at MUS late this past summer. That competition included Olive Branch (who just spanked MUS on Friday), MUS, & White Station. We were 1-1 against Whitehaven during this tournament, because we won the game that provided seeding, then lost the championship game. So we got a good taste of Whitehavens passing offense then.

White Station played ECS in a scrimmage that mimicked a game pretty close. We were very dominant in the scrimmage. We scrimmaged MUS, and we dominated them for one half, MUS had more control over the 2nd half. We also have competet with CBHS in 7 on 7, and various scrimmages.

My point is simple....if CBHS was in region 8-5a, I believe you would be competing for top spot in the league. But you would certainly have some competitive company from a couple of other schools each season. Currently, White Station and Whitehaven would be your biggest games. Maybe Houston would be in that mix. You would not go through the league undefeated.

Major Wright went to MUS, and he has close ties to the school. I'm not sure what your point is with that. He has had offers to rejoin the school to help coach football. He has declined, obviously. His dad, Larry Wright, also coached at White Station. They were pretty good when he was there, then pretty sorry when he left. Major came on board and season one was 0-10. But he got wins, and continued improvement each year. He doesn't recuit, doesn't put up with b/s. Players come in, follow his system, or go away. He also takes players that would have no shot playing in other programs, and turns them into assets for the team. He seems to be doing something right.

BTW...the Covington matchup, from what I was told, occurred because the Bridges people couldn't find a private school interested in playing White Station. I didn't get any details, but I guess CBHS/Melrose is a regular thing that they don't want to change, not sure about MUS/Ridgeway or St George/BTW referring to if W.S. coulda played in those games instead of Ridgeway/BTW/Melrose. But it didn't happen, and we played the team that was in front of us.

Spartanfan, I totally agree with your sentiment about not wanting to see anybody lose that game. I mean, it was 10-7 in a defensive battle and WS scores on a pretty interception and takes it to the house to make it 17-10. Then to see Whitehaven ANSWER by driving the field passing the ball the way they did and make it 17-14. Man ... that was awesome. But, I found myself on the sidelines wondering ... why not pass it like that all the time. WHS, obviously has more WR's then Rucker.

You know, we (WHS) have been in this situation before yet at the end of the season, we are on the outside looking in during the playoffs. But, like I said earlier ... I like our chances. I don't know what's going on with Germantown, but they are not playing like the Germantown of old. They lost to Arlington 21-7, who (Arlington) had their heads handed to them by Millington 47-0. They barely beat Bartlett 12-6, who I suspect to be marginal at best this year. Then they got blasted by Collierville 35-0. Kirby and Hamilton are still the doormats of 8-5A and Southwind isn't eligible for playoff consideration yet. That leaves WSH, WHS, Houston, Collierville, and Wooddale fighting for one of the four playoff spots. With coach Miller leaving Wooddale to start a football program at Southwind, and the highly recruited MLB leaving to play for Olive Branch; in my mind, the jury is still out on Wooddale. They barely beat East, 12-6, and there is all sorts of turmoil going on over at East. That leaves WSH, WHS, Houston, and Collierville. I think these four will represent the region. Now ... it's still early and things can change, but as of right now, that's how I see it. I don't know the seeding ... but I think those four teams make it in.

That's me taking a stab at it after WHS's third game of the year. We play Melrose next, and you guys play East. I'm going to use the WSH vs East game to gauge Wooddale. Melrose and WHS bot have played Mitchell, so you know which way I'm leaning. We will see.

By the way, did you take photo's of the WHS/WSH game? And if you did, are you going to post the pics on Coacht? I'm just curious.

I've got roughly 250 photos of the game. But many end up being tossed due to the variety of problems with the photo. You aim at a subject, take the shot, just as a ref, or other player darts in between you and the intended subject....and there's plenty of other things that mess up a well intended photo. Not sure on posting them thing....haven't tried that.

I agree with your assesment of 8-5a. The problem with G'town is Southwind. They cut into the districting and consequently, G'town lost some players. There may be other issues, but that's a big one when you lose players. I think Woodale's problem is offense. Two reasons....they lost their head coach, and they lost some pretty potent offensive weapons from last year. I think they'll be tough to play, but I don't see them being a huge threat for the

8-5A championship. Houston looks to be getting after it pretty well so far. I'm not sold on C'ville yet. Beating a G'town team, that's trying to restructure, 35-0 is good, but really doesn't make much of a statement. So I'll hold my assessment of them for a bit.

I feel like WHS, WSHS, and Houston will be the cream of the crop this year, with C'ville and Woodale as maybe's.

Your team is is pretty hard to figure. I think it comes down to the coaching staff, because the talent is certainly there. I've never been a fan of a one dimensional team, so I wouldn't be a supporter of WH going out and passing on every down. I do think they should use their passing attck more. Especially in those crucial points in a game, like towards the end of a half when you can grab a quick score and take momentum into the locker room. WH had the ball with under a minute left at the end of the 1st half, and chose to down it two plays to kill the clock. What a fantastic opportunity to go into their hurry up mode and get a quick score...maybe a field goal, maybe a td. But I think they need to keep trying to run, and find success with it, to keep teams honest. If defenses have all week to prepare for a pass only offense, you'll run into trouble against teams with good defenses. BUt I do agree that the coaching staff doesn't seem to be utilizing their talent as well as they could. Your team is loaded with talent! Keep in mind that I hope we don't have to face WH in the playoffs, but I do think it will happen. If your coaches can keep the guys focused on each game, to play hard each time out, and not take a game off just because it isn't a big game, you should do fine. I just can't imagine WH missing playoffs this year.

In reference to the comment above, I agree that the opening of Southwind could have an ill effect on Germantown football. In fact, I think there was a possible similar effect ( to some degree at least ) when Houston opened. Of course Germantown has been packed to the rafters for years as far as kids going to school there, so obviously the additions of Houston and southwind were absolutely necessary

In reference to the comment above, I agree that the opening of Southwind could have an ill effect on Germantown football. In fact, I think there was a possible similar effect ( to some degree at least ) when Houston opened. Of course Germantown has been packed to the rafters for years as far as kids going to school there, so obviously the additions of Houston and southwind were absolutely necessary

Yes, the school population did require the additional schools. G'town football took a hit when Houston opened up, and they managed to recover. I suspect they will find a way to regroup from Southwind opening also. Assuming they keep up a good program, coachin, equipment, etc, they should come around pretty quickly.

I've got roughly 250 photos of the game. But many end up being tossed due to the variety of problems with the photo. You aim at a subject, take the shot, just as a ref, or other player darts in between you and the intended subject....and there's plenty of other things that mess up a well intended photo. Not sure on posting them thing....haven't tried that.

I agree with your assesment of 8-5a. The problem with G'town is Southwind. They cut into the districting and consequently, G'town lost some players. There may be other issues, but that's a big one when you lose players. I think Woodale's problem is offense. Two reasons....they lost their head coach, and they lost some pretty potent offensive weapons from last year. I think they'll be tough to play, but I don't see them being a huge threat for the

8-5A championship. Houston looks to be getting after it pretty well so far. I'm not sold on C'ville yet. Beating a G'town team, that's trying to restructure, 35-0 is good, but really doesn't make much of a statement. So I'll hold my assessment of them for a bit.

I feel like WHS, WSHS, and Houston will be the cream of the crop this year, with C'ville and Woodale as maybe's.

Your team is is pretty hard to figure. I think it comes down to the coaching staff, because the talent is certainly there. I've never been a fan of a one dimensional team, so I wouldn't be a supporter of WH going out and passing on every down. I do think they should use their passing attck more. Especially in those crucial points in a game, like towards the end of a half when you can grab a quick score and take momentum into the locker room. WH had the ball with under a minute left at the end of the 1st half, and chose to down it two plays to kill the clock. What a fantastic opportunity to go into their hurry up mode and get a quick score...maybe a field goal, maybe a td. But I think they need to keep trying to run, and find success with it, to keep teams honest. If defenses have all week to prepare for a pass only offense, you'll run into trouble against teams with good defenses. BUt I do agree that the coaching staff doesn't seem to be utilizing their talent as well as they could. Your team is loaded with talent! Keep in mind that I hope we don't have to face WH in the playoffs, but I do think it will happen. If your coaches can keep the guys focused on each game, to play hard each time out, and not take a game off just because it isn't a big game, you should do fine. I just can't imagine WH missing playoffs this year.

Spartansfan:

It would be really great if you could post the WHS/WSH pics on Coacht, even the bad ones. We need a City of Memphis game in the photo gallery. I'm sure you got some excellent shots as well.

I know one of the coaches at Southwind personally and he told me that they received some of Germantown's population. They are like Arlington, in the sense that they have Sophmores and Freshman. Coach Miller isn't trying to play an easy schedule though ... they are playing some pretty tough teams. Kudos to Southwind for steping up. They will eventually be playing in 8-5A when it is all said and done, no need trying to hide ... take your lumps and get better. I don't think Germantown stays down for long. They may not make the playoffs this season, but they will get things turned around over there.

The one thing you can say about Collierville thus far; they haven't been scored upon. I know, I know I know. Their first win was a 37-0 blanking of Central ... who has been a bad team since ... well it seems like its been since Noah and the flood, but i'm sure it hasn't been that long ... has it? Then they blanked Germantown 35-0. The handwriting is on the wall concerning Germantown ... they aren't very good this year and it is probably due to the reasons you stated, but Collierville DID do what they were suppose to do if that is the case. If you are waiting for Collierville to play a quality team, then you will have to wait until they play their fourth game of the season, which is Whitehaven, because their next game is against Overton. Expect another 30 ish to nothing score victory for Collierville again. Then Collierville has three tough games back to back. They travel to Whitehaven, then host Millington, then travel to Houston. You should be able to get a grasp of how good they are from those three games. I like our chances in that game because we will have faced Fairley, Mitchell, White Station, and Melrose before we play them. They will have faced Central, Germantown, and Overton ... and Germantown isn't good this year.

I don't want Whitehaven to abandon the run. That's what we do. We have always been a team with the ability to run the ball. I do want them to take advantage of their passing game a little more. Think ... more University of Texas Tech or the Steve Spurrier coached Florida Gators and less University of Tennessee with your offensive philosophy. Maybe 60/40 pass to run ratio. Looking at the stats of the game ... Hightower carried the ball 18 times for 61 yards. He wasn't the only one to carry the ball. I know the FB had some carries and the QB as well. I listened to the 1st half on the radio so I kinda have a feel for what they did even though I wasn't there to witness the first half personally. I'm going to assume they had around 25 run plays totally. Garrick Jones was 11-25-161-1 (44% completion percentage ... that has to improve, but it was against a very good 'D') in the game. So, the play calling was most nearly 50/50 pass to run, which is good, especially in high school. So ... I may be nit-picking ... but I felt, just by watching 2nd half, that WHS could have passed more and been successful. Marcus Hightower dropping the easy swing pass didn't help pursuade the coach to call passing plays though, LOL! Oh well.

Spartansfan:

It would be really great if you could post the WHS/WSH pics on Coacht, even the bad ones. We need a City of Memphis game in the photo gallery. I'm sure you got some excellent shots as well.

I know one of the coaches at Southwind personally and he told me that they received some of Germantown's population. They are like Arlington, in the sense that they have Sophmores and Freshman. Coach Miller isn't trying to play an easy schedule though ... they are playing some pretty tough teams. Kudos to Southwind for steping up. They will eventually be playing in 8-5A when it is all said and done, no need trying to hide ... take your lumps and get better. I don't think Germantown stays down for long. They may not make the playoffs this season, but they will get things turned around over there.

The one thing you can say about Collierville thus far; they haven't been scored upon. I know, I know I know. Their first win was a 37-0 blanking of Central ... who has been a bad team since ... well it seems like its been since Noah and the flood, but i'm sure it hasn't been that long ... has it? Then they blanked Germantown 35-0. The handwriting is on the wall concerning Germantown ... they aren't very good this year and it is probably due to the reasons you stated, but Collierville DID do what they were suppose to do if that is the case. If you are waiting for Collierville to play a quality team, then you will have to wait until they play their fourth game of the season, which is Whitehaven, because their next game is against Overton. Expect another 30 ish to nothing score victory for Collierville again. Then Collierville has three tough games back to back. They travel to Whitehaven, then host Millington, then travel to Houston. You should be able to get a grasp of how good they are from those three games. I like our chances in that game because we will have faced Fairley, Mitchell, White Station, and Melrose before we play them. They will have faced Central, Germantown, and Overton ... and Germantown isn't good this year.

I don't want Whitehaven to abandon the run. That's what we do. We have always been a team with the ability to run the ball. I do want them to take advantage of their passing game a little more. Think ... more University of Texas Tech or the Steve Spurrier coached Florida Gators and less University of Tennessee with your offensive philosophy. Maybe 60/40 pass to run ratio. Looking at the stats of the game ... Hightower carried the ball 18 times for 61 yards. He wasn't the only one to carry the ball. I know the FB had some carries and the QB as well. I listened to the 1st half on the radio so I kinda have a feel for what they did even though I wasn't there to witness the first half personally. I'm going to assume they had around 25 run plays totally. Garrick Jones was 11-25-161-1 (44% completion percentage ... that has to improve, but it was against a very good 'D') in the game. So, the play calling was most nearly 50/50 pass to run, which is good, especially in high school. So ... I may be nit-picking ... but I felt, just by watching 2nd half, that WHS could have passed more and been successful. Marcus Hightower dropping the easy swing pass didn't help pursuade the coach to call passing plays though, LOL! Oh well.

Everything I'm hearing about Southwind leads me to believe they'll be pretty competitive soon. They get a good coach, scheduling quality teams, and with that combo, they'll attract players.

You're right about C'ville. They haven't played anyone tough yet, but have done what they should be doing. I do expect Whitehaven to get in the high 20's/low 30's on them. And I'd be surprised to see C'ville reach 20 themselves. Your defense is too fast.

That is a good point on the drops. When the coach is trying to determine his next play, he's going to have that in the back of his mind, wondering if his receivers will come up with the pass. Your receivers have the size and speed, your QB has the ability to get the ball their way. They just need to finish the play. Jone's percentage would have been up, possibly mid 50's, if his receivers had caught some very catchable passes that were dropped.

Everything I'm hearing about Southwind leads me to believe they'll be pretty competitive soon. They get a good coach, scheduling quality teams, and with that combo, they'll attract players.

You're right about C'ville. They haven't played anyone tough yet, but have done what they should be doing. I do expect Whitehaven to get in the high 20's/low 30's on them. And I'd be surprised to see C'ville reach 20 themselves. Your defense is too fast.

That is a good point on the drops. When the coach is trying to determine his next play, he's going to have that in the back of his mind, wondering if his receivers will come up with the pass. Your receivers have the size and speed, your QB has the ability to get the ball their way. They just need to finish the play. Jone's percentage would have been up, possibly mid 50's, if his receivers had caught some very catchable passes that were dropped.

I think Southwind will be pretty good in a couple of years as well. He (Coach Miller) turned around Wooddale, which I think is harder then starting a program for the simple reason, you have to CHANGE the way people think who have been use to losing verses starting a new system from scratch. Different mind set altogether.

We agree, Collirville hasn't faced quality opposition, and won't this week either.

I didn't want to bring up the dropped passes because it could have come scross as sour grapes or something. WSH won that game, dropped passes or not. The winning team executes. When I said that WHS would have to correct the problem, I was refering to the dropped passes and not Garricks accuracy. He hit his guys in the hands. Some drops were contested passes, others were wide-open drops. The kind that drives a coach and the fans batty!

Oh well, on to Merlose for WHS and East for WSH. Much success to the Spartans and I hope we see you guys again in the playoffs.

P.S.

Try to post those pics on Coacht if you can.