Best Team Ever

hamlet7478

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

......"I have personally seen all these teams play and familiar with the players so I hope i have done the debate some justice and added some facts that are helpful to such a fun topic.

see ya

laban "

W O W ! How did you just join yesterday. You may need to confer with MJUHB. I have to agree with everything you said and add just one more tidbit, St. Agnes 2006 was ranked # 3 in the Nation as well. Five of the 8 seniors play DI and the other 3 chose not to pursue soccer in college.

2005 JPII Team undefeated, State Champs, National Champs. There was NO ONE who achieved more than this team!!! PERIOD

......"I have personally seen all these teams play and familiar with the players so I hope i have done the debate some justice and added some facts that are helpful to such a fun topic.see yalaban "W O W ! How did you just join yesterday. You may need to confer with MJUHB. I have to agree with everything you said and add just one more tidbit, St. Agnes 2006 was ranked # 3 in the Nation as well. Five of the 8 seniors play DI and the other 3 chose not to pursue soccer in college.

In 2005 JPII finished the season ranked #1

A quick history of great teams since 1985. Two Era's really. 1985-1993. 1994- present.

ive seen girls high school soccer since 1987-88 when my high school sweetheart was a Sr. at Notre Dame High school in chattanooga. At that time Franklin High had won the first 3 sanctioned state championships and we beat them that year 1-0. Franklin then won it every year through 1993. The best Franklin High School team during that era was the 1992 team. Jenger and Jennifer Burchett were seniors. That team traveled to Ohio and Maryland and beat everyone they played. Won state and lost 1 game maybe to Germantown Red Devils (Cindy Parlow was a freshman at the school).

in 93, Cindy Parlow was a Sophmore and was on a great Germantown team, but Lost to Notre Dame in the state Semi-Finals 1-0. Germantown was better but didnt get the win. Notre Dame then lost to Franklin 3-1 in state finals.

During the 1985-1993 era every school played everyone. There were no divisions. If you won state, then you truly had a remarkable team. I think Franklin, Germantown (both Germantowns were strong), Notre Dame, Hendersonville, Farragut, probably had the best teams with Franklin dominating that era with 9 state championships and Notre Dame 1. All of these schools had teams and players that could play today no problem. The best team during this ear. Franklin's '92 team. Loaded from top to bottom.

After the 1993 era, a lot of schools added programs and divisions were created. My opinion, Baylor High School had a team I believe in 98 or 99 that was just loaded with top level travel players and led my Alison Mitchel (clemson). They won several state championships. That team was as good as anyone.

Other great teams during the (modern era). Ridgeway had 3 incredible players Jenille Newborn, Meagen Mattea, and the a national team pool player in (name escapes me). They played in A/AA at the time and wore everybody out. They also could play with any AAA school or DII school.

Baylor has dominated DII in the 2000's and those teams could play with any division.

JPII had a great team with Meagen Forrester and Grace Lawson and 8 seniors on their state championship team.

Fra had a nice state championship team couple years back.

Farragut had a great team not to win state couple years back with Katie Green.

Which leads me to the greatest team ever in High School history. To be the greatest I think certain criteria have to be met. I think you have to win your state championship in the year your claiming to be the greatest. I think you have to prove you can beat other teams from other divisions. and to some degree, I think you have to have some great named players. This is a team that not only scores a lot of goals, but shuts people out regardless of division. Therefore, with all due respect to the many great teams over the years, and I am sure I have forgotten to mention a few (i apologize upfront)....The greatest team in high school soccer history is

ST. AGNES OF 2006.

They were undefeated and gave up only one goal during the regular season. They beat everyone in there division as well as the top teams in other divisions like AAA state champion Colleirville and AAA quarterfinalist Franklin. St. Agnes had a National team pool player goalie in Kelly Dyer, DI players in a set of twins Molly and Meagen Kinsella and host of other really nice veteran players.

Greatest tournament of all time would be top eight. Subject to much fun debate.

Quarters:

St. Anes 2006 vs. Baylor '98 or 00

Franklin 92 vs. JPII 05

Ridgeway late 90's vs. FRA late 03

Germantown 93 vs. Farragut (katie greens team)

Semis

St. Agnes vs. Ridgway

Germantown vs. Franklin

Finals

St. Agnes vs. Frankin 92

Champion

St. Agnes in double overtime Penalty Kick shootout on the 10 kick Kelly Dyer saving the shot after both teams made the first 9 shots.

I am sure some of my dates are slightly off. IM doing this all from memory. Im sure i have left a great team out of the mix, but im pretty sure the Franklin '92 team and St. Agnes team are the two best ever from the early ear and the modern era based on the criteria of winning state, beating everyone they played in any division and having some great named players. I have personally seen all these teams play and familiar with the players so I hope i have done the debate some justice and added some facts that are helpful to such a fun topic.

see ya

laban

LABAN,

OUTSTANDING POST! Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge and perspectives.

2005 JPII Team undefeated, State Champs, National Champs. There was NO ONE who achieved more than this team!!! PERIODIn 2005 JPII finished the season ranked #1

KnightTime05--

I'm sympathetic to your position. Although I never saw the team play, I recall a Bearden parent exclaiming that the team was the best in TN that year, all divisions, "hands down".

KnightTime05--

I'm sympathetic to your position. Although I never saw the team play, I recall a Bearden parent exclaiming that the team was the best in TN that year, all divisions, "hands down".

They were pretty special. I would just like to know has any other team EVER in Tennessee gone undefeated, won the State Championship and finished # 1 in the nation??

Excellent post Laban. Just a little bias regarding the Franklin squad pick...LOL. I agree with the pick of St. Agnes, based upon their results. To allow 1 goal through and entire season is mind boggling. While they may not have played a devastating schedule every game, they had to play within their division and outside that they played some very challenging teams.

I think it is very difficult to compare the teams of 92 and back with todays teams, due to the increased parity across the state. Back in those days 15 years ago there were a lot fewer girls playing club soccer from the age of 9 till seniors in High school. Now it is commonplace in the top programs. So that makes it much more difficult to finish the season undefeated. Now you have to bring your A game every game to win. Did the 2005 JPII team go undefeated? I don't know.

With respect to national and regional rankings, I think they are very flawed, nice but flawed, because all states do not play during the same season.

With respect to national and regional rankings, I think they are very flawed, nice but flawed, because all states do not play during the same season.

I would still gladly accept the honor, especially since there is no other way to do it unless you force all teams to play in the same season (which isn't going to happen).

I would still gladly accept the honor, especially since there is no other way to do it unless you force all teams to play in the same season (which isn't going to happen).

I understand, but honor is the correct word, because it is an honorary title. There is no tournament, there is no way to compare the teams because they don't play the same teams to compare results, everyone doesn't play in the same season.

Having said that, it is a very nice thing to be able to be National Champions. At the very least it signifies an truly outstanding team effort.

Excellent post Laban. Just a little bias regarding the Franklin squad pick...LOL. I agree with the pick of St. Agnes, based upon their results. To allow 1 goal through and entire season is mind boggling. While they may not have played a devastating schedule every game, they had to play within their division and outside that they played some very challenging teams.

I think it is very difficult to compare the teams of 92 and back with todays teams, due to the increased parity across the state. Back in those days 15 years ago there were a lot fewer girls playing club soccer from the age of 9 till seniors in High school. Now it is commonplace in the top programs. So that makes it much more difficult to finish the season undefeated. Now you have to bring your A game every game to win. Did the 2005 JPII team go undefeated? I don't know.

Yes the 2005 JPII team did go undefeated?