Chuckey Doak: East Tennessee

woodeng

Having recently visited the University High Jamboree last month and watching many top teams such as Faragut etc, I stumbled across a small town team, Chuckey Doak. I believe they have no club players and made the A/AA state tournamnet two years ago. They played some great soccer and played it the right way! Has anybody seen these play in the last two years? What do you think?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having recently visited the University High Jamboree last month and watching many top teams such as Faragut etc, I stumbled across a small town team, Chuckey Doak. I believe they have no club players and made the A/AA state tournament two years ago. They played some great soccer and played it the right way! Has anybody seen these play in the last two years? What do you think?

Other than the fact that they lost to CAK (the eventual State Champions in A/AA) last year, I don??™t know much about them specifically.

For most teams, having some (or a bunch) of club players is a necessity to advance far through post season. That any team has made it out or district and regions with zero club plays speaks to their heart and general overall athleticism. Also, not being a club player doesn't mean that you don't have the skills to be a club player. In some cases, it might mean lack of opportunity, lack of funds, etc. Having said that, it can be an uphill battle for somebody who only plays soccer a few months a year to play against people who play almost year-round.

Cudos to a team with a very unique name...

Having recently visited the University High Jamboree last month and watching many top teams such as Faragut etc, I stumbled across a small town team, Chuckey Doak. I believe they have no club players and made the A/AA state tournamnet two years ago. They played some great soccer and played it the right way! Has anybody seen these play in the last two years? What do you think?

I'm assuming "woodeng" who joined CoachT today is a Chuckey Doak fan or player... but I'll bite. Chuckey-Doak is the 2nd largest AA sized school located in Greene County (Greeneville is the largest but plays up to AAA) approx 3 miles from Greeneville. Actually several of the girls played on Greeneville Galaxy (Tiffany Brown from last year; Dingus and Adams on the current team to name a few). All their players have had the opportunity to play on the several Galaxy teams. I'm not exactly sure what "played it the right way" means (actually I do - look up some of the posts from the 2005 States-semi game against FRA to find out) but would love to hear woodeng's explanation. My feeling is they are flying high after beating winless South Greene 7-0 Tuesday night.

I'm assuming "woodeng" who joined CoachT today is a Chuckey Doak fan or player... but I'll bite. Chuckey-Doak is the 2nd largest AA sized school located in Greene County (Greeneville is the largest but plays up to AAA) approx 3 miles from Greeneville. Actually several of the girls played on Greeneville Galaxy (Tiffany Brown from last year; Dingus and Adams on the current team to name a few). All their players have had the opportunity to play on the several Galaxy teams. I'm not exactly sure what "played it the right way" means (actually I do - look up some of the posts from the 2005 States-semi game against FRA to find out) but would love to hear woodeng's explanation. My feeling is they are flying high after beating winless South Greene 7-0 Tuesday night.

To soccer67: Well, im neither a fan or a player of Chuckey Doak. Im actually a UEFA B coach (i dont know the american equvilant), but its the highest coaching qual you can gain without being a successful ex professional player . They play an apporpriate formation, ie, 4-4-2 (not the W - M, which I also saw), they seemed to understand defensive tactics (how to play a correct sweeper system, not standing on their 18 yard box), and used width appropirately and were direct in 1v1 situations. Was just a sweeping statement, but thanks for the information.

PS: Id be happy to offer my coaching help if you require on the right way to coach soccer!

To soccer67: Well, im neither a fan or a player of Chuckey Doak. Im actually a UEFA B coach (i dont know the american equvilant), but its the highest coaching qual you can gain without being a successful ex professional player . They play an apporpriate formation, ie, 4-4-2 (not the W - M, which I also saw), they seemed to understand defensive tactics (how to play a correct sweeper system, not standing on their 18 yard box), and used width appropirately and were direct in 1v1 situations. Was just a sweeping statement, but thanks for the information.

PS: Id be happy to offer my coaching help if you require on the right way to coach soccer!

So let me get this straight; you went to a pre-season jamboree which included teams like Farragut and Oak Ridge and came away thinking Chuckey Doak was the team which demonstrated to all the others the right way to play soccer. Is that what you are saying? If so, I respectfully decline your offer of coaching help.

So let me get this straight; you went to a pre-season jamboree which included teams like Farragut and Oak Ridge and came away thinking Chuckey Doak was the team which demonstrated to all the others the right way to play soccer. Is that what you are saying?

Now now! I mentioned them because they were a small team. I never at any time stated they were the best, or that the your "mentioned teams" didnt play like that! I was replying to your comment about "playing the game the right way", as it came across badly.

I'll come to the rescue of "woodeng" to at least offer that it is nice to see smaller teams from areas not completely stocked with "club players" do well and play soccer "the right way". I'll also bet the right way he was refering to doens't include "Boom Ball/Long Ball Soccer''. A team that isn't executing small sided triangle "brazialian style play" is generally just playing long ball with a couple of cherry pickers up top. Just tune into any good soccer and it's not long ball. Now, is Chuckey Doak playing a true flatback 4--I do not know because I haven't seen them play, but at least this guy "woodeng" knows what he is talking about. Teams such as Farragut, Bearden,Collierville, and Brentwood will always be the powerhouses because of the number of club players. For the most part these girls have known how to play soccer for years before they even get to high school. It says a lot for this Chuckey Doak coach that he actually is teaching the girls the "right way".

I'll come to the rescue of "woodeng" to at least offer that it is nice to see smaller teams from areas not completely stocked with "club players" do well and play soccer "the right way". I'll also bet the right way he was refering to doens't include "Boom Ball/Long Ball Soccer''. A team that isn't executing small sided triangle "brazialian style play" is generally just playing long ball with a couple of cherry pickers up top. Just tune into any good soccer and it's not long ball. Now, is Chuckey Doak playing a true flatback 4--I do not know because I haven't seen them play, but at least this guy "woodeng" knows what he is talking about. Teams such as Farragut, Bearden,Collierville, and Brentwood will always be the powerhouses because of the number of club players. For the most part these girls have known how to play soccer for years before they even get to high school. It says a lot for this Chuckey Doak coach that he actually is teaching the girls the "right way".

Well said, Regal! I was thinking of a similiar response. Some people are sooo touchy....

So let me get this straight; you went to a pre-season jamboree which included teams like Farragut and Oak Ridge and came away thinking Chuckey Doak was the team which demonstrated to all the others the right way to play soccer. Is that what you are saying? If so, I respectfully decline your offer of coaching help.

Soccer67 That post was not even fair to Woodeng. He never once said the other teams he watched did or dind't play soccer "the right way". To imply the man doesn't know what he is looking at or may not know how to coach is incredulous. He was simply noting that a school, not known for soccer, could have the understanding of the game without having some club influence. I think it's great and Chuckey Doak fans should take that as a compliment. He asked for some input, as I read it, about this team which would let him know the teams background.

Anyone know who coaches Chuckey Doak? They aren't listed on Eurosport. They are really close to Tusculum college, so I would imagine they could get some pretty good coaching if they pursued that avenue.

WoodenG, I hope that you are coaching somewhere. To have the license that you have and not coach would be a travesty! Believe me when I say I understand how hard it is to get those licenses (I am pursuing my National License this winter which is through the NSCAA and it is long and expensive and I believe is the equivalent to a UEFA C). Are you doing any club or high school coaching? And if you don't mind saying, are you located around Knoxville?