South Pittsburg's 3 Stata Championship Teams

OLD PIRATE

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well Op I was only 3 when we won in 69, but after watching all the Teams play, Without a doubt the 94 Team owns that title...they had leaders, they were all like brothers (black and white) they had a great QB in perry. A running back that had over 4,500 yards rushing in 2 years and 87 TD's and thats averaging 2qrt's and 1 drive in the 3rd and he sat the rest of the game and not playing 1 game for suspinsion.. they could score at any given momemt. when they were recieving the ball on kick off it was a pleasure watching them set up a wall for macho taking it to the house... we had the BEST pair of linebackers in the history of spitt with the "killer B's" the Banks brother's they hit so hard i know of several people went to the hospital after the games..This team had resect for each other and the Game.. this im trying to remember but i believe 8 players off that team went somewhere to college... and not to mention trying to pass against this team. couldnt be done.. oh and did i mention the kicker? ddint he finish 2nd in the "NATION" behind a guy in texas with extra point's...

well Op I was only 3 when we won in 69, but after watching all the Teams play, Without a doubt the 94 Team owns that title...they had leaders, they were all like brothers (black and white) they had a great QB in perry. A running back that had over 4,500 yards rushing in 2 years and 87 TD's and thats averaging 2qrt's and 1 drive in the 3rd and he sat the rest of the game and not playing 1 game for suspinsion.. they could score at any given momemt. when they were recieving the ball on kick off it was a pleasure watching them set up a wall for macho taking it to the house... we had the BEST pair of linebackers in the history of spitt with the "killer B's" the Banks brother's they hit so hard i know of several people went to the hospital after the games..This team had resect for each other and the Game.. this im trying to remember but i believe 8 players off that team went somewhere to college... and not to mention trying to pass against this team. couldnt be done.. oh and did i mention the kicker? ddint he finish 2nd in the "NATION" behind a guy in texas with extra point's...

Old Pirate says, Geno your remarks have merit for the 94 team. OP is not familar with many/any players playing in college. Perry & Corey Tipton went for a few days after graduation and Brandon Chance also a junior played at Maryville. Hopefully, we will hear from some old pirates that can remember the 69 team as well. OP rembers the 63 team that was very good but before classifications.

OP remembers the 69 team as being young. The starters consisted of Coach Hale freshman T, Donald Blansett soph FB.Terry Everett soph G, Willis Mayfield soph G. Starting seniors, "the living legend" Jimmy (Wig) Wigfall TB, Steve Smith WB, Bobby Ambrester T and several juniors. As for players there NEVER has been a player who did more things than Wigfall.

Old Pirate says, Geno your remarks have merit for the 94 team. OP is not familar with many/any players playing in college. Perry & Corey Tipton went for a few days after graduation and Brandon Chance also a junior played at Maryville. Hopefully, we will hear from some old pirates that can remember the 69 team as well. OP rembers the 63 team that was very good but before classifications.

OP remembers the 69 team as being young. The starters consisted of Coach Hale freshman T, Donald Blansett soph FB.Terry Everett soph G, Willis Mayfield soph G. Starting seniors, "the living legend" Jimmy (Wig) Wigfall TB, Steve Smith WB, Bobby Ambrester T and several juniors. As for players there NEVER has been a player who did more things than Wigfall.

Perry, corey, Brandon chance , brandon price, Jerrid cardin, Macho green, both Banks boys went to college.. not sure how long they stayed .. as i call it "the curse of the valley"

Well Ill date myself by answering this thread.

1969 Team without a doubt. Reasons are simple.....Jimmy Wigfall, team69, et al. "Panther quick and leather tough". Was even willing to play the championship game "nikked" if thats what it took (so i heard). Is the old pirate who make that quote still around?

Old Pirate says yep he works for TVA and supports the Pirates.

Well Ill date myself by answering this thread.

1969 Team without a doubt. Reasons are simple.....Jimmy Wigfall, team69, et al. "Panther quick and leather tough". Was even willing to play the championship game "nikked" if thats what it took (so i heard). Is the old pirate who make that quote still around?

Yep i had breakfast a few weeks ago with him at awful house

The 99 team is the ONLY team to go 15-0. You have to put them at the top of the list.

Old Pirate says 15-0 is impressive, but that along is not enough to make them the top dog. The 69 team had to play a wider range of schools with only 3 classifications. OP is reluctant to say this, but the game is more about money now with more games. Attempts to even the playing field allowing more teams to make the playoffs has weakened the field as a hole. "Way to many muffins now"

OP says, In the day, there were NO bad teams making the playoffs like today. Surely, everyone knows the playoff format of today allows bad/weak teams. The older teams faced stiffer competion "every" week.

Team69 is surely proud of his old pirates as well as every old pirate should be.

Old Pirate says

"IF YOUR NOT THE LEAD DOG THE VIEW NEVER CHANGES"

Old Pirate says 15-0 is impressive, but that along is not enough to make them the top dog. The 69 team had to play a wider range of schools with only 3 classifications. OP is reluctant to say this, but the game is more about money now with more games. Attempts to even the playing field allowing more teams to make the playoffs has weakened the field as a hole. "Way to many muffins now"

OP says, In the day, there were NO bad teams making the playoffs like today. Surely, everyone knows the playoff format of today allows bad/weak teams. The older teams faced stiffer competion "every" week.

Team69 is surely proud of his old pirates as well as every old pirate should be.

Old Pirate says

"IF YOUR NOT THE LEAD DOG THE VIEW NEVER CHANGES"

I 100% agree.. no way the 99 Team could have played with the teams like Rockwood, Stevenson, Bridgeport, Alcoa, sweetwater.. to name a few. Them was some rough teams. If you didnt deserve to play in the state tourney.. you sat at home. period... BUT im sure all the young players think 94 or 99 the Old Pirates say 69... the newer teams as i said it would be like playing Gordonsville every friday night back in the day...