South Pittsburg's 3 Stata Championship Teams

OLD PIRATE

Jimmy Layne never played wingback, his cousin Keith Layne did. In the 82 season Jimmy played tight end with Anthony Gamble for that year.

David Wyatt was a very good fullback and linebacker.

Jimmy Layne started at Wing Back and I remember seeing him play at blocking back when Ferrel got hurt against Whiwuhl. He did pretty good. There was another pretty good wing back on the 85 team also.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're right on most of these comments....Jimmy was not a fast BB but was tough, didn't care to take on the block alone and could throw if he had to, some better than him, yeah, but not much tougher, Squench was tough and wasn't afraid of anyone may have been the toughest freshman when i was a senior i have seen.

69 however did start great football years at sphs, but you seem to forget that in the lower '80 years, south pittsburg was full of players that were full of themselves and booze and drugs, it wasn't until the seniors that included grider, jones, layne, jacobs, etc, that helped changed that around.

Old Pirate says David Wyatt was tough and Jimmy Layne probably went along for the wide on the play you're speaking of, Squinch,didn't need help. SP had numerous BBs better than JL, he was average.

OP says the 69 team set the standard for excellance @ SP. Every team after the 69 team dreamed of becoming the next champion. Now the youngons remember the later teams and are inspired by what they accomplished.

OP says, "If you ain't the lead dog... the scenery never changes"

Thanks for your call of apology. Like I said, if the coaches feel this way, that's them and not me.

Good Luck to South Pittsburg and the coaches.

I'm going to state this only once. This is Jimmy Layne. I never post on this site but I was made aware of your comments and I would appreciate it pirate4life, if you would stop putting my name in your stupid comments. If you have a problem with me then address it with me, not on a board where you evidently have nothing else to do. Who cares what kind of ball player I was. I played for the love of the sport.

As for your comments about Pratt and Grider, if it's true, that's their problem. They know how to get in touch with me if they have an issue with me. We have never in the past had a issue, so I'm not sure why we would now. As for the other coaches including Pratt and Grider, I have all the upmost respect for them. I spent the last 6 years of my life working and assisiting everyone from Grider, Pratt to Stone in the Junior High program. It would be a disappointment to me if they do feel this way, but like I said, that's them and not me.

I know that some of the coaches monitor this forum and I would say at this point, that their looking at you as a complete idiot. I would speak for them on this, that they probably don't appreciate you pulling them into something that even may or may not be true. If it is , then so be it.

But leave me out of your junk!

there definitely wont ever be a 4th state championship

Old Pirate says, guys, looky here we have a kitty cat on this thread. SP may never win another state championship,

BUT the kitty cats will never win the 1st one. SP has 3 with expectations of a couple more in the coming years. Do the kitty cats have expectations that exceed the possablity of making an advance in the playoffs?

Old Pirates know these cats can not talk intelligently about a state championship.

I'm going to state this only once. This is Jimmy Layne. I never post on this site but I was made aware of your comments and I would appreciate it pirate4life, if you would stop putting my name in your stupid comments. If you have a problem with me then address it with me, not on a board where you evidently have nothing else to do. Who cares what kind of ball player I was. I played for the love of the sport.

As for your comments about Pratt and Grider, if it's true, that's their problem. They know how to get in touch with me if they have an issue with me. We have never in the past had a issue, so I'm not sure why we would now. As for the other coaches including Pratt and Grider, I have all the upmost respect for them. I spent the last 6 years of my life working and assisiting everyone from Grider, Pratt to Stone in the Junior High program. It would be a disappointment to me if they do feel this way, but like I said, that's them and not me.

I know that some of the coaches monitor this forum and I would say at this point, that their looking at you as a complete idiot. I would speak for them on this, that they probably don't appreciate you pulling them into something that even may or may not be true. If it is , then so be it.

But leave me out of your junk!

Hey Jimmy whats up Brother. I dont now who that person is, But I have played BaseBall and Football with Jimmy all my life.. he was a great athlete period... one of the best pitcher's i have ever seen... was a good BB and that i know of never played tight end.. anyway, this is no place for personal junk. You know the old saying if you have nothing nice to say shut your trap....Sports is what it is and Jimmy was a good all around Ball player in my book. as a matter of fact I personaly know of a few Baseball records he set with me and the team we played on.

Squench was tough. But I have to disagree on Chubb, he was good, but not the best. At this time, i now question your football knowledge.

My Football knowledge?? did you ever play with Zalmer? did you ever see his stat's? until he got hurt he was up to break every record spitt had... and unless im mistaken and someone can ask Vic he would know more than i would.. Im pretty sure Zalmer outran willie Gault when he visited UT and Johnny major's..