Who wins Lewis Co. VS Bye week?

bumpngo

I don't blame you Don. I've seen your basketball team play!

It's tough to compare rural closed zone schools to the privates playing in the same division. No comparison. I applaud Lewis County for building a tradition with the hand that is dealt them. That is unlike any private school or open zoned public like Alcoa.

Still, a tougher non conference schedule wouldn't kill you. Most 5A schools like Columbia aren't going to drop down and play a 2A public very often, but there are plenty of 3A schools that would like Giles County, Marshall County, Cheatham, Creekwood or Sycamore that are not that far away. Strength of schedule will only help playoff bound teams later on down the road.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree we should not be playing Wayne County, there is absolutely zero in it for us. The other three out of region games I think I made a valid point.

Being privy to some of the informatuion over ther years as far as our scheduling, I assure you it is just not that easy to go out and pick up a Creekwood, a Giles County (who we did play for a while, a Sycamore.. most teams have 6-8 region games and usually a rival game or two. That leaves usually one or two free dates. Naturally these must coincide. Take Milan.. I know the two schools have talked but they have 7 region games, a rivalry game with Huntingdon, a game with Camden and then another West TN game. Most schools, unless just forced to, aren't going to drive 100+ miles for a game when they can get one in their own backyard.

There is a degree of fiscal responsibility involved with most public schools, especially small, underfunded, rural schools. School boards would definitely frown if you scheduled, say Pigeon Forge, instead of Wayne County. Lot of differance in bussing a team, equipment, etc 25 miles compared to 290.

Back to rivalry games, let's take Huntingdon for example. Great, great program.. great tradition.. former state champs a few years back. Thye also play down to two Class A opponents, Bruceton and McKenzie... which of course are about a 15 minute drive. It's accepted that these are "rivalry games" and nobody is saying anything about their schedule?? And this is no disrespect towards their program because it is first class all the way. Tell me the differance? Just wondering?

He did try and schedule Columbia, could not even get a bite. Also refused to scrimmage us. Also tried Milan but their schedule was full. Lawrence County dropped us a few years back and are not interested in another series. Mt. Pleasant was a semi-finalist last year, I would think that is good competition. I would hope he will drop Wayne County after next year because there is nothing to gain in beating them each year and maybe their goons would stay off our threads.

Four out of region games...

Mt. Pleasant: If you don't think this was going to be a competitve matchup before it took place then you are being less than truthful.

Wayne County: Old rivalry.. hope it ends forever.

Waverly: Playoff team from last year, were expected to be very competitve this year. I guess Coach Sharp should have known they were going to lose 13 players to injury in the first two weeks?

Ezell Harding: Private school, great tradition, Class AA Playoffs.. So??

Padding his stats? Most ridiculous allegation I have ever heard. He takes it from a lot of us all the time for his absolute propensity to "call off the dogs." 35-0 Friday night against Richland with 10:00 left in second quarter and starters are out for the rest of the game. Will not run the score up, even if the other team might just need it.

Resume builidng? HA HA As someone has said.. this is plain goofy, Bobby was born here, he played here, he moved back here in 1988 and I am sure he will be here when he retires.

In the 2 years before he came, we were 4-16... Maybe a lot of you don't remember those years? Maybe success simply breeds contempt? For some schools and their followers, success breeds jealousy.. you can't beat us on the field and all you can do is sit here and play the doofus with your ignorant commentary. Go bother someone else!

I would rather be playing in the second round of the playoffs every year than getting ready for basketball season, have a happy day!

Haney...BS will stay at LCHS....but the resume looks good for asst applying elsewhere. Also doesn't hurt BS statis.

Chucky...decline means less. Jusy like 2 years ago. They loss 4/5 games,but won district...still a decline from previous years .l Never said losing season....pay attention!

You have a happy day also!

I agree we should not be playing Wayne County, there is absolutely zero in it for us. The other three out of region games I think I made a valid point.

Being privy to some of the informatuion over ther years as far as our scheduling, I assure you it is just not that easy to go out and pick up a Creekwood, a Giles County (who we did play for a while, a Sycamore.. most teams have 6-8 region games and usually a rival game or two. That leaves usually one or two free dates. Naturally these must coincide. Take Milan.. I know the two schools have talked but they have 7 region games, a rivalry game with Huntingdon, a game with Camden and then another West TN game. Most schools, unless just forced to, aren't going to drive 100+ miles for a game when they can get one in their own backyard.

There is a degree of fiscal responsibility involved with most public schools, especially small, underfunded, rural schools. School boards would definitely frown if you scheduled, say Pigeon Forge, instead of Wayne County. Lot of differance in bussing a team, equipment, etc 25 miles compared to 290.

Back to rivalry games, let's take Huntingdon for example. Great, great program.. great tradition.. former state champs a few years back. Thye also play down to two Class A opponents, Bruceton and McKenzie... which of course are about a 15 minute drive. It's accepted that these are "rivalry games" and nobody is saying anything about their schedule?? And this is no disrespect towards their program because it is first class all the way. Tell me the differance? Just wondering?

There's not a difference scheduling wise. Bruceton, McKenzie = Mt. Pleasant and Wayne County.

I think what sticks in alot of folks craw is the chest thumping on this board about the prospects of going 10-0. Well, if you're playing in one of the weakest regions in 2A and your non conference schedule is all 1A teams, it rings kind of hollow. The flip side of that is that if Lewis County ever finds itself on the bubble in the new format, strength of schedule should hurt them. I hear what you're saying about non conference games, but I could almost guarantee that any of Region 5-2A would be willing. The ABC schools are having a tough time finding anyone that will play them outside of region. That would be a big draw at your gate and experience against a possible playoff opponent.

OHHH..........not true my donhaney friend!!! There are MANY who laugh and ridicule the Mustangs for choosing to play down against Bruceton Central and McKenzie!! Rivalries are wonderful for teams, fans, the community, and the student body provided the games are between evenly matched programs. Huntington........after beating Milan took a beating from Dyer County! Mckenzie put a smack down on Bruceton that same evening. Point being....the "Old 2A Power" ain't too powerful..........therefore.........many aren't too concerned THIS YEAR about them playing there 1A neighbors. Personally.........I know that they have a wonderful and old rivalry with Lexington.......who tends to be a fairly quality program every year. The Stangs will "choose" the years they play Lexington based on returning starters.......Lexington's prior record...........all the things that would give them the idea they can win! Question I guess then...........who determines the rivalry? It's only a good one if you can win it?

My donhaney friend.........I too agree that there is a major financial factor to football travel. However.......since when did THE PANTHERS become a small, rural, underfunded program? If Lewis County wanted to take their team to ALCOA, Dyer County, or even Fort Campbell, KY....there would be plenty of boosters to support and finance such an effort! School boards in my area play no role in team travel! Remember.....these programs aren't coming to you without a visit from you first (and sometimes it even takes a little $$$ to make sweeten the pot) Get your kids out of the same ol' communities...........there's alot to see across the Volunteer State!

There's not a difference scheduling wise. Bruceton, McKenzie = Mt. Pleasant and Wayne County.

I think what sticks in alot of folks craw is the chest thumping on this board about the prospects of going 10-0. Well, if you're playing in one of the weakest regions in 2A and your non conference schedule is all 1A teams, it rings kind of hollow. The flip side of that is that if Lewis County ever finds itself on the bubble in the new format, strength of schedule should hurt them. I hear what you're saying about non conference games, but I could almost guarantee that any of Region 5-2A would be willing. The ABC schools are having a tough time finding anyone that will play them outside of region. That would be a big draw at your gate and experience against a possible playoff opponent.

Have to disagree with you about the gate. LC will see this year, if they don't already know, Ezell will bring all of 25 fans to the game. That's the main reason MP dropped them, no money from the gate. Most of the other ABC schools aren't going to bring as many fans as MP and WC will to the games. Schools got to make money somewhere to help with costs.

I will say it is a great help to MP and WC to play LC but I don't think it helps LC much at all. If they would have had to go to a passing attack or at least had to try to use it in either game then you might say LC improved from those games. But they didn't so everyone knows that LC can't pass and will load up on them. It's the same thing people say about MP. Can't pass so just stop the run, and eventually it will happen wheather it's the 1'st round of the playoffs or 4th.

Have to disagree with you about the gate. LC will see this year, if they don't already know, Ezell will bring all of 25 fans to the game. That's the main reason MP dropped them, no money from the gate. Most of the other ABC schools aren't going to bring as many fans as MP and WC will to the games. Schools got to make money somewhere to help with costs.

I will say it is a great help to MP and WC to play LC but I don't think it helps LC much at all. If they would have had to go to a passing attack or at least had to try to use it in either game then you might say LC improved from those games. But they didn't so everyone knows that LC can't pass and will load up on them. It's the same thing people say about MP. Can't pass so just stop the run, and eventually it will happen wheather it's the 1'st round of the playoffs or 4th.

CPA and Goodpasture travel very well, but distance is a factor as well as the matchup. Ezell brought alot of fans to our place 2 years ago I believe, but we didn't take many to Loretto. It's a pretty long haul. Point taken though. It might not be the gate that a Mt. Pleasant or Wayne County would bring since they are the 1A school wanting to knock off the 2A neighbor and they're close. I can see that.

Any chest thumping usually comes from a a very few. The vast majority of us have been through plenty of 10-0 seasons and it's nothing to write home about anymore. Since I have covered the Panthers, I have witnessed 6 10-0 seasons so.......

As I stated earlier but will state again, we are not playing all Class 1-A schools although the two we are playing are exceptional 1-A teams (Mt. Pleasant and Wayne County) Waverly (AA playoffs last year) and Ezell Harding (AA school with great tradition) were added this year.

As for us going into a decline after this year, might be? I don't think it will have anything to do with the schedule though. I also doubt we will go into a decline but that's really not worthy of factual debate.

I can debate the merits of scheduling all anybody desires. If you have the time... HA I have witnessed what playing Goodpasture, Giles County, Marshall County and Page does for a small school year in and year out. I have also witnessed what playing Notre Dame, Michigan, etc did for Vanderbilt year in and year out.. lol When you are ready?

It is simply amazing how many twist and turns, that we see the opinion of all except our own. Our schedule is prepared by the coaches and staff, they asked camden( they declined ),as did waverly this i know for a fact, and for various reasons i am sure . but just to satisfy others to see us lose, i cannot blame Lewis county coaches for the schedule, 10-0 if that be the end result is better than 8-2 , look and you will see. keep your eyes closed and be blind. lewis county has not done anything wrong, except win and make the opp. upset...

It is simply amazing how many twist and turns, that we see the opinion of all except our own. Our schedule is prepared by the coaches and staff, they asked camden( they declined ),as did waverly this i know for a fact, and for various reasons i am sure . but just to satisfy others to see us lose, i cannot blame Lewis county coaches for the schedule, 10-0 if that be the end result is better than 8-2 , look and you will see. keep your eyes closed and be blind. lewis county has not done anything wrong, except win and make the opp. upset...

Aint 'at the truth.