Who wins Lewis Co. VS Bye week?

bumpngo

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Advisor,

What would a 5-A school gain from playing a 2-A school. If they win they are suppose, to if they lose it is a huge disaster. Isn't that why back in the day the TSSAA created classification. If not then go back to open classification and let everybody play everybody, and have the sportswriters vote on the state champion!

Just a thought!

Good point Blue Raider fan!!! However.......there are occasions where teams like Independence and Centennial would want a break from the tough and physical weekly play of region 6-5A. Also.....teams like Glencliff and Hillwood from Nashville would love to get there kids out of town one night for a road trip that would allow them to play a quality team but return home afterwards. I has been the case here where we've had Memphis teams come play and actually spend the night just to allow there kids a night away Memphis!! Usually.......the Advisor's Alma Mater would compensate them for there efforts! Remember.......many schools greater is size compared to Lewis County do not have 1/100 of the support as your Panthers! Many schools would love for their schools to play in places such as Howenwald. I've seen this happen for years!! The going rate is usually around $1,500 for teams to come play! Many times they will forfeit there home field a come play you 2 years in a row at your home stadium giving you 6 home games instead of 5. Thus, it turns out being a good deal for both teams even after dishing out the $1,500 for the game. Concessions and the gate more than counter that expense!! It's a common practice on the West side of the TN river!

I hear ya MTSUfan.........you made us proud at Louisville last week!!

From 1969-1978, Lewis County's overall record was 41-55-3, included in that was two seasons which were 0-9 and 0-9-1. During this era, we regularly played teams like Marshall County, Giles County, Page, Goodpasture and even Dickson County. Playoffs in 1976 and 1977, one and done. Playing teams larger than us seemingly did little to prepare us for playoff success.

The year 1979 was what I like to look at as the advent of Lewis County becoming a great program. A young coach named Mike Pack was hired in 1978 and suffered through a losing first season playing Goodpasture, Page, Giles County, BGA..... The next year, this coach figured out what was wrong. We were a Class A school still playing much bigger schools. He dropped these schools and begin scheduling teams that were also Class A schools, similar in size to Lewis County.

1979 12-1 Semi-finals in playoffs

1980 11-1 Quarters (Lost to Goodpasture 14-12)

1981 11-1 Quarters (Lost to Goodpasture 16-0)

In 1983, we were moved to Class AA in the old 3 class system. We were one of the three smallest Class AA schools in the state. We were tossed back into playing Marshall County, Giles County, BGA, Brentwood, Page etc... we hit a bad period. Over the next 4 years, we went 15-27. Playing much bigger schools did nothing for us.

This year's out of region schedule is the only thing you can debate. We have zero control over our regional schedule.

Let's look at them....

Mt. Pleasant (25 mile drive from Hohenwald.) The two teams had played every year from 1946 on until the series ended 4 years ago. Mt. Pleasant and Loretto had been our longest continuous rivalry. To me, the renewal of this series is beyond debate. Like Huntingdon-McKenzie, Lexington-Riverside, Lawrenceburg-Loretto, threre are geographical rivalries that are beyond debate. Plus, Mt. Pleasant is a 2006 semi-finalist. it's not like 2001 all iover again.

Wayne County (28 miles from Hohenwald) Another team that had been a longtime rival until a few years back. Now, I will agree that one of these "rivalry"games is plenty. Our other natural rivalry game is Hickman County (21 miles from Hohenwald) and with them and Mt. Pleasant, that is plenty. I will concur that we should not play them. There is nothing in it for us. We will always be expected to win this game.. always! Earlier, there was referance to coaches padding their resumes with games like this but this is actually quite ludicrous. Even though we will always be expected to win this game, there will be years when Wayne County will sneak up and win one. This is disatrous for a coaching staff. Thye have nothing to gain and everything to lose playing Wayne County so I see no reason to play them.

Waverly --- A playoff team last year with big expectations for this year. It is true! Nobody, not our coaches and certainly not theirs expected Waverly to be minus 13 players, nearly all of them starters after week 2. Injuries have killed their team thus far. This was a team on the rise, a playoff team and a team expected to offer some stiff competition until.... THEY LOST 13 PLAYERS IN 2 WEEKS>

Ezell Harding -- They have been a playoof team with consistency. Private school.. great tradition. Lest we forget the 77-21 win over Loretto when they were Class A and Loretto was actually winning games. Now with that being said, I would much prefer playing any "Financial aid" school, say a Brentwood Academy or BGA than play in of the so called non-financial privates. At least they are up front about their status.

I will end my part of the debate with this....

1: I am far from convinced that playing a killer schedule does anything except put a smaller school with much less depth at risk. I am not convinced that it "prepares" a team for the playoffs.

2: I will give you proponents of the upgrade one point. Maybe one "fantasy" game per year. Maybe a Columbia or a Lexington or a Milan... but no more than that. Bigger schools with great depth at every position can afford that luxury. Smaller schools cannot.

3: My hands are tired and my head is spinning and I have to meet the Governor on Thursday so I need to shave. Good night.

From 1969-1978, Lewis County's overall record was 41-55-3, included in that was two seasons which were 0-9 and 0-9-1. During this era, we regularly played teams like Marshall County, Giles County, Page, Goodpasture and even Dickson County. Playoffs in 1976 and 1977, one and done. Playing teams larger than us seemingly did little to prepare us for playoff success.

The year 1979 was what I like to look at as the advent of Lewis County becoming a great program. A young coach named Mike Pack was hired in 1978 and suffered through a losing first season playing Goodpasture, Page, Giles County, BGA..... The next year, this coach figured out what was wrong. We were a Class A school still playing much bigger schools. He dropped these schools and begin scheduling teams that were also Class A schools, similar in size to Lewis County.

1979 12-1 Semi-finals in playoffs

1980 11-1 Quarters (Lost to Goodpasture 14-12)

1981 11-1 Quarters (Lost to Goodpasture 16-0)

In 1983, we were moved to Class AA in the old 3 class system. We were one of the three smallest Class AA schools in the state. We were tossed back into playing Marshall County, Giles County, BGA, Brentwood, Page etc... we hit a bad period. Over the next 4 years, we went 15-27. Playing much bigger schools did nothing for us.

This year's out of region schedule is the only thing you can debate. We have zero control over our regional schedule.

Let's look at them....

Mt. Pleasant (25 mile drive from Hohenwald.) The two teams had played every year from 1946 on until the series ended 4 years ago. Mt. Pleasant and Loretto had been our longest continuous rivalry. To me, the renewal of this series is beyond debate. Like Huntingdon-McKenzie, Lexington-Riverside, Lawrenceburg-Loretto, threre are geographical rivalries that are beyond debate. Plus, Mt. Pleasant is a 2006 semi-finalist. it's not like 2001 all iover again.

Wayne County (28 miles from Hohenwald) Another team that had been a longtime rival until a few years back. Now, I will agree that one of these "rivalry"games is plenty. Our other natural rivalry game is Hickman County (21 miles from Hohenwald) and with them and Mt. Pleasant, that is plenty. I will concur that we should not play them. There is nothing in it for us. We will always be expected to win this game.. always! Earlier, there was referance to coaches padding their resumes with games like this but this is actually quite ludicrous. Even though we will always be expected to win this game, there will be years when Wayne County will sneak up and win one. This is disatrous for a coaching staff. Thye have nothing to gain and everything to lose playing Wayne County so I see no reason to play them.

Waverly --- A playoff team last year with big expectations for this year. It is true! Nobody, not our coaches and certainly not theirs expected Waverly to be minus 13 players, nearly all of them starters after week 2. Injuries have killed their team thus far. This was a team on the rise, a playoff team and a team expected to offer some stiff competition until.... THEY LOST 13 PLAYERS IN 2 WEEKS>

Ezell Harding -- They have been a playoof team with consistency. Private school.. great tradition. Lest we forget the 77-21 win over Loretto when they were Class A and Loretto was actually winning games. Now with that being said, I would much prefer playing any "Financial aid" school, say a Brentwood Academy or BGA than play in of the so called non-financial privates. At least they are up front about their status.

I will end my part of the debate with this....

1: I am far from convinced that playing a killer schedule does anything except put a smaller school with much less depth at risk. I am not convinced that it "prepares" a team for the playoffs.

2: I will give you proponents of the upgrade one point. Maybe one "fantasy" game per year. Maybe a Columbia or a Lexington or a Milan... but no more than that. Bigger schools with great depth at every position can afford that luxury. Smaller schools cannot.

3: My hands are tired and my head is spinning and I have to meet the Governor on Thursday so I need to shave. Good night.

I don't understand how you can argue that playing up in competition does not help your boys prepare for the playoffs. Yes, of course there are risks, but no matter who you step on the field with, there are risks of injuries and losing players. No matter who you play.

If you don't use it, you lose it. No matter how good a team is, they will never be ready to play state championship caliber football unless they have experience playing at that level during the regular season. Hard to overcome adversity when you've never had it before, you know?

Lewis Co. is no smaller than Huntindon or Milan, and those schools always try to put together a tough schedule, that is, with the exception of this year's Huntingdon schedule. And both of those schools are toting Gold Balls. That is the sign of truly great teams. They face that injury and that adversity head on and they over come it.

I agree. It is a shame. This is the best Lewis County team I have ever seen, and they don't really play anybody, except maybe Hickman. The teams speed is better than usual and they have several atheletes.

I WOULDNT worry to much about LC or thier schedule.

I could see this team coming for 3 or4 years.Sure it helps to play the power house teams

but not if they are the maryvilles or smyrnas.It really only helps to play teams that you can

somewhat compete with. Most teams know how to get thier butts whipped.

If you are the best in the region,who cares how strong or weak it is!The other regions

can cry about it ,say you play no one,say they are better and maybe they are. BUT you know

the best teams dont always win come playoff time. ITs what you do then that counts.

WHO can schedule a tougher opponent than BYE?????

They have never ever lost a game!

I don't understand how you can argue that playing up in competition does not help your boys prepare for the playoffs. Yes, of course there are risks, but no matter who you step on the field with, there are risks of injuries and losing players. No matter who you play.

If you don't use it, you lose it. No matter how good a team is, they will never be ready to play state championship caliber football unless they have experience playing at that level during the regular season. Hard to overcome adversity when you've never had it before, you know?

Lewis Co. is no smaller than Huntindon or Milan, and those schools always try to put together a tough schedule, that is, with the exception of this year's Huntingdon schedule. And both of those schools are toting Gold Balls. That is the sign of truly great teams. They face that injury and that adversity head on and they over come it.

Huntingdon's state championship would have little to do with their schedule and everything to do with the fact that they were extremely talented at almost every position. They had everything that you need to win a state title, big strong line play, great skill people, Chris Donald, Boo Weathers.... it's was an alignment of the stars so to say. Now tell me, during that season, was their schedule so demanding that it led them to this title?

How many Big time college players have come from Milan? uh huh... it's usually the skill level that leads to gold balls, not schedules.

How many college players have come from Goodpasture? How many are playing now? How many "volunteer coaches" are on their staff and their sons are receiving a "LEGAL" scholarship because their dads are coaches? How many of them will wind up at Division 1 schools as well?

How many college players has Alcoa produced? How many are being recruited this year?

It's all about talent and coaching at the 2-A level and if you got a stud hoss, putting a ton on his back compared to a featherweight does nothing except break down his back.

Next?

NO. The best teams usually do win come playoff time. The teams with the best record do not.

I think that's the point the tougher schedule proponents are trying to make. Even if you lose against a 3A or 4A team, you're getting something out of it. These schedules are made one year in advance if that. It's not like nobody knows what the other guys got. Schedule to make yourself better. When you're down, schedule down. When you're up, put some teams in there that are going to challenge your team.

Who cares what your non-region record is? It's about getting better.

With all that being said, and with respect intended" if that works for camden, then let thaty be your fix, or preparation for your school and Lewis county is going to keep on doing what works for us... and with all respect in my thoughts on that.. I think lewis is leading at half-time 2-0 on the bye week..lol have a nice day

I guess there's just many different philosophies to the game of football. We'll definately get to see how it all plays out. The shock of running into a powerhouse and the response.

I guess with any state championship you can point to a division one player and a wealth of talent, because that's what it always takes to win championships, but I think it probably takes a bit more than just that.

Next...

everyone does have their own theory and opinion of teams, here is mine. I have been involved and seen football for more than 25yrs of my life. in that time from 1980-1982 they were very tough for a single A, since then in 1994-1996, some opportunities in that time, then most recent 2001-2003, that was our closest ever, 2002 some far sighted referrees helped in Makenzie on two different 4th down calls un believable, none the less. here we are in 2007, and i personally beleive that this is the most well rounded and well built team i have ever seen, only time is going to reveall if they have enough chemistry for a state championship though and we have many hurdles before we get to that point. JUST MY THEORY.