Maryville vs. Alcoa

WarriorFan

Tonight, I did some research on what I thought was the PREMIERE game of TN high school football.....THE ultimate from what everyone writes...... Go to http://www.hsfdatabase.com to see the numbers. I was shocked. I am not taking away anything from Alcoa, as year end and year out, they have some of the best talent in the state. They have had their share of college and NFL players, but the numbers are astounding how lopsided this series is. Alcoa has only beaten Maryville 7 times since 1970. Maryville has won 31 of these meetings. They have played 80 games against each other since 1927, and Alcoa has only won 22 times. They have tied 3 times, and Maryville has won 55. This series is NOT a rivalry.....it is a traditional game played for the community. Now that I have stepped on some toes, I would like other opinions.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tonight, I did some research on what I thought was the PREMIERE game of TN high school football. Go to http://www.hsfdatabase.com to see the numbers. I was shocked. I am not taking away anything from Alcoa, as year end and year out, they have some of the best talent in the state. They have had their share of college and NFL players, but the numbers are astounding how lopsided this series is. Alcoa has only beaten Maryville 7 times since 1970. Maryville has won 31 of these meetings. They have played 80 games against each other since 1927, and Alcoa has only won 22 times. They have tied 3 times, and Maryville has won 55. This series is NOT a rivalry.....it is a traditional game played for the community. Now that I have stepped on some toes, I would like other opinions.

Thats like saying the Yankees/Red Sox rivalry is just a traditional baseball game. NY OWNED Boston for almost 100 years. Even now they are seen as the "dominate" team. Head to head NY has an over a 300 game lead on boston. THey lead the WS titles 26-6 and Al Pennants 39-11. The outcome of a game doesnt determine if a game is a rivalry. How bout Army Navy? their over all records are 49-51-7 but both teams are garbage, so saying because Maryville is more successful against alcoa makes it not a rivalry is like sayin because Army and Navy both stink at football that it shouldnt be a rivalry. "Rivals" go FAR beyond the stats and scores of a game.

Thats like saying the Yankees/Red Sox rivalry is just a traditional baseball game. NY OWNED Boston for almost 100 years. Even now they are seen as the "dominate" team. Head to head NY has an over a 300 game lead on boston. THey lead the WS titles 26-6 and Al Pennants 39-11. The outcome of a game doesnt determine if a game is a rivalry. How bout Army Navy? their over all records are 49-51-7 but both teams are garbage, so saying because Maryville is more successful against alcoa makes it not a rivalry is like sayin because Army and Navy both stink at football that it shouldnt be a rivalry. "Rivals" go FAR beyond the stats and scores of a game.

At first, I thought of Army/Navy, but you guys are nowhere close to the W/L of A v N. Outside of the fact this is good for the community, you guys are OWNED. FYI my brother in law played for Alcoa.

ya , its def still a rivalry , just like the Tennessee Florida one , but im pretty sure Florida owns it too

And i go to alcoa , and i greatly disagree with this just being considered a "tradition"

Just to clarify, Tennessee-Florida is NOT a true rivalry. UT fans conveniently forget that Florida had a very average team prior to Steve Spurrier's hiring at Florida in 1990. This series didn't really become meaningful until then. Alabama is probably the only true "rival" for the Vols. You have to have history in order to call it a rivalry, and there is very little between Tennessee and Florida.

Just to clarify, Tennessee-Florida is NOT a true rivalry. UT fans conveniently forget that Florida had a very average team prior to Steve Spurrier's hiring at Florida in 1990. This series didn't really become meaningful until then. Alabama is probably the only true "rival" for the Vols. You have to have history in order to call it a rivalry, and there is very little between Tennessee and Florida.

You are right These young guns don't remember the days of FL BEFORE Spurrier......remember....they weren't born......or were in diapers...Galen Hall.....Charlie Pell..... Tennessee actually has more wins than Florida in the series.......I actually admire Alcoa's team.....pulled for them for any state title other than the 88-89 state titles against BA in the last 30 years...Wen't to the last 2 state championships and sat on Alcoa's side to cheer for them..they have great athletes. That is why Coach Rankin has a great program other than his coaching abilities.

I guess it comes down to the definition of what a true rivalry is. In order to have a "rivalry," you need proximity, competitiveness, history, a somewhat "even" series (wins vs. losses), and other intangibles. Personally, I think Alcoa and Maryville fit the bill of a rivalry, but it's up for debate. They are geographically close, they have very competitive teams every year, plus both teams have a history of their own and between each other. The fact that the series isn't "even" might put a damper on the idea of this being a rivalry, but I still think it qualifies. I think football fans are quick to use the term "rivalry" to describe a lot of different football games, and it's a term that gets misused a lot. Tennessee fans misuse it, and so do a lot of other fans. Here in this state, Vol fans find themselves calling themselves rivals with Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Florida, Alabama, and Georgia, just to name a few teams. What about Army-Navy, or Alabama-Auburn, or Ohio State-Michigan?

You are right These young guns don't remember the days of FL BEFORE Spurrier......remember....they weren't born......or were in diapers...Galen Hall.....Charlie Pell..... I actually admire Alcoa's team.....pulled for them for any state title other than the 88-89 state titles against BA in the last 30 years.....they have great athletes. That is why Coach Rankin has a great program other than his coaching abilities.

Haha, those Gator days weren't very bright back then. My how the landscape of college football has changed. I think part of the problem people have with dubbing a series a rivalry is, like you said, the dominance of one team over the other. It's easy to call the Tennessee-Florida series a rivalry right now, but whatever happened to fans calling the Tennessee-Alabama series a rivalry? When we couldn't beat Bama, it was a rivalry, but once Gene Stallings left and Tennessee reeled off a long streak of wins, it was no longer that same "rivalry." Go figure.

Haha, those Gator days weren't very bright back then. My how the landscape of college football has changed. I think part of the problem people have with dubbing a series a rivalry is, like you said, the dominance of one team over the other. It's easy to call the Tennessee-Florida series a rivalry right now, but whatever happened to fans calling the Tennessee-Alabama series a rivalry? When we couldn't beat Bama, it was a rivalry, but once Gene Stallings left and Tennessee reeled off a long streak of wins, it was no longer that same "rivalry." Go figure.

Alcoa had a streak of wins on Maryville....IF you look at the database at http://www.hsfdatabase.com .......SINCE 1990, Alcoa has won 4 times. That is a record of 4-14.........BEFORE 1990......Alcoa won 3 times in 20 years......that is a 3-17 record against Maryville...7 wins in 38 years.....some of the players that remember beating Maryville for these 7 wins are 56 years old...why call that a rivalry?????? Oh...7 of the 22 wins in 80 years came from 1952-1958..THAT is the streak....

It is TOO bad Maryville and BA have not played since the 1970's. Come on administrators.........get this game together..we are in a small state, and this is doable....This game hurts neither team in their division for a loss.....The last time Maryville and BA tee'd up, the players would now be 45-50......

I believe that this would be at this time the true test to the best team in TN.....