Alcoa vs. Maryville

WarriorFan

Tonight, I did some research on what I thought was the PREMIERE game of TN high school football. Go to http://www.hsfdatabase.com to see the numbers. I was shocked. I am not taking away anything from Alcoa, as year end and year out, they have some of the best talent in the state. They have had their share of college and NFL players, but the numbers are astounding how lopsided this series is. Alcoa has only beaten Maryville 7 times since 1970. Maryville has won 31 of these meetings. They have played 80 games against each other since 1927, and Alcoa has only won 22 times. They have tied 3 times, and Maryville has won 55. This series is NOT a rivalry.....it is a traditional game played for the community. Now that I have stepped on some toes, I would like other opinions.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They're both great programs, even with one being one of the smallest in 2A and the other having enough students currently to be in 5A. No matter the class, they're usually both among the state's top 10 teams overall, Maryville usually in the top 5 and certainly the last few years. Not sure of your point, most everyone sees the scores and knows how Maryville is just about unbeatable against teams 4A and lower.

They're both great programs, even with one being one of the smallest in 2A and the other having enough students currently to be in 5A. No matter the class, they're usually both among the state's top 10 teams overall, Maryville usually in the top 5 and certainly the last few years. Not sure of your point, most everyone sees the scores and knows how Maryville is just about unbeatable against teams 4A and lower.

They are unbeatable against any team in TN with the exception of maybe Brentwood Academy. Just wondering....if Maryville has enough students.....why haven't they been pushed to 5A?

The main problem is the TSSAA went to four-year classification periods, it used to be two-year periods. I'd say in two years they'll be 5A. I would not be surprised to see them winning titles at that level either, but doubtful it will be year after year.

Maryville is better than any 5A team. 4A is tougher year end and out in my opinion.

i wanna know why my post and one other guys got deleted??

SO i shall start again

Just because some Team "owns" a rivalry doesn't mean its not a rivalry

One of the biggest rivalry's in modern sports Yankees vs Red Sox , but i believe the Yankees are ahead in that series by some 300 something games!??

A rivalry has nothing to do with statistics and scoreboards

Its in the heart and minds of the players

i wanna know why my post and one other guys got deleted??

SO i shall start again

Just because some Team "owns" a rivalry doesn't mean its not a rivalry

One of the biggest rivalry's in modern sports Yankees vs Red Sox , but i believe the Yankees are ahead in that series by some 300 something games!??

A rivalry has nothing to do with statistics and scoreboards

Its in the heart and minds of the players

that happened to me earlier today. My post disappeared because I think my post was not on topic. In 5-6 years, this has not happened before.......

Come on mods......don't delete posts because they don't agree with you. This is what makes this board interesting. We don't always agree, but this keeps traffic here.

Maryville is better than any 5A team. 4A is tougher year end and out in my opinion.

I guess we'll find out in a couple of years. Riverdale would have something to say about it most seasons. I looked at some numbers very quickly, going by their latest enrollment figures (January 2006), the TSSAA would have Maryville in 5A, with about 10 schools under them until it reached 4A. I think Maryville was at about 1380. Schools adding programs, joining the TSSAA or new schools opening might push those at the limit of each class up or down. These aren't actual current classes, just what they might be like in the old two-year system. It's funny Brainerd, who gave Maryville as much as scare as anyone lately, could be playing 3A. These might be off just a tad for some of the reasons mentioned or due to rounding off after dividing the total number of teams by five.

1A-to Huntingdon at 407

2A-to Stewart County at 661

3A-to Brainerd at 949

4A-to Morristown East at 1321

5A-to McGavock at 2592