Whites Creek @ Pearl Cohn

FireBirdNation

Whites Creek has played a very BRUTAL schedule in the early going this year and it appears to only be getting rougher as the season goes on. They are 0-3 with the losses coming to Ooltewah, Hunters Lane, & Tullahoma. The Cobras still have dates in the regular season remaining against the likes of Pearl Cohn, Maplewood, & Hillsboro. I WOULDN'T WISH THAT SCHEDULE ON ANYONE!!!!

Pearl Cohn: 28

Whites Creek: 6

Whites Creek has played a very BRUTAL schedule in the early going this year and it appears to only be getting rougher as the season goes on. They are 0-3 with the losses coming to Ooltewah, Hunters Lane, & Tullahoma. The Cobras still have dates in the regular season remaining against the likes of Pearl Cohn, Maplewood, & Hillsboro. I WOULDN'T WISH THAT SCHEDULE ON ANYONE!!!!

Pearl Cohn: 28

Whites Creek: 6

I like Pearl in a close one. I think Pearl is over-rated this year with the exception of D. Mason at QB. I see this game going into the 4th quarter with Mason making a big play to win it. WC has played 3 quality teams and this will help them in the long run.

I do not belive that Pearl Cohn is overrated in any way, shape, or form. FAR FROM IT AS A MATTER OF FACT!!!!

Their lone loss came to a Top 10 caliber 4A team in Maplewood 20-0. Last year they lost to that very same Maplewood team 43-7. Last year's team that lost to Maplewood had two UNC signees playing WR/DB in Brian Gupton & Rashad Mason, five completely different offensive linemen (Curry, Davidson, Hudgins, Brown: ALL GRADUATED & Osborne: NOW JUST DEFENSE), an TE who'll join the two WRs at UNC next year in Jeremy Gordon, & 3 defensive linemen (Horton, Smith, Logan). Starting RB Deaveon Gregory didn't even play in that game either and also didn't play last week against Macon Co. I'd be amazed if he's playing this week against Whites Creek. REALLY NOW!!!! What were Maplewood's considerable losses outside of Holt at RB (Cantrell is a great replacement) and the two LBs (Jones & Majors)???? At the ABSOLUTE WORST the Maplewood Panthers will finish the season at 8-2. They could easily finish 9-1 or even 10-0. Nobody outside of Hunters Lane or Hillsboro that's on their schedule has a prayer at playing with them. NOBODY!!!!

The two teams in Region 4-3A, region that PC competes in, that have been getting all of the publicity since the end of last year have been White House & Station Camp. Even though Pearl Cohn won the region title last year the entire season all people talked about was Station Camp. They were 9-0 before PC came to Gallatin and took the region title away from them in a rain storm last October in week ten. This year everyone is on the bandwagon again following wins over 5A Hendersonville & a 28-0 shutout against Sycamore. White House is the coaches pick, the Tennessean's pick, Murphy Fair's pick, On the Ball's pick, & Varsity Sports Media's pick to win Region 4-3A. They are 1-1 on the season but everyone is giving them the benefit of the doubt because their loss came to Alcoa. I know that the three-time defending state champs are great but the score in that game was 41-0 in the second quarter folks. Even with this nobody out there is calling the Blue Devils an overrated bunch. THEY SHOULD NOT DO SO EITHER BECAUSE WHITE HOUSE IS A VERY GOOD FOOTBALL TEAM!!!! STATION CAMP IS A VERY GOOD FOOTBALL TEAM!!!!

Pearl Cohn will be just fine. Remember that their season last year began with a 43-7 loss against Maplewood, a 30-26 win over John Overton (a game that they needed to score 24 points in the final quarter to rally from behind and win), a 28-21 win over Sycamore (a game that they trailed 21-0 in the first half), a 14-6 loss to Stratford, & a 35-28 loss to White House (a game that they blew a 28-14 lead in the final quarter).

Pearl Cohn was 5-3 after 8 games last year and the only teams that they had truly beaten up on like a state semifinalist team should do is in the wins over Glencliff, Macon Co., & DeKalb Co. NOT ONE OF THOSE THREE TEAMS WENT TO THE PLAYOFFS LAST YEAR!!!!!

Following the heartbreaking losses to Stratford & White House it was clear that Pearl Cohn needed something good to happen in a hurry. Fitzgerald was retired & Brunetti was really starting to come under serious fire from all of the "naysayers" out there. This is when 2006 started to look a lot like 1996 (a 2-4 start was followed by 9 straight wins and a state title back then in 4A). Pearl Cohn destroyed Greenbrier at "Bobcat Field" which is something that just doesn't happen. The final was 35-0. Following a bye week that saw Station Camp win another game very impressively the Firebirds had a "shot to play for a region title". I quote this because there was NOBODY who actually thought that Pearl Cohn was going to win on 9-0 Station Camp's home field. Not even I truly believed it though I did pick PC to win the game. Pearl Cohn trailed 10-6 in the fourth quarter in a driving rain storm and had failed to score on several opportunities deep in Bison territory. THEN???? Deaunte Mason took the game over. He threw a TD pass to Rashad Mason and added a TD run and Pearl Cohn won 21-16 surviving a kick return for a TD that gave SC life in the end before PC ran out the time. Brunetti went from a "goat" to a "savior" in leading PC to the first region title in the school's history since the 2001 season (they split the Region 6-4A title with White House that year). It was the school's first outright region title since 1998. LOOK IT UP IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE ME!!!!

In the playoffs Pearl Cohn beat Polk Co. 6-0 (best #4 seed in 3A football history outside of Livingston Academy in 2005), White House 29-9 (avenging earlier loss), Sycamore 32-18 (in another very wild game between these two schools). A 5-3 beginning to what you all were calling "a disappointing season" turned into 5 CONSECUTIVE WINS OVER PLAYOFF TEAMS and a home game in the state semifinals.

Pearl Cohn lost in the semifinals 26-12 to a very good Fulton bunch from Knoxville. The #2 seed out of Region 2-3A beat 4 REGION CHAMPIONS on their way to winning the 2006 Class 3A Blue Cross Bowl. Fulton beat 1-3A Champion Carter, 2-3A Champion Catholic (both Knoxville schools), 4-3A Champion Pearl Cohn, & 5-3A Champion Lipscomb. AGAIN.........LOOK IT UP IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE THE NUMBERS!!!!!

Pearl Cohn is going to be just fine. Coach Tony Brunetti and his staff are doing an excellent job over there and despite losing all of that talent from last year's great bunch they still have an opportunity to legitimately say that they can win Region 4-3A and challenge to go all the way to the Class 3A Blue Cross Bowl. Deaunte Mason is a great player at QB. He has the talent and the overall will to put a team on his shoulders are carry them. He has three pretty good receivers to throw the football to and hurt teams. Johnson already has several TD catches on the year. Gregory, when healthy, is going to add a much needed boost to the offense. He is a 1,500 yard type of back. Defensively the lineabckers make for a great foursome. Johnson & Sweatt are two very rangy and athletic players who can cover receivers as well as play tight against the run. Inside Osborne is a beast. Howard Griffin may be the best overall defensive player in Class 3A. He'll flat out stick you!!! The key to the Firebirds is the line. If they can get some protection for Mason and come off of the football and then defensively if they can get some gap pluggers to allow those very talented linebackers to run around and make plays then they are going to be very diffcult to beat.

After all, there aren't too many "Maplewood's" in Class 3A

I do not belive that Pearl Cohn is overrated in any way, shape, or form. FAR FROM IT AS A MATTER OF FACT!!!!

Their lone loss came to a Top 10 caliber 4A team in Maplewood 20-0. Last year they lost to that very same Maplewood team 43-7. Last year's team that lost to Maplewood had two UNC signees playing WR/DB in Brian Gupton & Rashad Mason, five completely different offensive linemen (Curry, Davidson, Hudgins, Brown: ALL GRADUATED & Osborne: NOW JUST DEFENSE), an TE who'll join the two WRs at UNC next year in Jeremy Gordon, & 3 defensive linemen (Horton, Smith, Logan). Starting RB Deaveon Gregory didn't even play in that game either and also didn't play last week against Macon Co. I'd be amazed if he's playing this week against Whites Creek. REALLY NOW!!!! What were Maplewood's considerable losses outside of Holt at RB (Cantrell is a great replacement) and the two LBs (Jones & Majors)???? At the ABSOLUTE WORST the Maplewood Panthers will finish the season at 8-2. They could easily finish 9-1 or even 10-0. Nobody outside of Hunters Lane or Hillsboro that's on their schedule has a prayer at playing with them. NOBODY!!!!

The two teams in Region 4-3A, region that PC competes in, that have been getting all of the publicity since the end of last year have been White House & Station Camp. Even though Pearl Cohn won the region title last year the entire season all people talked about was Station Camp. They were 9-0 before PC came to Gallatin and took the region title away from them in a rain storm last October in week ten. This year everyone is on the bandwagon again following wins over 5A Hendersonville & a 28-0 shutout against Sycamore. White House is the coaches pick, the Tennessean's pick, Murphy Fair's pick, On the Ball's pick, & Varsity Sports Media's pick to win Region 4-3A. They are 1-1 on the season but everyone is giving them the benefit of the doubt because their loss came to Alcoa. I know that the three-time defending state champs are great but the score in that game was 41-0 in the second quarter folks. Even with this nobody out there is calling the Blue Devils an overrated bunch. THEY SHOULD NOT DO SO EITHER BECAUSE WHITE HOUSE IS A VERY GOOD FOOTBALL TEAM!!!! STATION CAMP IS A VERY GOOD FOOTBALL TEAM!!!!

Pearl Cohn will be just fine. Remember that their season last year began with a 43-7 loss against Maplewood, a 30-26 win over John Overton (a game that they needed to score 24 points in the final quarter to rally from behind and win), a 28-21 win over Sycamore (a game that they trailed 21-0 in the first half), a 14-6 loss to Stratford, & a 35-28 loss to White House (a game that they blew a 28-14 lead in the final quarter).

Pearl Cohn was 5-3 after 8 games last year and the only teams that they had truly beaten up on like a state semifinalist team should do is in the wins over Glencliff, Macon Co., & DeKalb Co. NOT ONE OF THOSE THREE TEAMS WENT TO THE PLAYOFFS LAST YEAR!!!!!

Following the heartbreaking losses to Stratford & White House it was clear that Pearl Cohn needed something good to happen in a hurry. Fitzgerald was retired & Brunetti was really starting to come under serious fire from all of the "naysayers" out there. This is when 2006 started to look a lot like 1996 (a 2-4 start was followed by 9 straight wins and a state title back then in 4A). Pearl Cohn destroyed Greenbrier at "Bobcat Field" which is something that just doesn't happen. The final was 35-0. Following a bye week that saw Station Camp win another game very impressively the Firebirds had a "shot to play for a region title". I quote this because there was NOBODY who actually thought that Pearl Cohn was going to win on 9-0 Station Camp's home field. Not even I truly believed it though I did pick PC to win the game. Pearl Cohn trailed 10-6 in the fourth quarter in a driving rain storm and had failed to score on several opportunities deep in Bison territory. THEN???? Deaunte Mason took the game over. He threw a TD pass to Rashad Mason and added a TD run and Pearl Cohn won 21-16 surviving a kick return for a TD that gave SC life in the end before PC ran out the time. Brunetti went from a "goat" to a "savior" in leading PC to the first region title in the school's history since the 2001 season (they split the Region 6-4A title with White House that year). It was the school's first outright region title since 1998. LOOK IT UP IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE ME!!!!

In the playoffs Pearl Cohn beat Polk Co. 6-0 (best #4 seed in 3A football history outside of Livingston Academy in 2005), White House 29-9 (avenging earlier loss), Sycamore 32-18 (in another very wild game between these two schools). A 5-3 beginning to what you all were calling "a disappointing season" turned into 5 CONSECUTIVE WINS OVER PLAYOFF TEAMS and a home game in the state semifinals.

Pearl Cohn lost in the semifinals 26-12 to a very good Fulton bunch from Knoxville. The #2 seed out of Region 2-3A beat 4 REGION CHAMPIONS on their way to winning the 2006 Class 3A Blue Cross Bowl. Fulton beat 1-3A Champion Carter, 2-3A Champion Catholic (both Knoxville schools), 4-3A Champion Pearl Cohn, & 5-3A Champion Lipscomb. AGAIN.........LOOK IT UP IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE THE NUMBERS!!!!!

Pearl Cohn is going to be just fine. Coach Tony Brunetti and his staff are doing an excellent job over there and despite losing all of that talent from last year's great bunch they still have an opportunity to legitimately say that they can win Region 4-3A and challenge to go all the way to the Class 3A Blue Cross Bowl. Deaunte Mason is a great player at QB. He has the talent and the overall will to put a team on his shoulders are carry them. He has three pretty good receivers to throw the football to and hurt teams. Johnson already has several TD catches on the year. Gregory, when healthy, is going to add a much needed boost to the offense. He is a 1,500 yard type of back. Defensively the lineabckers make for a great foursome. Johnson & Sweatt are two very rangy and athletic players who can cover receivers as well as play tight against the run. Inside Osborne is a beast. Howard Griffin may be the best overall defensive player in Class 3A. He'll flat out stick you!!! The key to the Firebirds is the line. If they can get some protection for Mason and come off of the football and then defensively if they can get some gap pluggers to allow those very talented linebackers to run around and make plays then they are going to be very diffcult to beat.

After all, there aren't too many "Maplewood's" in Class 3A

Amen!