Whitehaven 7 Melrose 6

lasal2000

First I would like to say that melrose put up a great fight last night and I think they have a solid team. However, I read the article in the Commercial appeal and there was no mention of Whitehaven's injuried starting QB. I think the team should be acknoledged for beating a great melrose team without thier general. WHS offense suffered greatly and was not able to play even close to there potential offensively. The QB seemed to be very timid and did not produce through the air at all.

Melrose did not see the true potential of this WHS team. I don't mean to be a bad sport, but WHS was forced to run about 90% of the time because the backup QB was a hazard- and I believed the melrose staff knew this. Anyway a win was a win and I am glad we were able to pull it off. As far as the RB controversy at melrose, there should not be any. #34 is by far, head and shoulders better than #32.

Both defenses played great however, I want to say that this WHS defense is the best defense I have seen in a long time. To hold melrose they way that they did was just awesome. Melrose's only score was the result of a gift from WHS punter whose knee touched the ground from a low punt and melrose was able to receive the ball on the 2 yard line. After about 3 attempts the melrose QB was able to punch it in for a TD. It is good to see WH come through in big game situations and I hope they continue to work. Melrose has a good team, I believe the X-factor is their QB. Toney is a big time player and i knew this coming in. We weren't able to stop him, but we were able to contain him. Anyway, what are yalls your thoughts?

First I would like to say that melrose put up a great fight last night and I think they have a solid team. However, I read the article in the Commercial appeal and there was no mention of Whitehaven's injuried starting QB. I think the team should be acknoledged for beating a great melrose team without thier general. WHS offense suffered greatly and was not able to play even close to there potential offensively. The QB seemed to be very timid and did not produce through the air at all.

Melrose did not see the true potential of this WHS team. I don't mean to be a bad sport, but WHS was forced to run about 90% of the time because the backup QB was a hazard- and I believed the melrose staff knew this. Anyway a win was a win and I am glad we were able to pull it off. As far as the RB controversy at melrose, there should not be any. #34 is by far, head and shoulders better than #32.

Both defenses played great however, I want to say that this WHS defense is the best defense I have seen in a long time. To hold melrose they way that they did was just awesome. Melrose's only score was the result of a gift from WHS punter whose knee touched the ground from a low punt and melrose was able to receive the ball on the 2 yard line. After about 3 attempts the melrose QB was able to punch it in for a TD. It is good to see WH come through in big game situations and I hope they continue to work. Melrose has a good team, I believe the X-factor is their QB. Toney is a big time player and i knew this coming in. We weren't able to stop him, but we were able to contain him. Anyway, what are yalls your thoughts?

If Whitehaven starting qb had played then my prediction of 27 - 6 would have been correct. Also #34 is not better than # 32. # 32 got the start against a fresh Whitehaven Defense. #34 didn't enter into the game until almost halftime. I have been watching them all year, trust me #32 is the better runningback. Melrose poor play calling puts their players in suspect positions. Whitehaven had alot of mental breakdowns and still pulled off the victory. Melrose defense played a heck of a game. Hightower's 60 yd td was realy the only major play that they gave up all night. it was that one play that beat Melrose. Melrose cashed on a low snap by the center in which the punter ( God help him ) squatted down with his knee on the ground and caught the ball and tried to kick it, but it was blown dead by the ref.

In reference to the last sentence in the above topic, why is it that on a extra point the holder can have his knee on the ground and catch the ball and the ref doesn't blow it dead ? Has anyone ever thought about that ?

Both D's were great. #5 at LB for Melrose was every bit as good as Yo Yo, especially since Yo Yo cost them the game with that stupid roughing the punter penalty. Toney shows so much potential I keep hoping he'll put it all together. Not sure if Whitehaven's D Line was great, or if Melrose's O Line was just bad...probably both. Melrose's O line just did not look like they knew what they were doing. Would be interesting to have seen Whitehaven's O if their QB had been able to play, those WR's look like studs. Hightower will be a great player at the next level.

Both D's were great. #5 at LB for Melrose was every bit as good as Yo Yo, especially since Yo Yo cost them the game with that stupid roughing the punter penalty. Toney shows so much potential I keep hoping he'll put it all together. Not sure if Whitehaven's D Line was great, or if Melrose's O Line was just bad...probably both. Melrose's O line just did not look like they knew what they were doing. Would be interesting to have seen Whitehaven's O if their QB had been able to play, those WR's look like studs. Hightower will be a great player at the next level.

You know that I must apologize because #5 Greg King is a good linebacker and very athlethic. Yo Yo made a very bad play, however I have to blame the coaches. When you go to block a punt, you simply stretch out at the foot where the ball is kicked, not run into the kicker. Obviously this was not taught. If this is taught then there will be alot of blocked punts around Memphis.

i guess melrose didn't get "embarassed" like some of you folks thought. it doesn't even matter that WH's qb got hurt cause thats just apart of football

You're right. Melrose defensive front and linebackers is the core of that team. However WHS receivers did get behind the secondary like I stated, but the passes were underthrown

My conclusions-

Both teams are not serious contenders for state. Melrose may win two game in the playoffs, while Whitehaven may win one.

Melrose's offensive line is bad. They seem to have the players, but lack everything else when it comes to solid offensive line play. They could be a contender for state if they did not play so bad on the offensive line.

With or without the starting qb, Whitehaven still has not shown me that they could beat decent well-coached disciplined (teams with a history of being disciplined) teams like CBHS, MUS, and WS etc.

Whitehaven finally got over the hump and defeated Melrose. Great, gritty win.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lsal2000, it's unfortunate that an injury kept Whitehaven's starting QB out of the game. That's the inherent nature of the game, though. As such, the missing QB's possible effect on the game is a moot point. Teams must still find a way to win with the players that take the field. Whitehaven did just that. That's the sign of a good team.

While I believe that this is the best team that Whitehaven has had in a very long time, they must improve in a number of areas (namely, execution) in order to seriously challenge for a State Title. I noted this after their narrow loss to White Station, even when the starting QB was playing. This was confirmed vs an offensively-challenged Melrose team.

This is not meant as a negative comment, Lsal2000; I just want to caution Whitehaven fans against getting too caught up in the proverbial "shoulda'- woulda'- coulda'" syndrome. Whitehaven's State Championship aspirations will hinge moreso on its team execution, versus talent and individual performances. That should be the team's #1 priority. This team clearly has the overall talent (as they often do) to be State Champions.

As for Melrose...Melrose has a great defense (again), but poor coaching and a HORRIFIC offense--especially the Offensive line! This was noted even in their win over CBHS. It was confirmed in its losses to Mitchell and Whitehaven. Melrose has a whole lot more improving to do (than does Whitehaven), to be considered a serious threat for the State Title.

URGENT: Melrose needs to immediately go back to the drawing board and come up with a new offensive approach. Their offense is so lackluster, impotent and inefficient that is excruciatingly painful to watch! Seriously.

For starters, Melrose really needs to shorten up their passing game and consider greater use of the "shotgun." Although their QB has a strong arm (he's NOT a good decision-maker, however) he rarely has enough time to throw the ball at all, let alone way downfield, due to very poor offensive line blocking!

Lastly, I have to disagree with you on #34 being a better RB that #32.....I concur with HighSchoolKing on this one. After seeing these 2 RB's twice this year (additionally, I saw #34 many more times last sesason) under many game-time situations, I must say that #32 is hands-down the better RB! He has repeatedly demonstrated superior RB instincts, speed, power, agility, vision, quickness, elusiveness, etc.

There IS a running back controversy at Melrose, in my opinion!

#32 should be the primary RB for Melrose. They need to cease and dissist (sp?) using #34 as a RB. Period. For the sake of an improved offense, all this needs to happen immediately. Melrose's coaches need to get their heads out of the clouds, then wake up and realize (what's painfully obvious to anyone who has seen these two RBs at least twice) that #32 is their most efffective RB. He dramatically improves their odds of winning.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Best of luck to Melrose and Whitehaven the rest of the seaaon. Hopefully, one of ya'll can bring a shinny Gold Ball back to Memphis this year!

You know that I must apologize because #5 Greg King is a good linebacker and very athlethic. Yo Yo made a very bad play, however I have to blame the coaches. When you go to block a punt, you simply stretch out at the foot where the ball is kicked, not run into the kicker. Obviously this was not taught. If this is taught then there will be alot of blocked punts around Memphis.

I don't blame the coaches for what Yo Yo did. Yo Yo (#7) must take all the blame!

The punter had punted the ball at least 5 or 6 footsteps BEFORE #7 even got near him. Then, Yo Yo appeared to just extend both of his arms outward and just deliberately pop the punter in the chest! It looked like he was frustrated and just wanted to just hit the punter, regardless. Of course, he did not attempt to block the punt--that would have been impossible, beacuse 'cause the ball had long since left the punter's foot!

I don't know of any other way to put it: #7 just wanted to hit the punter! There was no football reason that he needed to be within 1-step of the punter, given that the ball was long, long gone. #7 must assume sole responsibility for that. That's on him, in my view, not the coaches!

Yo Yo's stupid play literally cost Melrose the game, as it gave the ball back to Whitehaven with about 40-seconds or so left in the half. Of course, Whitehaven's RB promptly busted loose for a 60-yard TD run. The rest is history.