topvol98

Who Wins?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't expect Science Hill to just show up and win. It's a tough confrence game but it doesn't seem that the Dollywooders are into football this season.

For whatever reason, there never are many SC fans who post on CoachT even when the Bears have a good team much less when they are down such as this year.

Also outside of my original thumbnail report of our season there is just not much else to discuss about us (at least not positive). Unfortunately, we are not in the same position as schools such as DB, Ooltewah, Oak Ridge, etc. where we can "reload" with a talented, albeit, inexperienced athletes once a senoir laden team has graduated. Instead, we go into a "rebuilding" mode which means that our season will play out in this scenerio: not very competitive losses to the really good teams, close hard fought wins/losses to the lesser/comparable teams followed by a blow out loss in the first round of the playoffs (yes I have followed SC football far too long /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> ).

As far as this weeks game, it sounds like SH has a good defense with a good rushing attack and an adequate passing game. I will say that the one glimmer of hope that SC has is that the two teams that gave us the most trouble had outstanding passing QB's and big, athletic WR's. I don't know if it has changed but what little I remember reading about SH was that they were just average in the passing department this year. If that is still the case then maybe the Bears stand some small chance of springing the upset since their run defense has actually been pretty descent. Also the two teams that beat us soundly were two of the better teams from their respective regions (WB will finish first or second I believe and West will finish second behind Maryville). That means that against the teams that had comparable talent to us we have fared better and given a much better showing of ourselves. I guess we will find out which catagory Science Hill falls into tomorrow night.

As to the importance of this game, yes it is important in regard to determining the pecking order of Region 1. The winner will have the inside track to a third place finish while the loser will have an uphill battle to claim the the fourth and final playoff spot. I believe that Bearden and DB settled first and second place a couple of weeks ago and would be surprised if either of them lose any of their remaining region matchups. So that leaves Sevier County, Science Hill and Jefferson County to battle it out in a round robin format for the last two playoff positions IMO.

As far as this weeks game, it sounds like SH has a good defense with a good rushing attack and an adequate passing game. I will say that the one glimmer of hope that SC has is that the two teams that gave us the most trouble had outstanding passing QB's and big, athletic WR's. I don't know if it has changed but what little I remember reading about SH was that they were just average in the passing department this year. If that is still the case then maybe the Bears stand some small chance of springing the upset since their run defense has actually been pretty descent. Also the two teams that beat us soundly were two of the better teams from their respective regions (WB will finish first or second I believe and West will finish second behind Maryville). That means that against the teams that had comparable talent to us we have fared better and given a much better showing of ourselves. I guess we will find out which catagory Science Hill falls into tomorrow night.

As to the importance of this game, yes it is important in regard to determining the pecking order of Region 1. The winner will have the inside track to a third place finish while the loser will have an uphill battle to claim the the fourth and final playoff spot. I believe that Bearden and DB settled first and second place a couple of weeks ago and would be surprised if either of them lose any of their remaining region matchups. So that leaves Sevier County, Science Hill and Jefferson County to battle it out in a round robin format for the last two playoff positions IMO.

Maybe I'm looking from the wrong color of glasses but I think that Science Hill beat Sevier County will be the upset. The Bears were/are one of the favorites for the confrence crown and have not lost in the league play. I also believe that SC is considered by most observers to have more of a program than your trying to lead us to believe, I think that the Bears do reload more than rebuild. The have a great coach who recognizes the strengths of his team and try to saty with those restraints. They have kids that take pride in their football program and give forth maximum effort. Correct me if I'm wrong but they have hosted more first round playoff games than they have played on the road..meaning that they are usually playing db for the confrence title.

I also have to disagree with the importance of this game. With db already losing to Bearden the winner of this game is a very comfortable position of getting a chance to play Bearden with the confrence title on the line. I think that db will be tough but they have shown no ability to move the ball but I expect them to get better every week just like all teams in the confrence as long as they don't stub their toe tonight. I believe that this game will go along way to see who will contend with Bearden. This is a huge stepping stone for both teams into determining who will play at home the first round of the playoffs.

Back to tonights game. I'm looking forward to hearing your opnion on how the Toppers stack up to the other teams you have played this season. The Topper defense has been playing out of it's head the last couple of weeks and I believe that the two-platoon system is a major reason as our players are very fresh and we are able to keep attacking all game. There are areas to exploit in the defense but you either have to have a very good line or very mobile qb to find them. One of the areas I've alway been concerned with a 3-5 is that a very discipline team and well coached team can attack it in the middle. West showed some of that last week but didn't have the patience to wait it out or ran out of room. Our defense is strong, fast and nasty. They are going to hit you all night long or have you on the run before you get hit. If our offense is able to spot them 14 points, they just get better. I believe that the change last week really completes the puzzle from the first two weeks. Our offense is showing life and this might be the week that it all comes together. Our running game is scary good and I belive with a lil option in it, would be unstoppable. We have the best trio of backs in the area.... Our offense of line is coming off its best game this year against Morristown West. Our passing game showed alot of potential last week but consistency is the missing factor but it's improving. Once it gets confidence to throw the ball inside the numbers, I believe it will be better than average and the rest of the schedule will need to watch out. Our problems have been putting together a drive and the inconsistency in the passing game seems to be the problem. We are at about 10% on third down coversions (4/34 but I may be wrong by a couple of numbers on either side) and only one of those have been picked up in the passing game. We have big play capability as we have at least 8 plays of over 30 yards in the last couple of games but our punter has punted (very well) 19 times in three games.

I think that SC plays into our favor tonight. I think that the passing game will come around enough that we are able to do either in the second half and finish a team off. I know the defense will be ready to play and I'm expecting only one score, if that, to be given up. I'm looking at a repeat of the scores from the last couple of games. Toppers by 10.

Maybe I'm looking from the wrong color of glasses but I think that Science Hill beat Sevier County will be the upset. The Bears were/are one of the favorites for the confrence crown and have not lost in the league play. I also believe that SC is considered by most observers to have more of a program than your trying to lead us to believe, I think that the Bears do reload more than rebuild. The have a great coach who recognizes the strengths of his team and try to saty with those restraints. They have kids that take pride in their football program and give forth maximum effort. Correct me if I'm wrong but they have hosted more first round playoff games than they have played on the road..meaning that they are usually playing db for the confrence title.

Thanks for the compliment. Yes SC has a fine coaching staff and a solid program but since the advent of another county high school back in '99 (Pigeon Forge) the numbers have just not been there for us to draw from consistently. Thus after a talented class graduates we follow that up with down years where we are just not very competitive with the better teams in the region and area. This same scenerio has played out exactly the same way for the last several years. As an example of the differences in programs look no further than DB this year. Both teams lost many quality starters but the Tribe has been much more competitive in their losses than us. We will eventually be back but not this year. You will see for yourself tonight.

I also have to disagree with the importance of this game. With db already losing to Bearden the winner of this game is a very comfortable position of getting a chance to play Bearden with the confrence title on the line. I think that db will be tough but they have shown no ability to move the ball but I expect them to get better every week just like all teams in the confrence as long as they don't stub their toe tonight. I believe that this game will go along way to see who will contend with Bearden. This is a huge stepping stone for both teams into determining who will play at home the first round of the playoffs.

Before the season started I thought Region 1 would finish as follows:

1. Bearden

2. DB

3. Science Hill

4. Jeff Co. / Sevier Co.

That finish was predicated not just on perceived returning talent but also how the schedules layed out for each team. A good, veteran Bearden squad had to travel to DB but that was going to be early in the season so advantage the Bulldogs. A young but maturing DB was catching the Toppers at home the last game of the season so advantage the Tribe. Science Hill has to travel not only to DB but also to Bearden. That will be a tough duo for the Toppers to overcome. I felt that both Sevier Co. and Jeff Co. were a notch below those teams so I thought their matchup in October would decide the fourth playoff spot. So far the teams and season seem to be going along pretty much according to this scenerio.

I guess we'll just set back and see how it all plays out starting with tonights matchup /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />