Whitehaven vs. Collierville (8-5A clash of Titans)

kwc

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't discount the game against Whitehaven that they still have to play. That will also be anothet big game for both schools. Honestlt, from here on out, every game on Germantown's schedule is huge. Whether it is against White Station of against Kirby. They have to right the ship, and do it quickly. Losing can be just as infectious as winning. Germantown will come out guns ablazing against White Station on Friday night. That 35-0 pasting they took against Collierville could be the straw that broke the camels back. If White Station blasts Germantown on Friday ... the coaches at Germantown may never get things turned around this season. We will see ... tomorrows game is crucial for Germantown. Their season could be riding on their performance tomorrow. I mean ... if they lose, will they be able to keep the score respectable? 35-0 speaks volumes to me.

kwc, you're right that all of G'towns remaining games are big if they plan on playoffs this season. I mentioned Houston simply because they have the crosstown rivalry thing. I feel like our game with G'town is huge for them, because it will give an indication (in my mind anyway) of where they are headed this season. If they can come up and be cometitive, then they have some hope in salvaging something out of this season, even if it's just gaining confidence for next year. But if they can't find something positive to hang their hat on, there's no telling when they'll revive that program. I'm hoping they don't find the cure for their troubles tomorrow though.....maybe when they play Whitehaven, ya'll can give them something to boost their egos..... /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

.....maybe when they play Whitehaven, ya'll can give them something to boost their egos..... /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Oh no you didn't go there! ... LOL. That ain't right! ... LOL. If it is up to me, thier egos will need inflating after they play Whitehaven.

Gametime in 3 little more then 3 hours in Memphis! I hope I get there BEFORE halftime this game ... I know that I will get better parking then I did at the Melrose game ... MAN! it was PACKED last week. This game will be crowded too ... but not like last weeks game. Whew ... it was elbow to elbow last week.

Coch Jason Harris will need to call better offensive plays than he did last week against Melrose to win.

NEWSFLASH: Whitehaven needs to fire its ENTIRE coaching staff, starting with the offensive coordinator....Well, maybe just the Head Coach and the OC.

Whitehaven needs an aggressive Head Coach like a Tim Thompson, former Melrose HC (I'm talking football only). He was NEVER, ever afraid to "turn loose the dogs!" His teams would simply run you right out of the stadium, while taking total advantage of its superior passing game.

This Whitehaven team has the ingredients and overall talent to actually win the State Championship. No kidding! Sadly, they won't though. It's coaching staff is going to get in the way and make sure that they don't even get there, let alone actually win the darn thing.

More on this later.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, Whitehaven held on to defeat my alma mater last night, 14-10, after sprinting (passing) out to a 14-0 half-time lead. The game should not have been that close, however. WHS should have put up at least 2 more TD's but, instead, were shut out in the 2nd-half. The reason: scared, passive offensive play-calling!

Whitehaven has a deadly, high-powered passing game featuring a strong-armed QB and tall, talented receivers. Their receivers got open all night long. The QB got 'em the ball. The quickly put up 14 pts but--what does the Coach do, from that point on.....HE STOPPED THROWING THE BALL!

After jumping out to an early 14-0 lead, WHS' Coaching staff instantly began playing "not to lose," instead of "playing to win." WHS' offense then appeared to get way out of sync. They seemed to lose confidence and focus. This enabled CHS to gain much needed momentum, particularly in the 2nd-half, with its slick Wing-T attack, highlighted by timely passing... Credit Collierville for a hanging around, before posting a furious comeback.

Aside from some secondary issues, Collierville actually has a solid team this year. They're a tough, disciplined bunch with a stout running game, timely passing and a good run-defense. The execute well..... While I hated to see them lose, they appeared to be totally helpless against WHS' passing attack.

Whitehaven's offense is much, much too conservative! Their team needs to play with more discipline. Other that that, they're actually a Championship-type team. Seriously.

WHS should be employing a wide open, Spread offense. With its tremendous offensive weapons, they should be throwing the ball all over the field--at least 60 to 70% of the time! Yet, because the Coaching staff is so afraid of losing, they fail to fully exploit its offensive strength--the passing game. Instead, they choose to just run the ball play after play, after play. They then quickly get reduced to just another decent, underachieving Whitehaven football team.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All in all, this turned out to be a great game. WHS dominated the 1st-half and appeared primed to just throw(umm, pass) Collierville right off the field. CHS regrouped and won the 2nd-half, assisted by numerous Whitehaven penalties/conservative 2nd-half offense. Nevertheless, CHS took advantage of the situation and executed to near-perfection. Unfortunately (I say), they just came up a little bit short.

I wish Whitehaven had lost this game, for two reasons:

1) I'm Selfish. Of course I'm gonna pull for my Dragons.

2) It would have exposed Whitehaven's inept (in my opinion) coaching staff, for its ultra-conservative, scared offensive approach.

3) Championship teams play to their strengths. Apparently, Whitehaven's coaching staff never got that memo.

Perceptive post TraderB. Knew this was going to be close, and because of the tremendous talent WHS has, and the home field advantage, I assumed the Tigers would win. But you are right, WHS could be so much more.

On the other hand, I think Cox is one of the best coaches around. He always seems to bring out the best from his guys. I don't care what anyone else says, I think our region has to be one of the most competitive there is in the state.

NEWSFLASH: Whitehaven needs to fire its ENTIRE coaching staff, starting with the offensive coordinator....Well, maybe just the Head Coach and the OC.

Whitehaven needs an aggressive Head Coach like a Tim Thompson, former Melrose HC (I'm talking football only). He was NEVER, ever afraid to "turn loose the dogs!" His teams would simply run you right out of the stadium, while taking total advantage of its superior passing game.

This Whitehaven team has the ingredients and overall talent to actually win the State Championship. No kidding! Sadly, they won't though. It's coaching staff is going to get in the way and make sure that they don't even get there, let alone actually win the darn thing.

More on this later.

Anyway, Whitehaven held on to defeat my alma mater last night, 14-10, after sprinting (passing) out to a 14-0 half-time lead. The game should not have been that close, however. WHS should have put up at least 2 more TD's but, instead, were shut out in the 2nd-half. The reason: scared, passive offensive play-calling!

Whitehaven has a deadly, high-powered passing game featuring a strong-armed QB and tall, talented receivers. Their receivers got open all night long. The QB got 'em the ball. The quickly put up 14 pts but--what does the Coach do, from that point on.....HE STOPPED THROWING THE BALL!

After jumping out to an early 14-0 lead, WHS' Coaching staff instantly began playing "not to lose," instead of "playing to win." WHS' offense then appeared to get way out of sync. They seemed to lose confidence and focus. This enabled CHS to gain much needed momentum, particularly in the 2nd-half, with its slick Wing-T attack, highlighted by timely passing... Credit Collierville for a hanging around, before posting a furious comeback.

Aside from some secondary issues, Collierville actually has a solid team this year. They're a tough, disciplined bunch with a stout running game, timely passing and a good run-defense. The execute well..... While I hated to see them lose, they appeared to be totally helpless against WHS' passing attack.

Whitehaven's offense is much, much too conservative! Their team needs to play with more discipline. Other that that, they're actually a Championship-type team. Seriously.

WHS should be employing a wide open, Spread offense. With its tremendous offensive weapons, they should be throwing the ball all over the field--at least 60 to 70% of the time! Yet, because the Coaching staff is so afraid of losing, they fail to fully exploit its offensive strength--the passing game. Instead, they choose to just run the ball play after play, after play. They then quickly get reduced to just another decent, underachieving Whitehaven football team.

All in all, this turned out to be a great game. WHS dominated the 1st-half and appeared primed to just throw(umm, pass) Collierville right off the field. CHS regrouped and won the 2nd-half, assisted by numerous Whitehaven penalties/conservative 2nd-half offense. Nevertheless, CHS took advantage of the situation and executed to near-perfection. Unfortunately (I say), they just came up a little bit short.

I wish Whitehaven had lost this game, for two reasons:

1) I'm Selfish. Of course I'm gonna pull for my Dragons.

2) It would have exposed Whitehaven's inept (in my opinion) coaching staff, for its ultra-conservative, scared offensive approach.

3) Championship teams play to their strengths. Apparently, Whitehaven's coaching staff never got that memo.

Food for though on WHS coaching.......

I think it's tough to be too critical of a coach and his staff. From a spectaors perspective, we see the game unfold and wonder why the coach didn't call a certain play, why a player didn't do a certain thing....and so on.

Many times, (not always of course) there's reasons that cause these decisions to be made. Why won't WHS throw more to take advantage of their talent? 60-70 percent passing offense? I don't know. Seems to me that would enhance their success also. But we always have to keep in mind that the coaches get to see alot of game film, they know their players better (or should) than the fans do. They also have a game plan. And the game plan doesn't always end with each game. Perhaps the team needs to develop a better running game to compete in the playoffs. So rather than focus on a heavy dose of passing attack now, maybe the coah is trying to establish a point in his players minds that they need to play physical football (which is a characteristic of a running game) instead of a more finesse attitude that typically comes from a pass oriented offense. Normally, championships are won by physical play and a balanced attack. If WHS gets into the playoffs with a predominat passing attack, then come up against a team that can stop the pass, will they have a strong enough ground game to get through to the next round?

I have no idea what the reasons for WHS's game plans are. Nor do I lose any sleep over it. But I do think it's important to keep an open mind about why a coach does what he does. If their plans were transparent to the fans, I think the opposing coaches would get them figured out too, and then it would be very difficult to win.

Oh, they did win. So they did accomplish an important objective with that.

TraderB:

I agree with you in this regard. I think Whitehaven COULD have scored more points. This was a game of halves. WHitehaven owned the first half, Collierville had the 2nd half. I also would like Whitehaven to throw more ... 60/40 because I think Whitehaven has a definate advantage with their WR's and passing game. I'm NOT going to blast the coaching staff however for their play calling. I'm going to blast the OFFENSE for not executing in the 2nd half. The offense went 3 and out on every series in the 2nd half. No 1st downs whatsoever, and it was NOT the coaches fault. Time and time again ... the offense would get positive yardage on first down and then have a blonde moment. next thing you know ... it's second and long or third and long. Even when they went 2 yards on 1st down and 2 yards on second down ... When the QB needed the WR's to catch the ball, what did they do? Drop it you say? ... You are correct. Time and time again, the offense needed for the WR's to catch crucial cathes and the QB does the unthinkable ... he hits them in their hands. Now why on earth would he do that? I agree ... they could have thrown the ball on 1st downs ... Collierville was looking for the run. But even then ... Whitehaven got positive yardage only to jump offsides on the next play. NO ... I'm laying that pitiful performance on the entire OFFENSE. 14 point lead to start the second half and your offense continually shoots itself in the foot.

KUDOS to the Whitehaven defense. BIG, BIG, BIG KUDOS. All night long, their offense goes three and out in the 2nd half ... AND THE DEFENSE ROSE TO THE OCCASION! The headline in the Saturday's sports section read correctly. Crunchfest! Both teams defenses played well. Whitehaven's offense played woefully in the 2nd half but the Collierville defense isn't chopped liver either. I was nervous all 2nd half when I watched Whitehaven's offense self destruct over and over again only to see that stellar, fast as lightning, will hit you in your mouth DEFENSE! 3 and out, 3 and out, 3 and out is all the Whitehaven 'O' could muster and the 'D' would come in and save the day. Even when the Collierville coaching staff discovered a play that was effective late in the 4th quarter ... the 'D' still prevailed. As spectacular as the 'O' could be with those tall wide outs and the tall QB. The defense IS spectactular!

Good game. Both teams. Whitehaven won and I'm happy. WHEN our offense clicks in both halfs in a big game. Watchout! These types of games that carry you in a long season. We have a bye this week and then we play Hamilton ... that's plenty of time to hone up on some things and STOP with the penalties!

TraderB ... you don't go 4-1 against the competition Whitehaven has faced and fire the coaching staff! We have a good season going and we will be in the playoffs, and we will go pretty far. How far, is up to the team ... but with that defense ALONE ... we will go far. The offense will improve. This team will be a nightmare for anybody to face. They may not throw as often as you would like ... but even so ... execution ... not play calling is the issue.

hey! that means you can come watch WSHS play Fairley....... /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

I see the game is at J.P. Freeman. There is a good chance I may be at that game. I wasn't going to go to a game this week ... but this looks like it has the potential to be a good one. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />