Smyrna (3-2) Vs. Gallatin (2-2)

seantn_4

GWave..I'll agree with most of what you said but the fire was there from the D late in the game. Not once did they play like they were out of the game. The intensity and hits that Gray took late in the 3rd quarter were not push downs. On his last TD to Wilkes Gleaves flat laid him out. I was amazed that he was able to get up. It was a viscious decleater. If Gallatin plays (and after the last 2 weeks I expect nothing less) with the same intensity and desire I think they will do good the rest of the season. Not going to give a prediction thats up to the team as to how they want to finish.

Smyrna thanks for the game. Winning is the name of the game and you guys gave great effort. The FRESHMAN TB looks like a Sr. how do you guys keep coming up with all these stud freshmen every few years. The fans that sat close by me were very nice, polite and respectful. A classy group of fans no doubt. Gray is the real deal thats the 1st time I got to see him live in a game. Should be called JOE COOL, he just didn't get rattled and you could tell it was his team. Good luck the rest of the season and thanks for the experience.

Gallatin keep up that NO QUIT attitude absolutely loved it. I was as pumped at the end of the game as I was at the 1st. Thanks for the team effort. Nothing to hang you heads down about at all. Get reaady for Antioch they will be in Gallatin real soon.

Let me clarify Wave88, I was not talking about what was happening on the field but rather the sidelines. I thought that the defense played hard throughout even with the scales being vastly tipped in the Bulldogs favor with athleticism and momentum. Just like you said the hit by Gleaves was huge. And Gray was running as hard as he could to get out of bounds or slide to avoid the hits. Smart Qb no doubt. What I was refering too is the no emotion on the sidelines from the defense or other members when they came off the field. I only saw one member of the team get emotional by slamming his helmet on the bench. I saw no close huddle groups by the defense, no words of encouragement by seniors or anything visible. You have been watching this sport for a longtime as have I and you know that is not typical of any Gallatin squad. Back a few years ago and beyond even getting behind by one touchdown produced some sort of visible reaction. I remember players crying and being in total shock after small margins of victory by opposing teams. This was the quietest I have ever heard a Gallatin team after getting waxed at home. Now I am not saying it is coaching or players, each team is different, but it was just not what I am accustomed too. It looked very apathetic is all I was trying to say.

That being said I still thought we were in good postion but just couldn't make a big defensive play. Which is better than it was when we started the year when we were no where near the play or ball in some cases. No matter what anyone says, Boo and Holder did about as good as anybody defending Wilkes one on one. Wilkes made some very good tough catches that 99% of the todays Tenneessee highschool recievers wouldn't make. He never just blew past anybody he just adjusted very well to the pass. ( and he might have pushed off once or twice...sorry but its true) Whatever the case, noone left on our schedule has that much talent and I see all as winable if we practice hard and continue to improve.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me clarify Wave88, I was not talking about what was happening on the field but rather the sidelines. I thought that the defense played hard throughout even with the scales being vastly tipped in the Bulldogs favor with athleticism and momentum. Just like you said the hit by Gleaves was huge. And Gray was running as hard as he could to get out of bounds or slide to avoid the hits. Smart Qb no doubt. What I was refering too is the no emotion on the sidelines from the defense or other members when they came off the field. I only saw one member of the team get emotional by slamming his helmet on the bench. I saw no close huddle groups by the defense, no words of encouragement by seniors or anything visible. You have been watching this sport for a longtime as have I and you know that is not typical of any Gallatin squad. Back a few years ago and beyond even getting behind by one touchdown produced some sort of visible reaction. I remember players crying and being in total shock after small margins of victory by opposing teams. This was the quietest I have ever heard a Gallatin team after getting waxed at home. Now I am not saying it is coaching or players, each team is different, but it was just not what I am accustomed too. It looked very apathetic is all I was trying to say.

That being said I still thought we were in good postion but just couldn't make a big defensive play. Which is better than it was when we started the year when we were no where near the play or ball in some cases. No matter what anyone says, Boo and Holder did about as good as anybody defending Wilkes one on one. Wilkes made some very good tough catches that 99% of the todays Tenneessee highschool recievers wouldn't make. He never just blew past anybody he just adjusted very well to the pass. ( and he might have pushed off once or twice...sorry but its true) Whatever the case, noone left on our schedule has that much talent and I see all as winable if we practice hard and continue to improve.

I understand and agree with you. Regardless of the outcome it will be a benefit to have played tis game. It lets the players know that just because you beat a team 38-0 doesn't for a second allow you to slack in anything, practice or game time. I think they get that message loud and clear and should stay focused on each game 1 at a time.

Gallatin is a well coached team. As an outsider looking in I did not see any problems with schemes etc other than the one on one deal against wilkes.

The truth is hs football goes in cycles and you have to play with the talent that shows up at your school pure and simple. You can coach them up and get all you can but in the end most of the time the best team wins.

The difference in over all talent was what caused Gallatin to lose nothing else. Smyrnas over all team speed was very evident. Smyrna as noted has a pretty good qb also who is tough as nails.

Also you have an athlete playing qb that is clearly not a threat to throw much but is a heck of a runner.

Gallatin will be fine these cycles pass.

Gallatin is a well coached team. As an outsider looking in I did not see any problems with schemes etc other than the one on one deal against wilkes.

The truth is hs football goes in cycles and you have to play with the talent that shows up at your school pure and simple. You can coach them up and get all you can but in the end most of the time the best team wins.

The difference in over all talent was what caused Gallatin to lose nothing else. Smyrnas over all team speed was very evident. Smyrna as noted has a pretty good qb also who is tough as nails.

Also you have an athlete playing qb that is clearly not a threat to throw much but is a heck of a runner.

Gallatin will be fine these cycles pass.

A very astute observation, 82cat... how can it be so clear yet the right people not see it!