Oak Ridge vs. Clinton

boyfromsi

I've always heard great things about Coach Stevens ... that is why I was shocked to hear from someone there what actually happened . I've never heard of any kind of behavior like this while he was at AE . Could Coach Stevens be feeling a lot of stress about his job that led to this ?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't the NCAA pass a rule against fans on the field after a game just for this reason? In fact, I think I remember that they fined Kentucky $25,000 earlier this season for rushing onto the field after a big victory. I think that is what is coming for the TSSAA. What do you think Ronnie Carter has to say about this entire event? OR could pay some consequences to the TSSAA if this is founded.

Ole Dad

QUOTE(footballfan999 @ Oct 2 2007 - 09:18 AM)

I would think the administrator that gave permission would bear some responsibility in all this. Why on earth would you let Clinton fans on the field?

were talking about 15 - 20 kids at the most. they didnt rush field , they asked premission before they went onto field. why would you blame administrator he didnt push the kids , stevens did. oak ridge had a bunch more fans on field than clinton. most schools have fans come onto field after game. when oak ridge got beat by anderson co. in jamboree the AC students rush the field and no one from oak ridge said a word about that.

I think you're missing the point. My comments were made in regard to all fans being banned from the football field in NCAA now following all games and as such have large potential fines to offending schools. I wasn't blaming Clinton fans for the incident. Obviously the OR coach and administration is responsible for their actions and the subsequent consequences of such. I just feel that a ban is coming and this may be the catalyst for it.

Ole Dad

were talking about 15 - 20 kids at the most. they didnt rush field , they asked premission before they went onto field. why would you blame administrator he didnt push the kids , stevens did. oak ridge had a bunch more fans on field than clinton. most schools have fans come onto field after game. when oak ridge got beat by anderson co. in jamboree the AC students rush the field and no one from oak ridge said a word about that.

Didn't the NCAA pass a rule against fans on the field after a game just for this reason? In fact, I think I remember that they fined Kentucky $25,000 earlier this season for rushing onto the field after a big victory. I think that is what is coming for the TSSAA. What do you think Ronnie Carter has to say about this entire event? OR could pay some consequences to the TSSAA if this is founded.

I feel for the Clinton kids in this situation. Assuming they were only going out to congratulate their team for the tremendous effort and not going to cause trouble (goal post etc) and had permission, they were not doing anything wrong. I am glad there is an investigation and I support discipline of coach Stevens if he acted as described. I also hope that if a Clinton coach was instigating vandalism he will be disciplined as well. I hope everyone realizes how ugly this could have gotten. It sounds like Stevens acted inappropriately. From what Blopesmate stated (if correct), an authority figure suggesting tearing down a goalpost could have literally caused a riot with some OR players and fans fealing justified (right or wrong) in protecting their home field. This could have been much worse than a goalpost or someone getting pushed. I hope that the conduct of the OR coach is handled appropriately, but I hope that IF there were inappropriate actions by a Clinton coach, it is not overlooked simply because of the problems on the other side.

I've always heard great things about Coach Stevens ... that is why I was shocked to hear from someone there what actually happened . I've never heard of any kind of behavior like this while he was at AE . Could Coach Stevens be feeling a lot of stress about his job that led to this ?

This is a very unfortunate situation, but it is not the first time Coach Stevens has verbally cursed out an opposing coach after a football game. During the 2004 season when Coach Stevens was at Austin East he accused a Scott High coach of shaking his hand too hard after a 48-28 victory over the Highlanders. He wanted to know "what is your F-bomb problem?" Then he became very aggresive towards the coach continually calling Scott High's coach several expletives that obviously can not be repeated. An official letter was sent from the Scott High Administration to that of Austin East and should have been placed in his permanent file.

While it is unfortunate, it is not the first time Coach Stevens has portrayed himself and the fine schools he represents in a bad light and should not be expected to be the last as history will repeat itself as it has in this case.

If that is true, then I wonder why it wasn't reviewed by Ken Green when he decided to hire Coach Stevens? I wonder if Mr. Green shared that info with Mr. Bailey and the school board? It is amazing that Bailey fired a teacher recently (for being mean to her students) and they hire a coach who has a history of cursing out opposing coaches. Makes you wonder what is going on. I support OR sports as much as anyone but can't for the life of me understand the actions of the administration on most matters regarding athletics. Oh well, standby for more misinformation from the top.

Ole Dad

This is a very unfortunate situation, but it is not the first time Coach Stevens has verbally cursed out an opposing coach after a football game. During the 2004 season when Coach Stevens was at Austin East he accused a Scott High coach of shaking his hand too hard after a 48-28 victory over the Highlanders. He wanted to know "what is your F-bomb problem?" Then he became very aggresive towards the coach continually calling Scott High's coach several expletives that obviously can not be repeated. An official letter was sent from the Scott High Administration to that of Austin East and should have been placed in his permanent file.

While it is unfortunate, it is not the first time Coach Stevens has portrayed himself and the fine schools he represents in a bad light and should not be expected to be the last as history will repeat itself as it has in this case.

I don't expect anything from this adminastration but a cover-up. After all Dr. Bailey and Mr. Green hired Coach Steven(over the selection committee's objection), how would that make them look. And while Chuck Carringer(the principal) is a good person he still works for the school board. And Bailey abd Green are the Chairman and asst. chairman of the school board.

Clinton played a good ball game Friday night, gave good effort and was in the game, they are certainly better then the past several years, at least they were on this night. BUT, can they keep up this good play, starting with Halls this week, they have a chance to finish 2nd in the 2-4A Region to Maryville, but they can't suffer post Oak Ridge letdown, the Oak Ridge game is a rivalry game, but it does not count as a Region win or loss for Clinton. The real story will be told as far as Clinton's program improving is if they can win the rest of their games this year. Oak Ridge did not play especailly well and it was good that some players decided to step up those last three minutes and rescue the Wildcats. BUT, they now face one of the toughest Regions in the State in 2-5A, starting Friday night with a very tough, athletic and physical McMinn County team, their level of play will have to be considerably better then the penalty ridden, misfiring effort against Clinton to win this game and all of the following games. That being said, it is now time to move on....and let the after game controversy be settled by the administrators of each school after a through research of the facts, not the hearsay or rumors of each side, then and only then can a fair settlement be reached between the two schools. There were errors on both sides, it takes two to fight, so mutual apologies and reconciliation are in order or it might be time to cancel the series as they did when it reached a rough point in 1957.

I know one thing for certain. The teacher who was fired and now has a lawsuit against The OR Schools now has a lock on her case. Her lawyers have to be the happiest guys around.

Ole Dad

Hmmm, just like Clinton the opposing team lost, but it's the winning coach who loses his temper. Makes you wonder. I bet Scott County thought they should have won that game, just like Clinton.

I know one thing for certain. The teacher who was fired and now has a lawsuit against The OR Schools now has a lock on her case. Her lawyers have to be the happiest guys around.

Ole Dad

I was just thinking the same thing this morning. They(OR) have set a precedent with her, how could they overlook this situation, if it is true.