Soccer Injuries

VolunteerGeneral

I think it should be required equipment for all players and I feel very strongly about it. Think about it for a minute: they require shinguards to protect legs and a leg injury while very painful is not life threatening and normally will heal in less than a year. A head injury may last a lifetime and ruin that players quality of living or even be fatal. I've seen 2 head injuries in the past 2 seasons that ended those girls soccer career. It's very unfortunate and scary. The current headgear is not perfect and detractors will say that it doesn't provide full protection, but studies have shown that it does help.

The older players strongly object to the idea and my daughter goes ballistic at the mention of it. The only way that this can happen is for the USYSA/TSSAA/TSSA to make it required equipment and if the kids start wearing them from the time they start playing and everyone is wearing them, it's just another piece of equipment and will not be a big deal. But, if you ask kids to wear them when everyone else isn't, then you have to fight the dork factor.

Governing body of sports need to step up. Maybe the TSSAA instead of trying to restrict the number of club players per team or the amount of time they can practice, should actually look at something that can make the game safer for the participants and not change the quality of play.

I agree but my opinion is based on past experiance with my son. He sustained 2 concussions, a skull fracture and orbit fracture during his high school career. I bought him head gear and he refused to wear it. Luckily he has not suffered any brain dysfunction but we were lucky. If it was a mandatory piece of equipment the injuries would not have been as severe.

Also my daughter recently had a knee reconstruction for ACL/ MCL tear. Does anyone have any ideas as to why females are at such a high risk for this injury?

PS: Luckily I have good health insurance.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree but my opinion is based on past experiance with my son. He sustained 2 concussions, a skull fracture and orbit fracture (he is very aggressive and now playing college soccer) during his high school career. I bought him head gear and as you said, I was a "dork" for buying it and he refused to wear it. Luckily he has not suffered any brain dysfunction (getting good grades) but we were lucky. If it was a mandatory piece of equipment the injuries would not have been as severe.

Also my daughter recently had a knee reconstruction for MCL tear. Does anyone have any ideas as to why females are at such a high risk for this injury?

Ilovethisgame:

There's now a vast amount of literature out there explaining why females are more prone to knee ligament injuries. The reasons boil down, if I remember right, two general explanations. One, the shape of the female lower body and muscle imbalances naturally place more stress on the cruciate ligaments. Second, the female foot fall (locked leg versus bent knee) also places more stress on the same connective tissue.

There are now training programs everywhere that can address these issues. I would recommend you talk with your orthopedic surgeon and ask him if he knows of local trainers / programs that can help your daughter avoid future injury.

Finally, really sorry to hear about your daughter's injury. I hope she comes back soon and strong.

I have been involved with the care of athletes for 30+ years. Soccer does account for a large number of female injuries, especially involving the knee. I use to think ladies basketball was the worse, but my impression is soccer is much worse. Anytime a sport involves sudden stops, cuts, etc., the ACL can be an issue. Poorly called games that become much more physical lend to the problem and jeopardy for injury. Also patellar pain (knee cap) issues are very common in females. This may simply be from overuse in the younger athletes to actual dislocations of the patella. It is amazing to me that more MCL injuries don't occur simply from the number of times to players kick the ball simultaneously, which stresses the MCL. However these repeated stresses do increase the strength of the ligaments as well. The reality is that these types of injuries will always occur and unforunately there is no good prevention except strength training. There is a ton of information about this on the web.

• 2 weeks later...

My daughter is playing soccer (as a Junior) for the first time since 5th grade. She has played basketball all these years. I have never seen so many injuries in one season on one team. Our team has had a concussion, knee injury, several sprained ankles (including my daughter). The sport has become much more physical at the high school level.

I agree that there are teams that play dirty, but that the refs need to call them on it early in the game to stop the trend from happening. I see the same thing happen in basketball (games getting very physical when not corralled). The coaches own part of it also. I'm fortunate that our coach does not encourage nor allow 'dirty' play.

I also think another factor is the disparity in size of girls on the field. You can have a 4'10 ninth grader going head-to-head with a 5'11 to 6'0 junior/senior.

Don't know the answer, but the sport is certainly more 'dangerous' that I had anticipated as a parent.

As a referee, I'd be curious as to how you would propose to remove the subjectivity of a foul. Someone still has to determine that it took place.

And the clear denominator for games getting out of control is not the referee, but the players. Certainly, the referees need to do their job to call fouls, but the pressure to win and the style of play that leads to games that get out of hand comes from the players and coaches - not the referee.

Pulling a shirt or a pair of shorts either happened, or it didn't. The infringing player did so to gain an advantage, whether they did or not is subjective. The objective call is a foul was committed. Last week, I watched a game in which a player was nearly stripped of her clothing, 10 feet from the center ref...no call, ten minutes later, the call was made the other way.

When a player is goin up for header, when they are pushed from behind by the defender, there should be no interpretation here, the foul is dangerous and should be discouraged by a call.

When two players are going for a ball and it turns into a wrestling match above the waist, there is no subjectivity. Pick the infringing party and blow your whistle.

The earlier you get control of this in the game, the earlier both teams are goin to realize, this is a soccer game that will be won by playing with your feet and your developed skills. If you were interested in a sport that involved your hands, there are plenty other to choose from.

Pulling a shirt or a pair of shorts either happened, or it didn't. The infringing player did so to gain an advantage, whether they did or not is subjective. The objective call is a foul was committed. Last week, I watched a game in which a player was nearly stripped of her clothing, 10 feet from the center ref...no call, ten minutes later, the call was made the other way.

When a player is goin up for header, when they are pushed from behind by the defender, there should be no interpretation here, the foul is dangerous and should be discouraged by a call.

When two players are going for a ball and it turns into a wrestling match above the waist, there is no subjectivity. Pick the infringing party and blow your whistle.

The earlier you get control of this in the game, the earlier both teams are goin to realize, this is a soccer game that will be won by playing with your feet and your developed skills. If you were interested in a sport that involved your hands, there are plenty other to choose from.

Canes,

I'm with you on your comments.

Face it, to all of you that have had girl soccer players over the past 4 or 5 years the game is dangerous. The reason is the girls are getting meaner all the time!!!! They are supposed to play a good clean game, which is not allowed anymore, they don't like certain girls, they don't like being told what to do, they constantly cuss and trash talk each other and the only way that will stop is if they are not pushed constantly by parents and coaches to be the best!! The game of soccer must be played with girls who can anticipate what is going to happen not just girls who are physical and mean. And I know alot of girls want scholorships to go to college and feel that they need to play "hard and dirty" to be looked at, that is wrong especially when it comes to the parents that are pushing them to get these scholorships, Face it if your child wants to go to college and you don't have the iq of an idiot you will figure out a way to get them there without all the stress on sports.

Good call on the pulling a shirt or shorts. If I see it, its a yellow card, no questions asked.

Yet as to the jumping for a header, now you ARE into a subjective area. Whose in position first? Are they both moving in a direction or jumping straight up? What position are the bodies in? Is one jumping more into the other who is stationary? Is the use of arms for balance? Is the use of arms to protect oneself from an opponent jumping into them? Is the use of arms to gain advantage? Is someone undercutting another? Is the view of the call from the side, or directly in front of or behind the call - which makes the push much harder to see? All are decisions that have to be made before a whistle is blown. And, what is the position of the referee in comparison to you sitting in the stands? Do you have a different angle - chances are what you see is completely different that what the ref sees? The one call you can count on (from me anyway) is the elbow in the back of the neck while jumping. I hate that maneuver.

Two players wrestling? Sometimes you don't always see who starts it, or when the hard play became "wrestling". Or it just might be subjective to pick who actually started the "wrestling". Or are they both accepting the play for control of the ball? What if neither gained any advantage. Do I whistle who gave the last push/pull/wrestling move, or the one just before that. Obviously, I didn't see this play, but its probably going to get a whistle. Sounds like simultaneous fouls to me. But it will probably be a rather subjective whistle to one team or the other, or both.

Our job should be to make the game safer and fairer for both teams - and that includes the use of a whistle.

Jumping for header...the defender runs up pushes a player standing stationary in the back. Everyone on the field sees the player lunge awlwardly forward like a marionette, and...no whistle. This is a dangerous play and there should be no "interpretation". As the years go by, I see less whistles on this call.

Twp Players wrestling. The game is played without your hands. This should be stopped immediately. I could care less if the whistle is blown 17 time sin the first minute of play. The point will then be made this is a game played without your hands. Perhaps this is the type of game some referees don't mind watching. That is your opinion. When they get to the next level, let them deal with it. THis is perhaps the largest reaon the players become mean on the field. It should be addressed pre-game with he captains and coaches and enforced immediately when the whistle blows.

I repeat, the more the subjectivity can be removed, the better and more talented the playerrs will become.

As you described it, it appears it should have been a call - if the jumping player "pushed" the standing player.

But really, now - were they actually wrestling? Or were they just pushing and holding and kicking. I've already said I'd have probably blown the whistle. But I shouldn't have to go through the rule book in a pregame meeting with anyone. The players should know the rules before they step onto the pitch, which is their own and their coaches responsibility, not mine.

Teams that play "dirty" usually get away with more with referees who don't blow the whistle as they should - but don't blame the referees because players play dirty. Place the blame where it belongs, with the coaches who allow it , your daughters who play that way, and even parents who encourage it on the sidelines. Referees aren't to blame because a girl reaches out and pulls a jersey in the penalty box in the last minute of a game. The girl who pulled the jersey is to blame. The referee is only the scapegoat. 50% of the people in the stands say good call, and 50% of the people in the stands say bad call. Face it - the only determining factor in whether you think it was a good call or bad call is determined by which team your daughter plays on.

But let's go the other way for a minute. How objective can you or most fans be in watching a game. When was the last time that your daughter laid out a player on the field and you screamed at the referee for not calling a foul on her. And when was the last time an opposing player wrecklessly tackled your daughter and you yelled "good defense" and didn't want a foul? You didn't. And you don't. And the players or coaches don't admit to me when I make a wrong out of bounds call when they know their team was the last one to touch it. Its called bias.

Referees should be the least biased people on the field. I have no preference who wins or loses a game. Nobody else in the entire stadium can say this. And because of this, I don't even see the same game as you do. Not only from a visual perspective because our position on the field and angle to the play is different, but because our perspective on who wins or loses the game is different from everyone else.

What you call subjectivity, I call judgement - and is required by referees. It involves experience, knowledge of the rules, foul recognition, being in position and the desire to make the game better. Take the judgement - or subjectivity as you like to call it - out of the referees hands, and you should probably go ahead and get rid of the referees, and let the players, coaches and fans make the calls. Good luck with that game.

And by the way, talented players come from ability, training, coaching and practice - not whether or not a referee blows his whistle.

Wrestling...when a player's efforts to run are hindered by trying to remove the defeder's hands off of them, I consider that wrestling. When a player cannot run full stride because someone is trying to impede their passage, that is not playing the ball. The defender's efforts are at stopping the player, not playing the ball. I don't consider that soccer, I consider that "keep-way".

Yes. I do blame the center for permitting one or both team's to play "dirty". You have the only authority on the field for 80 minutes. After watching our daughters play the game for over ten years now, the games that seem to be "clean" are the games that are taken control of from the start by the center. I have witnessed too many games in which the center permits to teams to "play on" and one player after another decides to take matters into their own hands. Eventually resultingin a negative situation that was a referee's responsibility to stop when it first started.

I realize how difficult your position is, no matter what you may seem to call, 50% of the people are not happy. Well, let me surprise you. If more ref's would call it early, they would more than likely make the players, parents and coaches happy as the game would be decided on soccer and not on size, or occassionally, who is left onthe field after the cards start flying whenthe game got out of control.

Regarding your bias, I am glad you feel that way. I can tell you for a fac, that is not the same for all your fellow friends in yellow.

Subjectivity – interpretation based on feelings rather than facts or evidence

Judgment – an opinion based on a reliable guess

To repeat myself, moree often than not, this is a black and white situation that you seem to find gray. A shirt was pulled with the intent to gain an advantage. Several weeks ago, I watche a defender grab a forward's jersey and then fell on the ground still holding onto the outstretched jersey and was drug several feet. Inside the box. No call.

Not meaning to interrupt the conversation between the parent and the ref, but since both of you seem to know the game well and the rules well; i have a few questions for both of you..

During the game, when given a penalty kick and the player kicks the ball before the whistle is blown should she be told to wait for the whistle before kicking next time and given a second chance, or should their be a turn-over to the other team.

Second question, is it wrong when this happens 3 or 4 times in a game for the same team, and everytime it happens the player is just given a second chance, or should the team have realized to wait for the whistle the first time it happened...

I played a close, important game last thursday night and this happened 4 times during the game. (that is 4 times for the same team) One was a penalty shot in the box, and the girl was given a second kick after missing the shot. The ref. seemed to pat her on the back and tell her to wait for the whistle, but this shot meant alot .. she missed again, but was that a bad call; should the ball been turned over to the other team? Or should she be given another shot because she didn't wait for the whistle? .... the point is, the shot was important for a CLOSE game, and could have changed the outcome of the entire game ... it could have lost the game for us, was it an unfair call? /mad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" />

While I know it is frustrating, the rule does say that you must wait for the whistle. The ref will ask that the keeper is ready, then blow the whistle for the PK to be taken.

On a free kick, you don't have to wait for the whistle unless the offensive team has asked for 10 yards, or the ref has stopped play for an injury or a card. In those cases, if the girl takes the kick, she does get to take it again. If the clock was not stopped, or the team did not ask for 10 yards, then she shouldn't be able to take the kick again.

I agree but my opinion is based on past experiance with my son. He sustained 2 concussions, a skull fracture and orbit fracture during his high school career. I bought him head gear and he refused to wear it. Luckily he has not suffered any brain dysfunction but we were lucky. If it was a mandatory piece of equipment the injuries would not have been as severe.

Also my daughter recently had a knee reconstruction for ACL/ MCL tear. Does anyone have any ideas as to why females are at such a high risk for this injury?

There have also been studies done which reflect that ligaments are affected by hormone levels. A large percentage of these injuries occur during the pre-ovulation phase. Curse those hormones!!!