Soccer Injuries

VolunteerGeneral

There have also been studies done which reflect that ligaments are affected by hormone levels. A large percentage of these injuries occur during the pre-ovulation phase. Curse those hormones!!!

A lot of research has been surfacing...

Go to page 4 in the Slide Tackling post and see Oct 5 2007 - 11:16...I added a rather lengthy post specifically on this topic. You can also find out a tremendous amount by simply going onto Google and searching ACL & Female.

Been through 2 bilateral ACL reparis as well as 2 other reconstructive knee surgeries. Time heals most wounds. I still run everyday....years and years later.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I know it is frustrating, the rule does say that you must wait for the whistle. The ref will ask that the keeper is ready, then blow the whistle for the PK to be taken.

On a free kick, you don't have to wait for the whistle unless the offensive team has asked for 10 yards, or the ref has stopped play for an injury or a card. In those cases, if the girl takes the kick, she does get to take it again. If the clock was not stopped, or the team did not ask for 10 yards, then she shouldn't be able to take the kick again.

That is how I understand it as well. The only thing I will add that will cause a "re-start" is if the ball was not placed at the site of the infraction, in this case I have seen the team awarded the kick a re-kick if the center didn't like where the ball was spotted and "quick-kicked" from.

Well, thanks for the in-put and the help. I just wondered, because it did happen 3 or 4 times

in this specific game, and in my own opinion(not knowing all of the rules on the kicks) I thought

it should have been a "turn-over". Thanks for the help, and good luck to all of these teams and refs

in District Tournaments this week!!

thanks for bringing up keepers and injuries, IMO too little attention is given to the safety of keepers. I've seen them involved in collisions, kicked in the face, undercut, etc. with some frequency with not so much a warning, let alone a whistle or card. Yesterday a Vanderbilt player ran into the UT keeper with fairly light contact inside the '18' and a foul was given. I do feel that there is some room for improvement in enforcement of the rules regarding keepers.

thanks for bringing up keepers and injuries, IMO too little attention is given to the safety of keepers. I've seen them involved in collisions, kicked in the face, undercut, etc. with some frequency with not so much a warning, let alone a whistle or card. Yesterday a Vanderbilt player ran into the UT keeper with fairly light contact inside the '18' and a foul was given. I do feel that there is some room for improvement in enforcement of the rules regarding keepers.

As a father of a Keeper, I agree. My daughter tore her ACL as a sophmore in a collision and this season alone she has received several hits to the ribs and 1 kick to the groin area. In the first instance she was out of the box and this seasons injuries have been inside the box. The refs act as if, if ours daughters want be a goalie, be prepared to be injured. In one of the instances where she was kicked in the ribs, I questioned the ref at halftime as to how severe he thought her rib injury was and he became defensive as he was more concerned with my questioning his calls. Also many of these refs need to retire. We have some in West Tennessee that can no longer get up and down the field.

But back on the subject. I know injuries happen, But cards need to be issued when violations occur.

If I were a goalie, I would wear as much upper body protection as I could, including protective head gear. Below the waist, hip pads - minimal shin guards. Today's goalies need to be quick and fast off of their line, always anticipating the thru ball that will require them to come out. More collisions these days than in the past. Good technique and a loud voice will always help in those 50/50 situations.

If I were a goalie, I would wear as much upper body protection as I could, including protective head gear. Below the waist, hip pads - minimal shin guards. Today's goalies need to be quick and fast off of their line, always anticipating the thru ball that will require them to come out. More collisions these days than in the past. Good technique and a loud voice will always help in those 50/50 situations.

Funny. First thing I thought when I saw that photo of the keeper was that she either doesn't dive for balls or has a skin that is extremely resilient. One nice tackle and she will have abrasions that will likely leed to scars. I cannot recall the last time I saw girls keeper for a club team without long sleeves. Most wear lightweight long pants regarless of the heat for the same reasons.

I guess it comes down to style versus fashion for some.

The rules say a goalie can't be charged "in any manner" while in possession of the ball, yet many such calls are defended as "50/50' balls.

The above quote says it all...WHILE IN POSSESSION!! As a former keeper and now a keeper instructor getting hurt goes with the position. Often times a keeper is coming out for a ball and a player coming in, the GKer gains possession and the field player can't stop in time. A foul yes, a card NO if the intent was to play the ball. If a collision occurs in the spirit of the game then NO CARD.

Also how many of the keepers playing have had specialized training so they KNOW how to protect themselves? That is one area that has to be tought technically and many times is over looked. I am a stickler for technical, technical and more technical so when they put themselves in harms way they will be doing it right and protecting themselves. In the above scenario if the keeper is taught correctly then the field player gets the bad end of the collision and it isn't the intent to injure them. I know the techniques work as I have been on the end of players rushing in. If not for the training from all of my coaches, then I could have suffered alot more injuries then what I did or they would have been worse.

Referees also don't know alot of times how to call what a keeper is doing within the rules and what is a foul. I have had a referee tell my keeper to not bring her knee up when she leaves the ground to go for a high ball. Said if she did it again he would red card her. The ref just asked my keeper to expose herself to an injury when the intent of the leg being brought up is two fold...1. to help get the player higher in the jump and 2. to protect from incoming players who may try to under cut her.

Long story short...If you play keeper then have good insurance.

The above quote says it all...WHILE IN POSSESSION!! As a former keeper and now a keeper instructor getting hurt goes with the position. Often times a keeper is coming out for a ball and a player coming in, the GKer gains possession and the field player can't stop in time. A foul yes, a card NO if the intent was to play the ball. If a collision occurs in the spirit of the game then NO CARD.

Also how many of the keepers playing have had specialized training so they KNOW how to protect themselves? That is one area that has to be tought technically and many times is over looked. I am a stickler for technical, technical and more technical so when they put themselves in harms way they will be doing it right and protecting themselves. In the above scenario if the keeper is taught correctly then the field player gets the bad end of the collision and it isn't the intent to injure them. I know the techniques work as I have been on the end of players rushing in. If not for the training from all of my coaches, then I could have suffered alot more injuries then what I did or they would have been worse.

Referees also don't know alot of times how to call what a keeper is doing within the rules and what is a foul. I have had a referee tell my keeper to not bring her knee up when she leaves the ground to go for a high ball. Said if she did it again he would red card her. The ref just asked my keeper to expose herself to an injury when the intent of the leg being brought up is two fold...1. to help get the player higher in the jump and 2. to protect from incoming players who may try to under cut her.

Long story short...If you play keeper then have good insurance.

"Also how many of the keepers playing have had specialized training so they KNOW how to protect themselves?"

Well...one would start by dressing correctly.

"Also how many of the keepers playing have had specialized training so they KNOW how to protect themselves?"

Well...one would start by dressing correctly.

I don't understand. The clothing is not important. If you are refering to the padding a keeper can wear...then it still makes no difference. It is paper thin and made more for landing or sliding then for collisions. It isn't like we are talking football pads here which are made for collisions. The head gear I agree with. Not only from collisions, but kicks to head or hitting the post. My U14 keeper hit her head on the post this past weekend and luckily it was a big bump, but could have been split open. Most players will not wear it because of the look. But I would be in favor of them being mandatory through high school for all players. Gloves are a MUST and the brands that have plastic spines in the fingers are the best for preventing injuries.

Again this postion and how to play it correctly is about training. It is the most under trained position on the team because alot of coaches don't know how to train them. If you don't know how to teach them properly then swallow your pride and ask someone that does.