Melrose's #32 is pulled from game by father

highschoolking

#32 Casey Calvin won the starting runningback job in week 3 of The MIAA football season. For whatever reason Melrose coach Hubbard Alexander decided to go with the lesser talent #34 at starting runningback last night. This angered many fans and Calvin's father. It was midway through the first quarter when about 100-200 of the 2,000 fans in attendance immediately rose to their feet pointing. I thought there was a small fight or something, but the ramblings through the stands were #32 is gone. I look down at the sideline and Calvin and his father is headed for the exit gate. I personally don't condone that move, but I understand their side of it. The game of high school football has definetly passed Coach Hubbard Alexander by. I can't blame any parent who refuse to let their child get screwed over like that. There is a similar situation in college. It is simply evident that #2 Graig Cooper of The Miami Hurricanes is better than # 5 Javarius James. However James always starts. The politics in football is ridicolous. It is simple, the best 11 should play. If you have a 9th grade freshman that is more talented than a senior, then the freshman should start !

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, you are right. Anytime something goes wrong, the Parent should be there to make it right. Quitting on your teammates is always a good choice.

Well Mr. "I didn't read it all " , I said that his father pulled him from the game. He didn't want to leave. Next time you read a little more carefully and truly comprehend what you have read, before you make an assumption !

#32 Casey Calvin won the starting runningback job in week 3 of The MIAA football season. For whatever reason Melrose coach Hubbard Alexander decided to go with the lesser talent #34 at starting runningback last night. This angered many fans and Calvin's father. It was midway through the first quarter when about 100-200 of the 2,000 fans in attendance immediately rose to their feet pointing. I thought there was a small fight or something, but the ramblings through the stands were #32 is gone. I look down at the sideline and Calvin and his father is headed for the exit gate. I personally don't condone that move, but I understand their side of it. The game of high school football has definetly passed Coach Hubbard Alexander by. I can't blame any parent who refuse to let their child get screwed over like that. There is a similar situation in college. It is simply evident that #2 Graig Cooper of The Miami Hurricanes is better than # 5 Javarius James. However James always starts. The politics in football is ridicolous. It is simple, the best 11 should play. If you have a 9th grade freshman that is more talented than a senior, then the freshman should start !

SO TRUE , THE BETTR PLAYER SHOULD GET THE FIELD. NO MATER WHAT GRADE.

BUT, FOR THE CHILD INVOLVED.

IF, DAD ASKED THE SON IF HE WANTED TO LEAVE, AND CHILD SAYS YES.

THEN FINE, PARENT AND CHILD SHOULD LEAVE.

BUT IF CHILD DOESN'T WANNA LEAVE BUT PARENT INSISTS, THEN PARENT IS IN THE WRONG.

UNLESS YOU ARE THE COACH AND SEE HOW THIS CHILD PRACTICED ALL WEEK, AND KNOW HOW HE DID IN SCHOOL THAT WEEK OR ANYTHING ELSE FOR THAT MATTER, THEN YOU REALLY HAVE KNOW IDEA WHAT THE PROBLEM WAS.

OR IT VERY WELL COULD HAVE BEEN THE CASE OF COACH JUST BLOWING THE WHOLE THING.

I JUST HATE IT FOR THE KID.

HANG IN THERE KID. YOU WILL FIND YOUR PLACE OUT THERE.

I PRAY THAT EVERYTHING WORKS OUT FOR YOU AND ALL..............

its rather obvious, from the outside looking in, that melrose appears to be pretty much unraveling from the seams. is this a fair assumption, or should i hold my judgment?

oh well. glad toney got to give Christian Brothers their first loss in the bridges bowl, as he was quoted that he wanted to be the first to do so in an article in the commercial appeal. haha.

Yea

his son is the only one to ever play hs football and have a player his dad think is not as good as his son playing ahead of him.

never happens (sarcasm)

however as coach of the team the coach makes that decision and the parent ----- stays in stands with his mouth shut until him and his son gets home and then the father ---- keeps his mouth shut.

football teaches a lot of life lessons

number 1 is Life sometimes is not fair

Reminds me of a couple of other kids and parents I know.

Little Johnny don't get to play and his mommy and daddy pout about it and take him and leave for another school, where he doesn't fit in and earns the reputation as a quitter. Then later on in life when he doesn't like something his boss tells him, he gets mad and quits his job. Then, he ends up with a divorce because he gets in a disagreement with his wife ( hopefully this happens before he has children of his own, as I am convinced that stupid people should not breed and raise young. ) Everytime he faces adversity in his life he turns away instead of taking it head on because he has been raised to believe that wanting something means it should always happen with or without the effort to earn it.

I guess anytime life throws you a curve it is okay to stick your lower lip out , get redfaced and cry about it. His daddy needs to get a life and get over himself. I bet that I can tell you a little about the kid with having never seen him play. He is probably a fairly talented kid, possible potential at a small college scholarship, outside chance at a major college scholarship, but his daddy is convinced he is capable of winning the Heisman Trophy....is that close to being correct?

Bottomline: Coach makes decision on playing time, period. Daddy don't know what may have happened in practice.....or does he know? I bet Daddy was at practice, too. Probably saw Junior run a big TD against 2nd team defense. /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

I'm not trying to "threadjack" but I am a huge Hurricane fan and I think Cooper and James compliment each other very well. They are different type runners who really split carries pretty evenly. Watch out for the "U" in 2009!

As for the Melrose situation, well, they did win.........by a lot. I have absolutely no knowledge of what went on but I do know that sometimes more goes into a coaching decision than what goes on on the field. Anyway, I hope everything works out for the kid.

It`s hard to comment on the situation when you don`t know the details. The kid could have done something this week that could have caused the coach to not start him. He might have not practiced hard this week. The coach could have made the switch in order to motivate the player to get more out of him. I`m sure the coach had his reasons for doing what he did.

I certainly don`t think the father handled it properly. Leaving during the middle of the game was not the right thing to do.

It`s hard to comment on the situation when you don`t know the details. The kid could have done something this week that could have caused the coach to not start him. He might have not practiced hard this week. The coach could have made the switch in order to motivate the player to get more out of him. I`m sure the coach had his reasons for doing what he did.

I certainly don`t think the father handled it properly. Leaving during the middle of the game was not the right thing to do.

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />