south doyle- powell-

notright

ftbalfan06,

I think your posts show the biggest problem South Doyle faces. Poor attitude and lack of understanding of how things work in the REAL world of high school athletics. This isn't college football. All of these coaches are TEACHERS first and they are paid a pittance to coach. Do you really think that SD has the leverage to attract a George Quarles caliber coach? I've seen plenty of hurt from boys working hard, only to be blown out on Friday night. What exactly ARE you waiting for? Is 5-5 acceptable? In the region SD plays in, do you really think they are going to win the region year after year, with the right coach? This will be it for me on this......but I think if all you want to do is hang it on the coach and AD all the time, every time, SD will never build pride in it's program.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

/sad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" /> I felt compelled to say a few things on a few subjects that have been mentioned in this thread!

1) The boys on the football team feel defeated because they have a coach who feels defeated...no team pep talks, tell the boys they have no "heart", I've aleays heard you should praise publically and critize privately and I can guarantee this does not happen on the football team. Negative comments are a constant!

2)At the first of the season Coach Hutchens wrote in the Prep Extra paper that he wanted the football team to "catch the fever" of the baseball team and all the successes they had last year! That will never happen because Hutchens does not have the characterhead baseball coach Howard has, he does not run his program the way Coach Howard does, To do so you would need integrity, discipline and have a love for the players, the program and the community. Even Coach Howards wife is involved with the program...promoting it and attending every event they have. Coach Hutchens lives in Jefferson County...the only time you see his wife is when she makes it the football games. Never offers help in any other way. (Most of the family members do not even wear SD stuff -- you think they are embarrassed)! You cannot just "catch the fever"...the head coach is responsible for creating an atmosphere of winning and positiveness (that is taught by showing the boys you care about all of them) being proud to be the coach and part of the program and the community. Coach Hutchins just simply does not do that! If you are not proud to be here or proud to be involved with the program then find somewhere else to go!

3)The boys do have support from the community.....just attend a ballgame and see how many "doyle" loyalists attend, people who haven't had kids at the school for years...the community supports the school and they want a winning program, or at least one you can be proud of! A lot of people are embarrassed by the behavior that is allowed to be displayed from the players (you think they learned how to stomp and slam their helmets from Coach Hutchens)

4)After the Clinton dibacle, if you were behind the stadium and saw a certain group of boys slamming their helmets into the concrete, cursing at the top of their lungs, screaming at each other, and displaying attitudes that were not appropriate, you would wonder "where was the coach/es?" at this time...this shows the character of the team...they have no discipline...the coaches just let them go off and don't do anything about it. Not all players were involved in this.

5)Someone mentioned the "playmakers" not getting in trouble, this is so true......One "playmaker" has quit the team about 10 times, but they always love on him, pump him up and let him walk right back onto the field and step back into a play...just not something the kids not considered "playmakers" always appreciate. Those "playmakers" are not all even devoted to the program.....in ways that can't even be mentiond here. There have been times when certain players are made to run but others not..(this has happened more than once). There is a clear distinction made for certain players and not others. Even "playmaker" parents mention how differently they are treated (they don't want their player treated differently just because they start, etc.)

6)This is all I can write for now because it so depresses me! I want the best for these boys...the majority of them have worked hard this year in practice and they deserve not to be given up on! I hope they hold their heads high and come out with a couple more wins this year.....salvage their pride and show you kno who they have the biggest heart of all! /sad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

fridaynightlights- I would still like to know which coaches do not support the players and which coaches should be coaching what positions on the team. Which one should be the head man?

We have a couple of coaches that really have what it takes to be a Head Coach; I say this because I think it takes more than just football knowledge to be a good coach. 1 you must be a leader, if you lead the kids others will follow, we have kids that would be leaders, 2 the kids should respect you and each other, 3 you should be able to discipline. Coach Knapp, Corum and Bryant are all respected by the kids and the parents. All 3 really have unique skills. They honestly care about the well being of the kids. They are not here for the recognition, they love the game and want to see the kids succeed in all parts of life, not just football. You can talk to any of these coaches they respect your opinion and you respect theirs. The kids can talk to these coaches and get advice, opinions or just talk. That does NOT happen with our head coach, I personally feel like he is offended when you speak to him. My child will not talk to Hutch because of what he sees and hears on the football field. He has and continues to talk and get advice from the others. I personally would like to see Knapp pick up the ball and run with it, if given the opportunity. Now, I don't know if any of these coaches are even intersted because of the added responsibility. But I think the kids would respond to his style of coaching and teaching.

/sad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" /> I felt compelled to say a few things on a few subjects that have been mentioned in this thread!

1) The boys on the football team feel defeated because they have a coach who feels defeated...no team pep talks, tell the boys they have no "heart", I've aleays heard you should praise publically and critize privately and I can guarantee this does not happen on the football team. Negative comments are a constant!

2)At the first of the season Coach Hutchens wrote in the Prep Extra paper that he wanted the football team to "catch the fever" of the baseball team and all the successes they had last year! That will never happen because Hutchens does not have the characterhead baseball coach Howard has, he does not run his program the way Coach Howard does, To do so you would need integrity, discipline and have a love for the players, the program and the community. Even Coach Howards wife is involved with the program...promoting it and attending every event they have. Coach Hutchens lives in Jefferson County...the only time you see his wife is when she makes it the football games. Never offers help in any other way. (Most of the family members do not even wear SD stuff -- you think they are embarrassed)! You cannot just "catch the fever"...the head coach is responsible for creating an atmosphere of winning and positiveness (that is taught by showing the boys you care about all of them) being proud to be the coach and part of the program and the community. Coach Hutchins just simply does not do that! If you are not proud to be here or proud to be involved with the program then find somewhere else to go!

3)The boys do have support from the community.....just attend a ballgame and see how many "doyle" loyalists attend, people who haven't had kids at the school for years...the community supports the school and they want a winning program, or at least one you can be proud of! A lot of people are embarrassed by the behavior that is allowed to be displayed from the players (you think they learned how to stomp and slam their helmets from Coach Hutchens)

4)After the Clinton dibacle, if you were behind the stadium and saw a certain group of boys slamming their helmets into the concrete, cursing at the top of their lungs, screaming at each other, and displaying attitudes that were not appropriate, you would wonder "where was the coach/es?" at this time...this shows the character of the team...they have no discipline...the coaches just let them go off and don't do anything about it. Not all players were involved in this.

5)Someone mentioned the "playmakers" not getting in trouble, this is so true......One "playmaker" has quit the team about 10 times, but they always love on him, pump him up and let him walk right back onto the field and step back into a play...just not something the kids not considered "playmakers" always appreciate. Those "playmakers" are not all even devoted to the program.....in ways that can't even be mentiond here. There have been times when certain players are made to run but others not..(this has happened more than once). There is a clear distinction made for certain players and not others. Even "playmaker" parents mention how differently they are treated (they don't want their player treated differently just because they start, etc.)

6)This is all I can write for now because it so depresses me! I want the best for these boys...the majority of them have worked hard this year in practice and they deserve not to be given up on! I hope they hold their heads high and come out with a couple more wins this year.....salvage their pride and show you kno who they have the biggest heart of all! /sad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Well said greasedlightnin.. great comments they are all so true, all are so depressing. It's ashamed that we all as a community and a team have to keep eduring this. But I am very very proud of all the boys that keep showing up at practice, and how they keep trying, and they keep working hard. Its just ashamed that the rewards they reap are few and far between.